1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Blow up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by otnot, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I witnessed a Browning O/U XT blow up today. He was shooting skeet with reloaded old style Winchester shells. The bottom barrel ruptured causing the top barrel to bend forward far enough to dent the rib about 3 inches behind the end of the barrel. There was nothing left of the forend and the buttsock was shattered. It appeared that the mono block is in fact a two piece unit and was not soldered very well. It sounded like a 10ga. Luckily no one was injured.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It wasn't coho, was it?

Neil

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It's a good thing it didn't happen at Quantico!

ss

4. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I saw a toilet do the same thing, many years ago.....made one hell of a mess

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Any chance of a couple pics of the gun????

Jim

6. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Any chance of a couple pics of the toilet????

Andrew.

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

No big deal all guns will blow up if you clog the barrel with a bad reload.
    Let see some photo's if you can. I'm glad no one was hurt.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Too bad it was a Browning because the K80`s were getting a bad rap .

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

What kind of load does it take to explode a toilet?

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

Sorry I didn't take any pictures. But it sure rattled everyones nerves. Neil I think it was more of a Chinook explosion.

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Must have happened after St Patty`s Day , Cornbeef and cabbage ??? Just a guess .

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

m80's I have heard work pretty good on the toilets,

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

While I have never actually blown up a toilet, I have chipped the porcelain in one or two.

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Are those the previously unexploded K-80's?????

Sorry to hear about the toilet. Nothing worse than the waste of a perfectly

good crapper.

15. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have shot skeet and I have watched it for years (it will never replace trap for fun) but it was not until this post that I started thinking hard about that gun blowing up.

I have been hit with target chips on station 1 and on 7 many times. I know this would be a 1 in a million chance but could a piece of target go down the barrel and cause it to blow?

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Incidents always give me reason to pause. Here in little place called Delaware, and at the state run shooting facility, I know of 3 guns that were blown up. One is a guy who did not use a powder scale and did not really care what components were used (parts is parts he figured). The other two were a K-gun and a Remington autoloader, both with factory loads. I keep telling the story of a guy I shot with in Millington a couple of years ago who had a factory shell (Estate) that went off and sounded at least twice as loud as normal and there was tremendous smoke and visible crap that came out of the barrel when he shot - maybe it is a good thing he shoots a Perazzi.

So I started shooting trap 10 years ago and have seen three guns bite the dust and there was a try at a fourth (and I was shooting on the post next to him). Although you would not know it from my averages/class/or yardage, along the way, I have registered more than 100 thousand targets and shot countless practice and league targets. Even if the probability of all heck breaking loose the next time I pull the trigger is small, I wonder....

17. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have shot next to this guy before at the 16, and if it would have happened there someone could have gotten hurt. The shrapnel was spread 15-20 feet on both sides and forward of the person involved. It was a good thing he had gloves on or I think his forend hand would have been injured. As it was it started to bruise immediately.

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

This gun could possibly be a newer K-Browning ???

19. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Otnot are coming up for the singles marathon in april?Bring Dave and Carol too!!!

20. 3on8

3on8 Member

I am sorry about the gun. I am glad no one got hurt. I would like to see the out come on the gun. I would alos like to know what Browning says about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.