Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Browning BPS or 870 Trap.... Can't decide

14K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  Rastoff 
#1 ·
Browning BPS or 870 Trap.... Can

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to decide between these two for my first dedicated trap gun and it isn't easy. Personally, I think a new 870 Trap is overpriced so I am looking for a used one. The BPS Trap seems to be a steal at $650 new. Around here, a used BPS Trap is selling for $75-100 less than a new one so the new one looks more appealing to me. As of right now I am leaning towards a new BPS Trap but am reluctant because it doesn't seem to be very popular in the Trap world. Is this because of the bottom ejection or is the gun inferior to the 870 in terms of quality? (It doesn't look like it to me). So far the only negatives I'm hearing about are:
1.) Bottom Ejection
2.) Not as easy as an 870 to breakdown

These are not deal breakers in my book. Am I missing something? Any comments from BPS owners would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
the bottom eject is no problem at all once you are used to it ...the single select feature is sweet!,..I personally like the BPS over the 870...and if you're game for shooting doubles with a pump...the bottom eject will keep you on much friendlier terms with the squad mates beside you

#5 ·
Probably should decide based on how the guns fit you, and how they appeal to you. If you can shoot both, do so.

I had a Classic Trap, and it didn't seem to fit me right. I should have cut the comb and added adjustment, but just didn't do it.

I had a BPS, it fit me pretty well, but I got bored with it and sold it. (It's a personality defect of mine.) The gun was built like a tank, as far as I'm concerned. Get one with the single vs. repeating selector.

Danny

#7 ·
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HvM4GmBAfYY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My vote is for the BPS. A little less refined, but every bit as good quality wise. I actually like the engraving better.

By the way, I have both. When I reach for one, it's usually the BPS I pick up. The only thing missing from the BPS is a release trigger.

#10 ·
Both are good, as said above fit should be your main consideration. I have had both and stayed with the 870 because they seemed a little more user friendly & easier to disassemble for cleaning, also easier to get parts. I now shoot a M.31 TC because I like the way they fit me, but they are scarce and a little pesky to clean. Ross Puls

#13 ·
If you really want a quality pump trap gun get one of the new Ithaca trap pumps. I have owned an 870 Comp. and still own a BPS trap and while they are both good guns they pale in comparison to the Ithaca. The guns trigger and smoothness of action is far better than the Rem. or Browning. It also shoots great.

#15 ·
Started shooting trap last year and decided on the BPS. The amount of engraving was something I reallly liked about the BPS. Like Ratsoff's video showed it is very easy to load and unload without turning the gun over or even to look at the gun while you're doing it.

Good luck with whatever one you choose.

Scott

#16 ·
For years I shot a Model 12 and loved it. Regret that I ever sold it. Hungry for a pump again, I prowled the purveyor tents at the Missouri State Shoot this week. I shouldered Model 12s, 870s by the dozen and the came across a new BPS for under $600. It han the switch to single shot for easy loading and the invector plus choke tubes. I believe that will be my next gun! Martinpicker

#17 ·
Shucking the shell twice to feed into the barrel could become a pain in the backside after awhile. Other than that I say close your eyes and mount both guns. After you mount them open your eyes and see how your looking down the barrel. Buy the one than you are looking down the barrel the best on. Break-em all. Jeff

#18 ·
Nice video presentation never shot a BPS but shot a lot of 870 and Model 12's they have a long history of success pumps point very nicely and were an American invention. I still have a Model 12 for trap just love to shucklove the sound it also brings fear into intruders hearts I keep a shorty model 12 under the bed called sweet Pea I know if I heard that shucking sound I would be heading south in a big hurry.

#19 ·
<blockquote><I>Shucking the shell twice to feed into the barrel could become a pain in the backside after awhile.</I></blockquote>

Jeff,

Did you watch my video? You don't need to "shuck the shell twice" to load the BPS. Just pop it in the chamber, and close the action. It's actually easier for me than the 870.

#21 ·
Rastoff, I've never shot that gun. I've seen several shooters at our club shoot them. They all seemed to double shuck the gun to load it. Maybe they were placeing the shell is the incorrect spot for this to happen. They are not a common shotgun at my range. I'm glad you like yours. Break-em all. Jeff

#23 ·
Jeff,

A lot of BPS shooters do that very motion to load. The reason they do that is they don't know how to do it any other way. This is why I made the video.

Both the 870 and BPS are good Trap guns. I own both. By all means a shooter should pick whatever suits them best. I just don't want anyone to take a pass on a great gun because they don't know how easy it is to load it for one shot.

#25 ·
To me maintenance is the question.

Are you going to clean the internal parts yourself or pay to have it done?

If you are going to pay, buy either gun.

If your a DIY kind of person, GO 870

Al Lingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.