1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BPS Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by g7777777, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont like the bottom load and eject- to much gun rotating and you cant tell easily if the action is open or not

I dont think bottom ejects have a place on the target ranges

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

TT team,

I use to shoot one and found it a very enjoyable gun to shoot (someone offered me too much money for mine). The action is sturdy, the gun points very well, and recoil is the softest of any stock slide action gun that I've shot.

Loading the gun has been simplified since the addition of the selector on the mag tube. This keeps the carrier lifted up to ease shooting single shots.

As far as the safty thing about being able to tell if the action is open at a distance, you only have to look at the forearm!

The down side of the gun. The BPS Trap has a very poor trigger in stock trim (at least I've never shot one with a good trigger). This is easily cured for about $50 and a couple of days at the gunsmith.

The BPS Trap has the same INV+ barrel as the rest of the Browning line of competition shotguns. Premium choke tubes are easily had and the factory .741 back-bore promotes good patterns and less felt recoil. They also have a "Micro" version of this gun that has a reduced LOP and 28" barrel from the factory.

The BPS Trap is by far and away the best deal out there in a trap gun!

ec90t

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I almost forgot the best thing about the BPS, You don't shower the shooter to the right with empties while shooting doubles! Because, doubles should only be shot with a slide gun!

ec90t

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a shooting coach, I agree with the old heads that advise against the BPS. Too much commotion, more safety issues, more trouble to load and unload for the newer shooter.

If you MUST get a pump, get the 870 Trap. Best bet is a good used 1100 trap. Kids don't need a lot of recoil.

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

I agree with ec90t, If you can't tell the gun is action open then how do you tell a auto to your right has the action open? All you have to do is practice loading the gun and that is not a problem. I don't rotate the gun to load, simply insert a loaded round and close the slide. There is no rocket science to shooting one of these guns, only stupidity would make derogatory comments.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Probably nothing at all wrong with using a BPS, but it might not be the "best" choice for new shooters.

I would consider an 1100. Great starter trap gun, though probably more costly than a BPS.

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

MX8 4me, you just proved my point.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Oletyner- how many IDs do you have on here-

You must be trying to sell a BPS trap?????????????????

By the way-- there are many times on a range that others should be able to tell or need to know if a gunns action is closed-- as mentioned- you cant do that with a BPS

All of us have personally seen Adults- men and women and Teens or kids flip these guns every which way to get them loaded- or unloaded--- despite your saying it shouldnt be so- oletner- it is so- deal with reality- not the way you want the world to be- several on here have posted realities- you have posted insults

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

One ID, not selling a BPS, look at the handle on the slide. Karl

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with the BPS set up for trap but I do enjoy shooting 20 and 28 gauge BPS field guns for skeet. I have no problem what ever with safely loading or handling these guns. Not only is it possible to load the gun with out a bunch of awkward rotating motions but the bottom eject/load design encourages good gun handling. If the loading sequence is done properly, the gun muzzle remains stationary and is naturally angled down and down range. It only takes about 2 seconds to get a pair of shells in the magazine and then pump one into the BBL. No problem keeping pace with any other action design.

For the new/young trap shooter though, I would advise the 1100 remington or 391 Beretta over any pump gun. The BPS is really at its best in the field.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This thread is about a suitable trap gun for young athletes. The BPS does not qualify.

It was well said that it is POSSIBLE to competently load the thing on the trap line. Young athletes need a gun that is EASY to load competently on the trap line.

It is quite enough to get young and new shooters to be safe and hit the target with any type of firearm. Among other chores, I train young athletes at a club with one of the largest SCTP's in the nation. The BPS, is, from experience, NOT the gun for a new shooter.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

A suitable trap gun is any gun that fits a young shooter and that a young shooter can operate. Part of a young shooter learning how to shoot is learning how there individual gun functions.

A BPS does function a little different than a regular pump but once a young or old shooter learns how his gun functions it should never be a problem again ... the question is do they either know how to read the instructional manual or does there instructor/coach know how to teach them the functioning and operations of there gun.

After a couple a boxes of shells it will be like 2nd nature to the new shooter on exactly what they need to do ... how many of us flip our gun open, remove the empty, load a new shell and get ready to shoot again without even looking down? It becomes second nature instinctive movements.

13. oletymer

oletymer Member

Well said Lumper. Some people have a hard time understanding that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

factory bps trap stocks