1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Bt 99 Grade 3 Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Timbob44, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Hello All, Was wondering what your thoughts on the Browning Bt 99 Grade 3. For those of you that own one or know about them. Im looking at getting one with adjustable stock 34 inch barrel. How do they shoot and are they what you call a high shooter. Thanks, Tim

2. smokinold32

smokinold32 Member

I had one and I loved it. Real nice looking shotgun. It felt real good when I put it up, I just could not shoot it. It seemed like I had to shoot two feet under the target and then I would chip and crack the bird more than I would break the target with some smoke. I remember what I was told by a man who won alot with an 870, " kid that target don't care where the shot came from ". He added a few other words but you get the idea. Good luck with what you decide to go with.

3. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Thanks smokinold32 thats great feed back. Tim

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have had about six different BT-99's including a Grade 6 golden clays model. To me the new grade 3's aren't really worth the extra money. Save your money and find a nice older model in good condition. Get a 34" fixed full or IM model. They shoot great and you can generally land a super nice one for anywhere from $800-$1000. The nice thing is you can shoot it for a few years and get 95% of your money back if you keep it in good condition. I fully recommend buying a used trap gun over a new one. You can generally easily save 30-40% and get something that is near new. I did have a grade 3 XT and I did really like it. One drawback was the browning hardware on the adjustible comb is garbage. I found that mine came loose all the time I was shooting it. I'd avoid any browning with a factory adjustible comb.

5. NCK

NCK Member

Timbob, I have recently got back into trap after many year layoff. My purchase was a GR 3 BT 99 with an adustable comb.

It is a fine shooting and great looking gun. I am very pleased with the quality and the results.

I as others have suggested would go used and then decide. I know at my club there are many 99's

and most shooters seem pleased with their performance.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I bought a vintage Grade 2 Pigeon, about 10 years back... shot it, liked it, but as luck would happen, its sitting in my safe, as I stumbled across a couple of nice 90Ts...

I like the original Pigeons... mine is a 1979 gun, non-MC... the guys call it my "pimp gun"... maybe it'll get shot again...

Good Luck in finding your BT...

Jay

7. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Thanks to all for the great feed back. Tim

8. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

I have a 1994 mfg BT99 golden clays. Professionally added adj comb and adj butt pad. Have shot many 25 straights and a 50 straight in handicap. Great gun. May consider selling if your interested.

9. jwebster

jwebster Member

Mountainsteve just intererst how much for clays thanks jer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.