1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Auto 5

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by redix, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redix

redix TS Member

Just inherited a 1948 vintage Belgian made 12 ga Browning Auto 5. Does anyone here have any experience with this shotgun? Ever tried shooting Trap with one?

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I shot my first trap with one back in the late '50s. You will have to adjust the friction rings for it to eject with target loads. Chokes tended to be a bit tighter than marked. It would make a better hunting gun. IMHO Ron

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Back in that era, you would see whole squads of skeet shooters shooting these guns with cutts compensators on them. Ron

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've shot a fair number of trap targets with my '54 "Light Twelve" in modified. If your unfamilar with the friction ring and spring setup for light/heavy loads, contact Browning for a free manual.

Jay

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

great guns, sound guns and a gun that is worth keeping. I have 3 of them.

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i have a lot of luck with the A5 for trap it tends to shoot low so that makes it good but does need a recoil pad in 12ga and it dont have to be cleaned rick

7. rwm12

rwm12 Member

I have one I shot in the late sixtys, mod. bbl. for 16's and 30" full for hdcp., both bbls. are Belgium. Later I got a 26" bbl. for skeet, JAPAN, if you should ever put a Japan bbl. on your gun be sure to dish out the forearm on the inside near the front of the forearm to allow the bbl. to function. If you don't do this it will bust the forearm after a few shots, I learned the hard way. I had bought the bbl. at the time direct from Browning but they forgot to tell me about the forearm modification, they replaced the forearm, no charge. Today they make a shell catcher that will stick on the receiver to catch the empty shell on singles. Bought the gun new in 1968.

8. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have a 1955 model that the original owner (I am the scond owner) put a Simmons rib on it to shoot trap.

9. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

First let me say the A-5 is a darn good gun I bought mine new in 1956. It is still my primary hunting shotgun. At the Grand last summer a guy was useing an A-5 in the squad ahead of mine. I commented to a squad mate,"You don't see many shooting an A-5 anymore." After watching awhile, he looked at me and said,"Shootin it pretty damn good too."...............Roger

10. redix

redix TS Member

Thanks for the info. Will try mine out this weekend.

11. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I have my grandfathers with the original bill of sale and manufacturer envelope with all of the paperwork from 1947....He paid $118.73 cents with tax....116.40 + $2.33 tax! I actually have run 25's with it....Great guns!

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Al L. won the AZ handicap championship last year using the ol humpback 5! Hap

13. Questor

Questor TS Member

My father had one and it was the first 12 gauge shotgun I ever shot. I hated it. The recoil was vicious. Some say the recoil is tunable or that it only recoils hard if something is broken. I didn't like the ergonomics either. If it were given to me, I'd find a nostalgia buff and sell it to him.

14. Acer

Acer TS Member

Anyone make a shell catcher for the A-5? Thanks, Johnny Whidden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning auto 5 forum

how to adjust the friction rings on a browning auto 5