1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

browning bps trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 68sscamaro, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 68sscamaro

68sscamaro TS Member

any opinions on the new bps trap ...
  2. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I sure would like to see one. Its my under standing that they are not going to put them out till early next winter. That would be bad if they waited past the trap shooting season to release them. O well, I could have 3 diff. guns by then.
  3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I shoot one of the," shot show special", BPS Trap's now and like it very much. I believe that with the additional touches that they made on the new ones it will be that much better. The only complaint that I had with mine was the trigger. I had my local gunsmith tune it up and no more complaints. I will be ordering a new one shortly so that I will have two of them. If it takes a while to get it in, then so be it. If anyone in the central Indiana area wants to shoot mine they are more than welcome. Just contact me and we'll meet up somewhere.

Alf,

That one is a shot show gun. The new one that is a standard catalogue item has a nitrate reciever and a magazine feed cut off. This will enable a shooter to load the gun easier.

ec90t
  4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pat, if you are refering to the "old BPS Trap" as being the one that was made in the early '80's, I belive that the only difference is in the barrel. The shot show and 2007 models all have the .740 Inv+ barrel. I'm not sure about the engraving or any other cosmetic changes. I believe that the new 2007 model's mag.feed cut off is new as well.

ec90t
  5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks for the info Skip! I didn't realize the older ones had the mag cut off. As far as the recoil, mine shoots as soft as a XT. I've never had a problem with recoil like I have with a M 12 or 870.

ec90t
  6. claydust0069

claydust0069 TS Member

I just happened to speak with Browning today about this very gun as I have one on order with my dealer. They told me that there are more than enough guns coming in to cover all the back order and that the first ones will ship mid to late May. They told me that they are wanting to get this gun in the public's hands asap. I have had good experiences with Browning in the past and have no reason to think otherwise now.
  7. oletymer

oletymer Member

The original BPS trap came out in the late 70s. I bought one new in 78. They had fixed full barrels. They had 30" modified trap accessory barrels available which I also have. And yes those early guns had the magazine cut off.

Karl
  8. sumosized

sumosized TS Member

I talked to Browning this evening and they told me late May too. Said I could expect to have on in my hands early June.
  9. cityslicker

cityslicker TS Member

I am thinking of purchasing this gun from cabelas. More specifically the micro trap version. I am looking for a gun I can use for trap at my local range as well as for preserve pheasant. Would any of you recomend this? I figured the shorter 28 barrel would give me the best of both worlds.
  10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

cityslicker,

They shoot flat enough for field work and are light enough to carry all day. The ability to change out the choketubes will be a big plus. The only draw back that I can see with the micro is the reduced stock length. Unless you need the reduced length. Personally I can't tell the difference in the swing between a 28" and a 30" barrel. I would buy the one that fits you the best.

Very nice guns though. Buy one and you won't regret it!

ec90t
  11. cityslicker

cityslicker TS Member

do you feel the 30 inch barrel may be to long for hunting. I only considered the micro cause I figured it would be close to a regular field gun with its 28. thanks for the help, with $600 on the line I wanr to be sure I am making the right decision.
  12. claydust0069

claydust0069 TS Member

ec90t, how much trouble is the loading of the shotshow special from a couple of years back versus one that has the mag cutoff? I have shot many Brownings but never a BPS so I am totally unfamiliar with their bottom loading mechanism. If I can pick up a shotshow special and get it in my hands now instead of having to wait for a "possible" May delivery then I may just do it.
    Thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.