1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BPS.. TRAP???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MrBT, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBT

MrBT Member

The old model BPS Trap Grade guns had the selector switch on the bottom that allowed you to select single action so the carrier forks stayed up. I shot a BPS trap for years and yes, the bottom eject becomes second nature to you. After you shoot one for a while, you will find yourself literally sliding the gun open after your shot and mindlessly catching the empty.

2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I bought one a year ago ...being left handed it seemed a good choice.If you reload, you can get used to catching the shell, then putting in your next shell.When it's your turn to shoot, push pump forward to load. this can get hectic on a 2-3 man squad ! I only shoot mine occasionaly ,as I have a BT100 and a SKB unsingle.The BPS Trap does point nice.I always carry it with the barrel pointing up as one complaint with bottom load is that people can't tell if it's loaded.

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"I always carry it with the barrel pointing up as one complaint with bottom load is that people can't tell if it's loaded."

Those complainers must be too "slow" to see the very obvious position of the fore end? (Sometimes, these complainers are the same people that will "sweep" you with the muzzles of their o/u or single bbl.)

As for loading the BPS for trap singles, they are similar to an Ithace M37 in that regard, there is another method;

I shot an Ithaca M37 Supreme Trap from 1972 to 1976 steadily and became quite proficient at it. The same system works for the BPS.

With the gun empty and open, hold the gun right side up, muzzle slightly down, as you do with any repeating trap gun when on station.

"Bump" the fore end forward about 1/4", this will cam the carrier up to the upper part of its cycle, clearing a path to the chamber.

Insert a shell into the ejector port and "thumb" it directly into the chamber. This is the part that takes just a bit of practice.

Pull the for end back, the carrier will "drop" and now the shell cannot fall out even if the gun is tipped back.

When it is your turn to shoot, close the gun and shoulder it in one motion.

With a bit of practice, this can be done easily, quickly and you keep pace with the trap squad. There is no loading one in the mag or cycling the action in this procedure.

This loading method works pretty well, for me, but I still prefer a side ejecting gun for my own use.

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

With the BPS trap that has the selector you don't have to bump the forend forward. The early and the current year have the selector. I believe they made a shot show special that did not have the selector but I am not sure of that. With just a little practice loading and unloading is a breeze. As far as people not knowing if the action is open, as stated above if you can't tell by where the forearm is you need to start thinking. Karl

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Rem870TB,

Your loading technique is spot on, as this is how I load my "Shot Show" BPS Trap. I can reload/change shells just as fast as anyone shooting an 870 or M12.

oletymer,

You are correct about the shot show guns not having the selector.

TinMan88,

I love the bottom eject, because I've been know to shoot doubles with mine. This way, the empty from the first shot, doesn't bother the shooter next to me. And yes, they point and swing nicely! The only two things needed to make a great shooter out of these, are a trigger job and a good aftermarket choke tube or two.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bps trap

bps trap show shot
browning bps r s switch
browning bps s r switch
browning bps sr switch

browning bps trap

browning trap selector
what is the s and r slector on a browning bps