Trapshooters Forum banner

Browning Barrels

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  shotgun52 
#1 ·
So after hours of research I have come to the conclusion that you can not buy an extra barrel for your browning over under. After shooting a few of my fellow shooters sub gauge guns in sporting clays I have wanted one ever since. I shoot trap averaging a little over 23 now with my new citori cx. I am probably averaging about 22 in skeet as well and about 44 in sporting clays. I really shoot this gun well and wanted to also be able to shoot sub gauge with the same gun. I could get tubes from briley but then there would be an added 11 oz to the barrels unless I get the barrel shaved and bored so it only shoots the sub gauge tubes. I would really like to shoot both so I was wondering if I could get a barrel fitted to my stock and then get that tubes and still be able to shoot all four gauges? Do I need to buy a whole new gun just to get another barrel? Would any of this work?

#2 ·
Why not see if you can find an 11 ounce weight and in practice see how it effect's your shooting and scores?

It may look funky but a piece of steel wrapped in tape and clamped on to the barrels would show you how it feels swings and effects your score. If it works Briley can craft one to use when the tubes are out.

The league shooters that use tubed barrels usually seem to stay with 20 or 28 gauge for everything, you really do not need more the 1/2 or 3/4 ounces of the 28 or 20 gauge to run everything!

The Small gauge guys really shovel it on when one of them out shoots our top trap shooters, it happens more often than we care to think or talk about!

Reactions: Evan Marsh
#3 ·
Why not see if you can find an 11 ounce weight and in practice see how it effect's your shooting and scores?

It may look funky but a piece of steel wrapped in tape and clamped on to the barrels would show you how it feels swings and effects your score. If it works Briley can craft one to use when the tubes are out.

The league shooters that use tubed barrels usually seem to stay with 20 or 28 gauge for everything, you really do not need more the 1/2 or 3/4 ounces of the 28 or 20 gauge to run everything!

The Small gauge guys really shovel it on when one of them out shoots our top trap shooters, it happens more often than we care to think or talk about!
do you know of anything that would work? I saw that briley made some barrel weights but the reviews made them seem damaging to the gun

#4 ·
For Skeet, I shoot a 20g that also has Briley 28g and .410 tubes. I use a barrel weight when I shoot it as a 20g, and remove the weights when I add the tubes. Makes the gun feel similar with all gauges then.
My skeet skirt is at the cleaners though.

#5 · (Edited)
I shot a Beretta 682 with fitted tubes for years in skeet competition. Don't think that by just adding a weight that weighs the same as the tube set will allow you to shoot the gun the same without the tubes. The weight distribution is entirely different and the gun WILL handle differently. I quit using the clamp-on weighted 12 gauge barrel in the 12 gauge and doubles event and shot the 20 gauge tubes in these events because of difference in the way the gun handled (my 12 gauge average was LOWER than my 20 & 28 when shooting the weighted barrel). You can compete successfully doing this in skeet, but sporting clays is a different animal entirely. IMO, you are at a real disadvantage trying to compete in the "Main Event" at a serious sporting clay competition with a 20 gauge.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you want to shoot a 12 gauge AND the sub-gauges with the same gun and have the gun handling characteristics be the same, then a "carrier barrel" O/U set-up is the way to go. Make sure that your tube sets are machined for interchangeable chokes. Get ready to get off your wallet if you go this route.

#6 ·
For the test I would get use of a simple scale that weighs in ounces. Get piece of 3/4 or 1 inch steel round stock and cut a little at a time until you are at 11 to 12 ounces. then use electrical tape to give it coating so it will not mare your barrels, than using hose clamps threw the vents in the rib I would clamp it on as tight as you dare. small hardware stores that sell loose nails by the pound will have the scale and some selection of stock that may make weight with out cutting, I would go heavier by even as much as 4 ounces, so if you only find one piece of stock that weighs even right at a pound for the test it should work.

The real purpose is to see how the extra weight feels and effects your shooting. not a long term solution, so if you shoot a round of trap and one of skeet and everything is working, get a hold of a tube set and a weight that will allow the un-tubed barrels to balance like when the tubes are in the barrels.

yes it will look funky but again it is to gather information on whether you may or will even like the extra weight of the tubed barrels when shooting!

#8 ·
I shot a Beretta 682 with fitted tubes for years in skeet competition. Don't think that by just adding a weight that weighs the same as the tube set will allow you to shoot the gun the same without the tubes. The weight distribution is entirely different and the gun WILL handle differently. I quit using the clamp-on weighted 12 gauge barrel in the 12 gauge and doubles event and shot the 20 gauge tubes in these events because of difference in the way the gun handled (my 12 gauge average was LOWER than my 20 & 28 when shooting the weighted barrel). You can compete successfully doing this in skeet, but sporting clays is a different animal entirely. IMO, you are at a real disadvantage trying to compete in the "Main Event" at a serious sporting clay competition with a 20 gauge.

I don't know what you budget is, but if you want to shoot a 12 gauge AND the sub-gauges with the same gun and have the gun handling characteristics be the same, then a "carrier barrel" O/U set-up is the way to go. Make sure that your tube sets are machined for interchangeable chokes. Get ready to get off your wallet if you go this route.
My CG has weights that can be put at different places on the barrel. I place one weight near the receiver on one side and near the muzzle on the other. This spreads the weight and mimics the tubes. With my eyes closed, I can't tell the difference between the gun with tubes of the gun with weights. That is just my experience.
Barrel Balancer Weights - Caesar Guerini USA

#10 ·
Claypoppy said it all perfectly! I shot competitive skeet (in my previous life) for about 20 years and eventually used a 12 GA. Beretta 687 and 682 with a Briley Ultralight balanced tubes set. Used 20 GA tubes in the 12, 20 and doubles events. Read and follow Claypoppy's advice...it tells you all you need to know. Best Regards, Ed

#11 ·
I would try the rhino stingers as smithy47 was talking about they only add about 7oz,s to the barrel and most of the weight is in front
of your forward hand and they come with your choice of chokes. you would half to have a trigger conversion done for the sub gauge
tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.