1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BT 99 Ser # Identification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I recently purchased a Browning BT 99 and having some problems identifying it's age. The charts that Browning publishes are of no help with my gun and this has me stumped.

Serial # 47D24xxx

Can anyone be of help? Also does this gun have chromed barell?

ty

2. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Called Browning and they reported it to be a 1971. The tech says he thinks the gun has chromed barrel. Not very reassuring tbh, but it's more than I knew earlier.

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I have a 37Dxxxxx which Browning told me was a 1973....Their serial #'s dont make alot of sense sometimes.

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

The number before the D is the year. The challenge is that sometime in the early 70's they switched the order of the numbers. A friend of mine has a 47Dxxxx - it's a 1974. A 37Dxxxx would be a 1973. The numbers are "as read" in 1969 and 1970 - Mom's BT is a 69Dxxxx and mine is a 70Dxxxx. Don't know if the numbers are switched for 71 and 72 issues.

5. biking

biking Member

OK this brings up an interesting question...who has the oldest BT-99 out there. I am the original owner of BT-99 serial number "16D8" on the tang. When I was using it in 1968 I lusted for a Herb Orr Superchoke, (remember him and his little building behind the grandstand at the grand ?)...anyway I sent it off and went on to be rather successful with that BT-99 for a few years til I traded up to another scattergun...you know the drill, it's not the nut behind the butt that contributes to shootin' success it's the equipment!!!!!

6. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

You beat us! Daddy has #517 and my sister has #441. Wonder who has 1D68 and if they still shoot with it??

7. biking

biking Member

My guess would be the first 5 or so went to employees and/or are in the Browning display room or museum.

8. biking

biking Member

My guess would be the first 5 or so went to employees and/or are in the Browning display room or museum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt 99 serial 47d25825
browning bt 99 serial number

browning bt 99 serial numbers

browning bt-99 serial numbers
browning bt-99 serialization
browning bt99 serial number
bt 99 serial numbers
bt-99 date of manufacture