1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BPS Trap??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by thorman75, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorman75

thorman75 TS Member

I just picked up my new Browning BPS Trap. I read on some previous threads that loading this gun, especially on the trap line was difficult at best and 1 poster said the gun shouldnt be allowed on the trap field. Well I just cleaned the gun(covered in grease) and decided to dry load it a few times in the garage. I don't see the big deal. The shell dropped right in the tube. With the action to the rear you can tell even from a distance the gun is open. I have a feeling that this gun is overlooked by alot of people. The fit finish is much better than an 870 and at $650.00 new it's a bargain. Now to see how it breaks em!

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Good luck and have some great shooting ... once you get used to its functioning it will most likely treat as good as or possibly even better than your wife.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with the BPS per se. Its just not the easiest gun to start new shooters on, due to the bottom loading, which, once you get used to it is no big deal (I often hunt with and Ithaca Model 37, which is very similar.)

The other post was by a guy buying a "team gun" for folks new to trap shooting who might not have their own gun.

For that purpose, there may be better choices than the BPS.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If one takes the time to figure out how to load and unload it without shucking it fifty times, it is ok. Spend a few minutes on it with a dummy round, and get your routine down.

I don't like them for new shooters. Period.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I shot a BPS for trap many years ago. I sold it and bought an 870 trap grade which I still shoot.

It was not a problem getting used to the bottom loading as the BPS had a magazine cutoff that allowed you to directly insert a shell into the chamber.

After shooting it for a while with Red Dot reloads. I wanted to clean the trigger group. The manual and friends said not to do this as the trigger group was complicated and to take the BPS to a gunsmith. I did not like this feature so I sold it.

My BPS had a very good full choke, and I won some money at turkey shoots with it. Also, it had a very tight chamber and would not easily accept the Federal Paper reloads I was shooting at the time.

IMO, millions of new shooters have started with an 870 and many of these ended up doing quite well.

Given a choice between a BPS and an 870, I would take the 870 every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bps trap model 142 user manual

my bps trap model