1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Brings Back The A5 Humpback??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

In the recent American Rifleman there is an article of Browning's return to the A5 Humpback. I included a link to the article above for those who do not get the magazine. Good looking shotgun in my opinion.

grntitan_2009_2503263.jpg

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It is not the humpback ... just a shotgun that looks like one.

Different innards!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I agree Ahab. I should have said that but I thought I'd let people actually read the article. Still a nice looking gun in my opinion.

4. Shawn

Shawn Member

It does bring back memories

Shawn

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

This gun is as much an A5 as the B2000, B80, and A500 were (cosmetic similarities only). Browning is still trying to trade on the A5 name, and I think it'll just end up disappointing a lot of people who think its legitimately a reproduction of the original.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well it got a favorable review and I suspect the guys that buy one will like it - the original A-5 wasn't without its faults and lots of shooters loved them. But I'm with you guys, this new gun is not an A-5 and shouldn't be sold as such.

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

We will never get the "quality" of firearms of the past, but company's will still make runs on those models that made them a company.

The biggest reason is labor cost, lack of qualified laborer's and "Pride" in a finished product.

I still have the two Belgium A5 Brownings my dad and I purchased from a person who took them in on pawn. Paid $200 back in 1970 for both of them, they were selling at the price of $444 apiece in Browning Flyer then.

The Japan models are nice,but not as nice as the Belgiums. This new model, only time will tell. It looks like a gas operated action, where the original was Recoil operated action.

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

"It looks like a gas operated action,"

Can't go by looks alone, I guess...

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

It's inertial, like the Benelli's. I like the looks of it. Might buy one when I get back.

10. DanLee

DanLee Member

I have a couple A5 Sweet Sixteens. These new guns are not A5s. You can put lipstick on a pig and call it Monica, but it won't give you a good BJ.

Bill

11. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Have 9 Belgium A-5's and a bunch of extra barrels. I am not going to badmouth and talk dome and gloom about this "new A-5" until I get a chance to handle one. If it fits and handles well will probably buy a walnut and steel 12 gauge. I hope it comes out in other gauges.

12. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

I have one Belgium A-5, 16 ga, I am with Doug, won't talk them down til I find that reason. I hope I don't find that reasoning. Would love to own all the gauges they offer, if they are worthy!

Danlee, I hope yopu don't really know that about the lipstick from experience???
    Dave B.

13. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Dave B, I am "Dbl Auto" not "Double Auto". I only have one A-5, a sweet 16. Browning put an anodized aluminum on this new A5, just like the on the Browning Double Auto. I do think the best A5's where from the late 50's to early 60's. I like the new ones and the old ones, but will continue to buy the old over the new. I can buy 2-3 gently used Browning Double Autos for what one of these new A5's will retail for in a shop.
    Doug Allison

14. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

What guns in the American Rifleman don't get favorable reviews?

Terry Sandlin

15. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Terry is right, you don't find many bad reviews in any gun publication

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I must be missing it. last time I checked I could get a near new to new A-5 3 inch gun with choke tubes for far less then 1000 dollars.

Why on earth would I ever need to buy anything else? If I wanted to hunt ducks and geese with my A-5 I can certainly still do it. I can do it with a new or near new gun if I wanted to and they shoot steel shot just fine. 3 1/2 inch shells are a joke for the most part and most of the guys you talk to shoot 3" inch steel shot shells anyway.

I say that the old A-5 is just as good as ever for any individual that wants to use one.Jeff

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I use the superX 3 and can't beat it ----JMO---JSB

18. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I think there will be an initial buying interest in these "new" A5's. However, the problem with A5's is either you love the "humpback"or you don't. It will be interesting how this plays out. Maybe there will be a whole new generation of "Humpback Lovers".

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Like DoubleAuto said, Humpie Brownings are either loved or hated with not a whole lot of people on the fence. My hunting partner has always said that humpback Brownings are like Volkswagons.... You either love them or hate them. Course that was 30 years ago before volkwagons became what they are now!

My point is just that you can buy used guns for far less then the price of many other guns and they are as good today as they always were.

You don't need anything special to shoot steel shot.

I do not shoot them any more and I pretty much use a SX-2 when shooting a 12ga gun but it's because they kick super soft and I have never had a single malfunction with my sx-2 duck guns.

That said... I sure as hell would not feel handicapped buying a near new 3 inch A-5 with choke tubes off of gunbroker.com and doing just as well as I do with my SX-2. In fact if it kicked as soft, I might never have left my Browning hunpbacks for duck shooting. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.