1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning / Beretta Unsingle Combo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flskeeter, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flskeeter

flskeeter TS Member

If you were going to buy an unsingle combo, which would you buy? The Browning or the Beretta 687?

2. JRD

JRD TS Member

I'd go with the SKB. LOL Just kidding did not mean to offend anyone or start an argument. I just found a combo for myself actually. I personally chose the SKB, but from what your looking at I'd go with the Beretta.

3. flskeeter

flskeeter TS Member

Bill, Why Browning?

4. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

Beretta, all the way...
    I have both Browning's and Beretta's and in my opinion the Beretta is a Lot stronger then a Browning...

Now get ready for the flamers for stating a personal opinion...

Bill

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Beretta 687 unsingle combo. In fact I just ordered one.

I prefer the way the Beretta hinges the barrels, pivoting on trunions. The Browning with the hinge pin underneath the bottom barrel requires such a deep reciever.

John C. Saubak

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

try both

many find the beretta just feels way to heavy with the unsingle on it--

feel is a personal issue

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I understand the ->old<- Beretta 682 unsingles were/are quite heavy, do you think that would still be an issue with the new adjustable rib guns? Particularily the new 687 unsingle combo's from Joel Etchen?

John C. Saubak

8. Westie

Westie Member

Sure hope you get an answer to your question Cowboy. Always been a Browning fan but I'm close to ordering a Beretta unsingle from Etchen's. It would make a difference if they were heavier than the Gun's unlimited Brownings.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have owned several Brownings and Beretta's over the years, and I still own one of each. I believe that in the price range that both of these guns fall in I would have to chose the Browning over the Beretta.

The main reason is the barrels. The INV+ .740 backbore barrels have to be the best of the two. I have a BPS Trap with a IM choke and crushes targets as far back as I want to stand with a standard 'caps load. Inturn, my 391 Tekny's won't break the target nearly as hard with the F choke installed. The only downside of the Browning is that porting is not an option.

I like both guns very well and won't get rid of either.

The triggers on both guns are descent and easy to make good.

Fit and finish are equal between the two. I do think that Browning uses a little nicer wood. You can't go wrong either way, but my preferance is tward the Browning. Just my opinion.

ec90t

10. Westie

Westie Member

Anybody know if the Beretta 687 unsingle is much heavier than the Browning XT unsingle? Since they are kind of new, how about the top single combos that have been out a while? Thanks.

11. flskeeter

flskeeter TS Member

At the Southern Grand I asked the Guns Unlimited salesman how much the Browning unsingle weighed and he looked at me like I'd just asked for his first born. He said stammering "whatever it says in the book". Must of meant the Browning catalog? Once I asked Roy at High Grade how much a gun weighed he had for sale and he said he had no idea and no way of weighing it. Some gun dealers don't understand how important gun weight is to a shooter. I guarantee when I call Joel Etchen tomorrow he will know what his Beretta unsingles weigh or will put one on the scale.

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If he don't, when I get mine next week I'll weight it and post the weight here.

John C. Saubak

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

'skeeter,

The stupidity of the salesman has nothing to do with what gun is better. You just happen to have preferance on the weight of a gun. I will say that a salesman not being able to answer a simple question like that, does leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I would have just borrowed the demo gun and found someone with shipping scales and weighed it. An educated guess would be that it weighs the same as an XT. Unsingle barrels usually weigh pretty close to that of a set of O/U's.

ec90t

14. flskeeter

flskeeter TS Member

Etchen says the 687 Unsingle Combo weighs 8 lbs. Could be an ounce or two either way depending on the wood.

Old Cowboy. That would be great if you could post the actual weight of your gun when you get it.

15. 100minus1

100minus1 TS Member

flskeeter,
    I just did a weigh-in for you on my 32/30 XT unsingle combo for you. With adjustable comb hardware my unsingle weighs about 8.2 pounds. With the 30" o/u barrels it weighs in at 9.0 pounds. However, everyone who has picked it up and/or shot a round with it states that it feels lighter than it looks. It definitely balances better than an XT top single and feels as if it swings faster than the top single due to it's lighter weight and balance. People have described it as "whippy" but I like a lighter/faster swinging gun. Recoil is a lot less than the top single due to the position/alignement of the barrel plus the porting helps as well. Guns Unlimited is the only place where you can buy the XT un-single combo and it comes with a nice browning combo hard case. I have not seen Beretta's version so I can not give you an opinion on it although the adage states "you get what you pay for!" Hope this helps a little and feel free to email with any questions. Ben

16. spritc

spritc Active Member

I understand Beretta is coming-out with an unsingle 682 Gold E. The top single kicked the crap out of me so I didn't keep it long. I hope the unsingle is more forgiving. I also hated the adjustable comb crappy plastic hardware. Other than that nice gun. You'd think a 500 year old company would know better than use plastic hardware. Now their DT10 is a real unsingle combo that doesn't have plastic any where. Of course they get $10 grand for them.

Steve

17. rumseyplum

rumseyplum TS Member

Just got a BrowningXT 34/30 unsingle combo a couple weeks ago. I am very happy with it. Saw a Beretta unsingle combo at my local trap club last week. My Browning has much nicer wood, better finish, I don't care for the dull finish on the Beretta. I got the grade I w/adjustable comb. Comes w/Browning case, total of 4 chokes, three different triggers, only thing I'm still not sure about is the Hi-viz front sight. Just takes some getting used to, I guess. I promised myself not to shoot it until the central Pa. weather breaks for good, but it feels real good when I mount the thing...about $500 less money as well..that's my story...
    Bob F.

18. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I never handled either one yet, but I definitely have my eye on the Beretta 682 or 687. After owning both a Citori and 682X Supertrap, I still prefer the Beretta.

Dale

19. Trap Dude

Trap Dude TS Member

why dont yall just man up and get a 3200 and make it into a un/single LOL just kidden around you know you realy cant go wrong with the Browning or the Beretta or the SKB. But what i think of when im buying a new un/single combo is how derable it is and how hard it is to find parts for it. That what i do when i buy a new trap gun.

20. jrmb

jrmb TS Member

or really man up and get a Winchester 101 Diamond Grade unsingle combo and be done with it, or are you all just a girly man ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

backbore beretta 391

beretta 682 trap combo unsingle

beretta unsingle

unsingle combos for sale