1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Broadway Question...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rossi396, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Anyone here shooting a Broadway?

I've shot two to date, the second of which I bought. Both guns have a distinct ringing sound when fired. Kind of sounds like a tuning fork in my right ear. I've been told that it's a hammer spring and that with the gun apart, a touch of grease on the spring will remedy this. I was also told that it could go away once the spring finds a "set" position..

Any input would be appreciated. The gun shoots great and I can deal with the ringing. But I'd rather not!

Thanks,

Tony in Pittsburgh

2. plux001

plux001 Member

Tony...I've shot/owned several. They all did it. Some more than others. You'll get used to it. Wish I had my last one back.

Paul

3. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Thanks, Paul. Absolutely crushed the birds last night with my new addition..! Ever heard of a cure?

4. paul7177

paul7177 Member

My Broadway kicks like a mule! Do you have recoil reduction in yours?

5. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

Ah, so that's what that noise is.

As for kick, yes, but I thought that was just me. I use an in-barrel mercury recoil reducer for 16s and handicap, and use 1oz loads.

6. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Can't say the gun kicked that bad. And I still haven't put my 100-straight and Kick-Eez on it, so it doesn't fit perfect..

7. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Some say it don't help, but I have 2 Lightning superposed. They respont to
    forcing cone lengthening for reduction of recoil very well. Takes the pain
    out of shooting them for me. Not an expensive mod.
    Gary Owen

8. Martin_CA

Martin_CA Member

Definitely, having the forcing cones updated helps. Unless you can afford to shoot paper shells! :)

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting my Superposed ST-100 for 32 years....a 500 series KickEez tamed it...before that I had a Griggs Recoil Redirector that I wore out...

10. at 27

at 27 TS Member

i have shot many superposed trap guns over the years and the ones that had that ringing were the broadway rib models. after a short time i stopped noticing it. p.s none of them were bad for recoil.

11. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

I guess I never noticed the gun ringing due to the ringing in my ears.

Fifteen two and a pair is four.

Bill

12. 1964_Superposed

1964_Superposed TS Member

I have the raised rib and mine rings, I happen to like it -:)

13. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Who is recommended for performing the forcing cone lengthening?

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

wjf100st, they were left in the gun safe too long I suppose....<grin>

15. chemist

chemist Member

I have owned 3 Belgium browning broadways, and 3 non broadway (3/8 rib- One, I went whole hog, lengthened cones, opened top choke because they are tight, back bored, ported, ( work by John Allem, ) gracoil, adjustable comb . 30 inch bbls. Shot it OK but had trouble with consistency. Never really pinged. The other three I sold untouched as I did not want to do what I did to he first one. I bought a BT99 and did the comb and gracoil, sold that and bought an XT combo ( used ) did the gracoil ( I have a bad shoulder ) . Just had it rebuilt by Art Gun Shop ( very nice work) . I bought a KX5 - shoot it better, better trigger but it PINGS terribly. Too bad I shoot it so well or I would be looking for another gun. I could not kill the Broadways and I just bought that original one back. Shot it for three rounds and sold it again. New owner is shorter than I am and he loves the gun. I have a 20 gauge lightning from 68 and it goes with me to see God when the time comes. You either love them or hate them and they do kick.

The Daly guns were Miroku and Browning copies- Had them and they also kicked.

16. plux001

plux001 Member

Hi Tony...Not sure there is a "cure" for the "ping". Nature of the gun. I quickly got used to it and now I miss it. Perazzi's just go "boom". Mine must have fit me well, as I found them to be soft shooting, even with heavier loads. Enjoy.

Paul

17. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I most recently had Phillip Crenwelge lengthen forcing cones in my Lightning
    Trap.

18. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

My opinion is that it is the top lever ringing. I have had Brownings that rang and those that did not. I also had a Rottweil trap that rang and a skeet that didn't. Barrel length and harmonics of the gun? You may also note that if you shoot two shells quickly the first shot will ring ant the second will immediately dampen the ringing.

Chuck

19. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Thanks, Chuck..

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I liked the "ping". Mine was B flat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.