1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Broadway Troubles ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by buddy123, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

I use a Broadway (1973) for trap doubles.
    Sometimes ,I have a very difficult time to open the action to eject spent shells.
    It just seems to "freeze" and not want to open up.
    When I apply way more than appropriate pressure, it opens up with an unpleasant metallic snap. It seems as though something is going to break at some point.
    Have any of you Broadway users had similar troubles? What do you think the problem might be?
    Thanks,
    Pete Giddings-Canada

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Just wondering if you have the same problem if you only use one barrel?

Eric

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Pete,

It seems almost certain to me that your shells are sticking in the chamber and the extractors/ejectors barely have enough force to get them out of the chamber. There are two things you can do to fix the problem.

First, I would suggest that you polish the chambers of the gun with 00 or 000 steel wool wrapped around a bore/chamber brush and chucked into your drill. Use a little oil and polish them on medium speed for 5 to 10 minutes. While you are at it, run the brush up into the forcing cone and polish it some too.

Second, stop using the el cheapo shells with steel bases because they don't release as well as the shells with brass bases such as Win AA or Rem STS.

I think that if you do step #1 thoroughly, you may not have to do step #2.

Oh, I just thought of a third possible solution. The ejector hammer springs in the forend may be weak and may need replacing, but I would try the other two things first.

Easystreet

4. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Easystreet & Trapboy,
    Thank you for these suggestions.
    I will do some polishing, AND I have been using a gun club hull for the first shot in doubles!!

5. TC

TC TS Member

wjf100st, as a long time Broadway owner, what shouldn't be greased to prevent trouble opening the action? The older I get the more I realize there is more to learn. I recently learned some cleaning tips that really worked well. Tony

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Pete, the firing pins on my Broadway did not fully retract after firing. They stayed partly within the indentation they made in the primer. The top barrel was more of the culprit. The drag makes it very difficult to open to open the action. Try steel covered primers (not STS Win or Fed). That may help.

Others don't have the problem to the same degree, so maybe it is a firing pin length issue.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Is it with the top bbl or the bottom? The top firing pin does not have a return spring. If the hole gets junked up, the pin will not return properly.

Also, if the pins are getting a little flat and square on their noses, this can cause them to stick in the primers.

Doug

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Stop screwing around.....you will make it worse....send it to Art's Gun Shop!

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

>>>Try steel covered primers (not STS Win or Fed).<<<

What are "steel covered primers"? Never heard of them before.

Easystreet

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I've shot a Broadway for years, and I also believe there may be a sticking shell problem. It doesn't happen much lately, but years ago, the chambers would get a light rust over them shortly after shooting. After cleaning and lubricating with RIG, they were OK again.

This hasn't happened for some time, so maybe components have changed over the years. Use a good 10 gauge brush to clean the chambers, some 004 steel wool, etc., then lube them good.

11. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Thank you to all who had suggestions for me to try on my old Broadway.
    I will give these ideas a try.May have to wait a while to shoot the gun.....Pretty cold way up here !!
    Pete Giddings- Canada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.