1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BPS Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I picked up my BPS Trap last night. I had read on this site about the trouble loading the single shell required for trap, without the need to cycle the pump.

I shot 6 rounds today, preparing for a shoot at Buckhorn Sunday. I followed the instructions, found on a thread here (but I'm unable to search and pull up), about how to load a single shell into the chamber by slightly moving the forearm forward. I came across several threads about how hard the gun is to load.

Problem is, no one told me about the new switch at the bottom of the gun that converts the gun from repeater fire to single fire. Moving this switch to single fire locks the internal slides so you can load a single shell directly into the chamber of the gun. This information is not even in the manual for the gun.

By the way, I shot a 95 right out of the box. I then shot one-eyed, which was just done on a lark, and shot 49 of 50.

For an inexpensive trap gun, this thing rocks! The new model is a well-built, well-thought-out trap gun.

Danny

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Jackson,

Just check my score after Sunday. If I don't shoot mid-nineties, I'll buy an Ithaca, BT99, or whatever you say.

Problem is, after shooting the Beretta cream puffs, these Browning break-opens and pumps are killing my shoulder. Ouch!

Danny

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Danny,

The guns being referenced in the threads you are talking about is the "Shot Show" guns. These didn't have the selector that the originals and newest version have.

I love the way the way a BPS trap handles and I've owned a couple over the last few years.

They are excellent doubles guns as well.

If you ever get a chance to try a IM Comp-N-Choke through your BPS trap, you'll be amazed at the pattern it throws!

ec90t

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i have a browning bps full choke trap gun made in the 70's and a browning trap purchased a couple of years ago for $499.00. i am left handed and love the bottom ejection. the newer stocks seem to fit just about everyone that shoulders them. they are smoke poles and i enjoy shooting these guns.
    steve balistreri

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My duck iron is a BPS original with the magazine cutoff. Sure comes in handy when yuou need to slip in a goose load in a hurry.

HM

6. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Any thoughts on the micro version of the bps? I have been thinking about one for my wife to shoot, she is not bothered by recoil but the full size model does not fit her very well. She has more problems with barrel ballance.

Rick

7. The Old Beater

The Old Beater TS Member

I have a BPS that I really love also. I shoot left handed so it is user friendly. The gun really fits me. In the beginning, I had trouble loading the gun because the magazine cut-off switch would not stay in place. I corrected this be taking out the ejector fingers so that the gun is permanently single shot. Now it's easy to load and the shell just drops out into my hand. Be careful with reloads, however, because some the the steel base shells don't re-size well and may get stuck in the chamber. I only shoot brass base reloads for that reason. For recoil I bought a Break-o recoil reducer, the magazine cap one-$60 and a put a mercury filled recoil reducer in the stock. You can also take the butt plate off and fill it with lead shot or fishing weights. It changes the balance but you will reduce the recoil and be able to shoot longer. Finally, I like this gun because I can find parts for it on-line and fix it myself. Only one thing has gone wrong with it over the years and that was the action bar that let go. Bought the gun used and I think it was made in the 80's. This is a great gun for the average trapshooter who shoots left handed. I'll always own a BPS.

B. Keller

8. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Rick, I bought my wife the BPS Micro Trap for her first trap gun,she loves it and has no problem handling it. The magazine cutoff makes it very easy to single load. She is not bothered by recoil with my 1oz reloads, I shot the gun and did not think it had much of a kick. Only thing we are going to do to it is have the comb cut and made adjustable,should be perfect after that.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

breako recoil reduction system for bps

browning bps magazine cut off
browning bps magazine cut off switch
browning bps trap
browning bps trap patterns
browning bps trap switch
can the browning bps handle trap shooting