1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Broadway, can I shoot steel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by truthseeker, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

I have a 1972 Browning Broadway and I am wondering if it can handle steel shot.

Thanks!

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Definately not.

LA in MA

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

That's one of those yes, no, and it depends questions.

Barrels made post-1964 (or 1968 for some models) are, nominally, made of harder steel and are therefore 'steel capable.'

That said: if you are shooting 'target steel' you won't hurt the gun, but you may open the chokes a thousandth or three after several thousand rounds.

Shooting duck and goose size shot and +1500fps speed ... NO, absolutely not. You WILL 'marble' the barrel at the forcing cones.

Bob

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Browning doesn't recommend using a Superposed with steel, but then they don't recommend using a #1 choke tube with steel either...

I don't throw steel through my '65 Broadway, but my BT99s and Citoris all patterned better using a #1 Full choke with #7 steel... my 90T digests all the #7 it can take and it's a fixed "full"...

Just my experience,

Jay

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on link.

Wayne

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It's your gun, shoot what you want but steel will end up doing more damage then you wish in an old Broadway. I've seen a couple of barrels with the "rings" after firing steel and it didn't take a carload of shells to do the damage. Your choice, but I personally wouldn't!

Big Jack

7. DanLee

DanLee Member

It's that pussy steel they use in those Eurotrash gun barrels, doncha know? Get a real gun.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

yea dan, something like an Ithaca 5E, maybe a Winchester 21, a nice Lefever, oh, how bout a Parker or LC Smith!!

right... sheesh..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting steel shot in belgian broadway trap gun