1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Auto-5 Poly Choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Luckyman, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I just cleaned an Auto-5 for a friend of mine that was made in 1950 (According to the serial #'s) and it has written on the top of the ventilated rib in cursive writing "Poly-choke"? I know what a ploy-choke is (I have one on a JC Higgins Pump my dad gave me)...Anyone that has ever seen one knows they are unmistakable...For anyone that hasn't it's an adjustable choke at the end of the barrel that allows manual adjustment between choke sizes with a twist of a usually knurled end....

This gun has no such thing....Just a regular fixed barrel with poly-choke written on the top ventilated rib near the receiver ....BTW the barrel is not an aftermarket barrel and all of the numbers on the barrel match the receiver....This not an ajdustable choke of any type....What constriction would this be? Modified? Full? Improved? There is no way of telling....

2. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Could it be that just the rib from a gun that had Polychoke was swapped out on this?

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Poly Choke made ribs to .

4. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I think it is an add on Poly choke vent rib. Either glued or soldered to the original plain barrel.
    There is a recent post with two pictured that have not been installed on a gun.

Mash the link!

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Yup! That's exactly what this gun has...I knew something was up when the grooves on the top of the barrel did not match the receiver...

Thanks gentleman!

6. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Here are the choke designations that Browning used on their guns. They are on the left side of the barrel

* Full
    *- Improved Modified
    ** Modified
    **- Improved Cylinder
    **$ Skeet
    *** Cylinder Bore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
belgium browning a5 with polychoke for sale
browning a5 polychoke factory
browning auto 5 polychokes