1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning BPS Trap, thoughts, comments

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wingmaster78, Jul 29, 2013.

1. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

My son won a Browning BPS Trap gun a few weeks ago. Does anybody have or shoot one? It is a beautiful gun, of course they all are when they are new!

Curious about whether to keep it or use it for trade.

Thanks in advance.
    Wingmaster78

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Have one and its a super shooting pumpgun...it fit right out of the box and perfect POI for me...the single shot mode switch makes using it super simple..I think you'll actually love it once you try it

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Wingmaster 78:
    I have owned three of them. Two from the 70's or 80's and a newer model with choke tubes. I am left handed and I really liked the bottom ejection.

The gun is a smoke pole, and the Monte Carlo stock fits just about every one. I loved shooting the gun and did very well with it.

The problems I encountered with this gun are the following. The gun is hard to trade especially at a gun store. I found a few gun shops refusing to take the gun in on trade. Reason being, They said a lot of shooters do not like bottom ejection as some feel the gun is difficult to load (I did not feel that way).

I also found it very difficult to put the trigger back into the gun once I took it out to clean. I found the easiest way to place the trigger back in the gun was to take the stock off first. In my case, it helped me to insert the trigger back into the gun.

I don't own any BPS guns any longer and to be honest I wish I did.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I won a BPS years ago and I shot it very well, only problem for me it kicked too much.I put 3 dummy lead filled shells in the tube to tame it.I kept it for a year, then sold it...Great for a beginner gun...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your son didn't happen to win that at Rend Lake by any chance did he? Boy on our High School team won the same gun last year. He shoots it well although he refuses to abandon the gun that won him that Browning. Anyway, as stated above, good shoot'n pump gun.

6. Mel Moose

Mel Moose TS Member

I have a BPS 410 that I would not trade fro anything, love the bottom eject / feed and crushes targets on the skeet field and the sporting as well.

Yetters

7. ky4some

ky4some Member

I have a BPS Trap and love it. It's an older model in with fixed full choke. Smokes targets when I do my part. Easy to operate and fits me great.

Mike Kamer

8. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Keep it!!! I have one and I shoot it often. Great shooting gun. Have had mine for at least 10 years. One of the newer ones. It loves 8`s.

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Bought a new one for my son a while back - he decided he didn't want to shoot and it's been sitting in the safe. Took it with me last week to try it out myself and damned if I didn't like it. It's a bit short for me but other than that it was great - shot a 23 with it first time out. Bottom eject a problem to load??? only for those who won't read the instructions. I'm keeping it for sure.

10. cnsane

cnsane Member

I bought one in the '70s and still use it to shoot rising cotton-tails. Like Smoke said, they're a real pain in the ass to get back together.

11. Rob501

Rob501 Member

I have two BPS's a trap model and a 20 gauge. I shoot booth of these at everything and do great. I have stopped shooting my Beretta's at trap to use this gun. By far the best trap gun you can get for the money and since it was free that's even better. Put some fancy wood on it and even the guys with the K guns will be jealous. Well, maybe not but still a great gun. Keep it. Rob

12. CalvinMD

That is awesome looking Rob!!

13. dgoron

dgoron Member

Does anyone make a release trigger for these?

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

One of the best guns out there for money! It is one of those guns that just about anyone can shoot well. Bill

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Best Trap gun on the market for the money! Built like a tank! The single switch on the newer Trap versions make loading a snap. Choke tubes make them versatile. Keep the gun! They are worth more than the money you will get for it! Martinpicker

16. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I had a field model BPS many years ago and loved it. I never had a chance then to use it for clays.

I do hear that on the clay fields (skeet, trap, and sporting) bottom eject pump guns like the BPS and Ithaca 37 make some adjacent shooters uncomfortable because it can be difficult to readily see that the action is open.

I have noticed this myself when I observe someone walking with a BPS or Ithaca 37...it can be difficult (at a distance) to discern if the pump handle is back or not.

Most of the side-eject pump shooters (Model 12's, 870's, etc) carry the gun in such a way that it is pretty obvious that the action is open. I am not sure how that could be accomplished with the bottom-eject models.

bluedsteel

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Great shooters. I have owned 2 and only sold the last one when I was out on disability last year and need some cash!-They are target grinders!!!

18. CalvinMD

Not hard to tell at all if the slide is back on a BPS if you are even vaguely familiar,...as for hard to re-install trigger that's phooey too if you know a couple tricks...I use a dab of super thick wheel bearing grease to hold the mag stops(the two pieces of steel)in their channels in the receiver and the trigger slips right in..theres nothing harder about this gun over an 870..its just different and most folks never take the time to get proficient with its care and maintainance..shooting it well comes natural

19. psfive

psfive Member

I have a field model and as a lefty I love it. Fit is good and the bottom eject if the best. It also puts the ejected shells just in front of me, not somewhere out there to the left. Paul in GINEbraska.

20. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I had one and didn't like it at all. kicked a lot, bottom ejection problematic.

They aren't popular enough to ever gain value.

Keep if you like the feel, get rid of it for what you can if not.

Search tags for this page
bps trap problem

bps trap review

bps trap reviews
browning bps poi
browning bps trap gun poi
browning bps trap poi

browning bps trap review

browning bps trap reviews