1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FLIP, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLIP

FLIP Member

anybody shoot one? looking to get one for fun shoots and maybe sporting, just looking for other thoughts

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Get the trap model with the cutoff button...otherwise, loading single shells is a pain in the ass.

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I can vouch for the BPS. Mine has been to the bottom of the river, stuck in the mud, bounced off ice, branches and rocks, and has had countless magnum duck loads and trap loads run through it. I am also impressed with the Invector Plus chokes. I own a 12 and a 20 and find them to be like a Timex watch-they take a licking and keep on ticking. You wont go wrong with one.

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I used to shoot one, an older trap model. Everybody talks about how hard it is to load for trap. Here's how I did it. After your shot before you pull back the forend put a shell in the magazine, then pull it back and drop the empty into your hand. When it's your turn to shoot close it and shoot. I've shot 870's and model twelve's and it's just as easy.

Mike.

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The BPS is not hard to use for Trap. A video is worth 10,000 words:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvM4GmBAfYY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvM4GmBAfYY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

It's a great shooting gun. I have owned three trap models, two from the 70's and one made a few years ago. The monte carlo stocks seem to fit most shooters. Draw backs to the gun is, most gun shop owners will not take the gun in on trade as they say they are hard to resell as most trap shooters don't like bottom ejection. Being left handed I liked bottom ejection. Suggest don't take the trigger out of the gun as it is a pain to put back in. I found if I took the stock off the gun It made putting the trigger back in the gun a little easier. Every time someone mentions the BPS on this site, one of the shooters mentions how he can take the trigger in and out of this gun really fast. If he can indeed do what he says, he might be the first person that doesn't have a problem reinstalling the trigger. I would purchase a bps again, if I intended to keep the gun, otherwise you will have a tough time trying to resell the gun and most likely have to take a big loss.
    Steve Balistreri

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

'smoke,

That would be me. Trigger removal/install is easy on these guns. You just have to do it a certain way. I never remove the stock for this. I wish I had a way of making a video so that I could post it on youtube. The whole trick is to use the shell lifter to hold the cartridge bars in place.

The BPS line of shotguns are very well made and shoot great. My only complaint is loading shells on the subgage models with gloves on. I have big hands and this can be a bit of a chore at times if I have on a pair of hunting gloves.

Great value in todays market.

ss

8. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Bought a micro trap for my wife and had Rods Custom Stocks put an adjustable comb on it, she loves it and with the magazine cut off it is very easy to load.

John

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Short Shucker:
    I also wish you could post a video showing how you install that trigger. Some of my friends have trouble with that too. I think the BPS is a great gun, In fact I will look on utube to see if anyone has a video on installing the BPS trigger.
    Steve

10. oletymer

oletymer Member

Brownells sells a simple tool that holds the bars in place when reinstalling the trigger assy.

11. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I owned a BPS for a short time. Those were the best scores I ever shot in sporting clays. It was just another gun on a long list that I should have never gotten rid of.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Great shooting guns although I don't think you will ever make a true trap gun out of one. (I do have a trap model). Best application is as a field gun. People fight the single load process too much, if done like MikeP offered, it is a simple process that becomes second nature very quickly. The mag cut off is a total waste.

All in all, the BPS is a real value on the new or used gun market.

13. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Can you install a release trigger in a BPS? Thanks.

14. FLIP

FLIP Member

does the trap model have a 3" chamber also? looks like i may have a BPS in the safe

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

bubbaw,

No release. No 'smith will do one. The trigger is a lot different than any other slide gun.

FLIP,

Trap model is 2 3/4" chambered. Field models are 3".

ss

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

So I assume that since this is just a Browning Mfgd M37 Ithaca that all of the loading tricks in the video above will work the same way.

I have a M37 and it was my first shotgun. I paid $100 for it in 1973. It has a Cutts Compensator on it and I have all but one choke tube for it.

I took the gun apart in 1977 to put new wood on it and have never finished the project. I will be finishing it this year as long as I learn how to checker pretty soon. (I have several projects on hold for checkering.)

I want to do a english stock with a strait grip for the M37 and a standard Corncob foreend.

I could hit very well with this gun. I loved it, and still do.

Randy

17. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have a field model I will sell.

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

BPS--Ithaca 37--Rem. 17 (20ga. only)-- all very similar, Browning design, excellent guns & no trouble to single load once you get the "hang of it" shot one for several years, bbl got bent & it shot low & left, got a decent trade on an 870 so traded it off. Would I buy another one? You betcha, just got switched over to Rems. & liked them just as well. Ross Puls

19. locdoc

locdoc Member

I have a Trap model I would sell.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

20. FLIP

FLIP Member

thanks short shucker.......ross bent barrel???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bps trap for tall shooters

browning bps trapshooters

browning bps trigger work