1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning --- Annual Service ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

I see alot of comments about the "annual service" on shotguns. Especially the P and K guns, it seems.

I have two Brownings, a 425 and an XT. Do these require some type of annual service? If so, what should I expect? Where should I get it done?

Just got the XT on 2 days ago. First round with the XT was a 15, off to the pattern board. Gee it shoots high (higher than I thought). Back to the trap field and shot two straight 24's. Think I'll keep it and just want to make sure I'm taking good care of it.

Thanks
    Chuck

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

HI Chuck, I will be watching this one as well as you. From my limited knowledge with brownings I think that they can go well over 5 years without a Annual per say. I don't shoot in the pouring rain, and keep my gun in the A/C home when not shooting. Moisture in the receiver and the greese (will wear out)inside are the only things I know at this point to watch out for.I do clean my gun well after shooting and greese the wear points and clean after each use. I know that others will add their 2 cents to this thread and correct me if I'm wrong. I have been told by a local browning retailer to just keep shooting my gun until it breaks. I'll last for years without any touble. Lets see what some others have to say. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Chuck

Where are you located?

A lot of the problem with the Browning is crud on the lower firing pin and in the lower firing pin channel. I typically tell folks the first symptom that your Citori is ready for service is intermittent failures to fire on the bottom barrel. Some of this will depend on the ammo and primers you use.

If you have a little mechanical aptitude, these arms are rudimentary in design. Part of John Browning's genius was making a memorable firearm with a simple design.

After years of making weapons of war, he wanted to make a shotgun that was a pure pleasure to shoot. The Superposed was the result. He succeeded, admirably.

Todays's Citori is a faithful copy of that classic design. Val Browning simpified the trigger in the late 30's. It is still essentially with us, and is copied by about everyone who has inertial triggers in their O/U.

When I perform an annual, I thoroughly clean the metal parts of the arm with Brake Cleaner and compressed air. I seal and wax the stock and forend while off the metal, and replace firing pins, lower firing pin return spring, mainsprings, and top lever spring. Use the "B1334157" lower firing pin, and if you use hard primers, you might order the Wolff extra power mainspring set. This spring only need to be installed on the right (lower) hammer. Brownell's has the parts you need.

On a routine service, there are almost NEVER any other parts that need replacement. Then, a liberal application of Ballistol, blow off the excess with air, and reassemble. Hinge and receiver knuckle are lubed with CMD Gun Lube. Choke tube threads are coated as well, to prevent loosening. If your arm has an adjustable comb, it is best to service and lubricate it as well.

If you have a Hi Viz front bead, remove the pipe before you use Brake Cleaner! Re install it as the last step of re assembly.

If you do this yourself, cost, including cleaning supplies, are maybe $50 bucks. If I do it, it is $75. There is a very large SCTP at my club. I don't hose the kids or the parents.

There are a lot of them, especially the single parents, who work a second job just so their children may shoot. I have nothing but respect and admiration for these parents, and the Coaches who take time out of their busy schedule to work with the next generation of shooters and champions.

I have owned and worked on these fine arms for many years, and have a passing knowledge of them. If you need advice or help, let me know.

4. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Coach,,as I stated on the other thread,,I have had trouble with my "EX-XT COMBO" I wish I had have known of you 3-6 months ago. 1st problem was trigger would not set (cock) unless the gun was closed "briskly" I don't like to do it that way),,,I found a small "burr" on the trigger mech., that cured that problem. Then it started in "failure to fire" (sometimes). Changed the hammer springs, cleaned the firing pins and pockets, all to no avail. Three weeks ago it would not cock (lower barrel trigger would not set. A gunsmith at the shoot pulled the stock, and the lower hammer assembly came out in pieces, it had broken (old look break)though the pin hole and the pin was broken too. The gun-smith sent it back the Browning for a replacement of the Gun. Oh,,also in there someplace, it started not allowing me to assemble the un-single barrel until I had first maounted the O/U barrel and removed it,,then the single would go on just fine. As I stated,,I hope the new one is a better one. (It was 18 mo. old, appr. 25,000-30,000 rounds).

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I had mine re-built this year at the Grand. I carried it in to have the lower firing pin replaced and ended up having it re-built. Pins, springs, block everything. Coupled this with another gun and the total bill was about $500 for both. Most was for the XT but I don't know exactly how much. I can tell you for a fact it has had in excess of 80,000 rounds through it. It would ocassionally fail to fire the bottom barrel and had become easy to open but not come open when firing. The top lever was center and now is almost off the metal to the right. I am positive that it will go another 100,000.
    GREAT GUN!! I've owned three that are supposed to be better and keep coming back to this one, it works for me. People always wonder what classifications responders have. I shot this gun to the 27yd line, I've run 200 straight and I've scored very close to a 100 straight on doubles with this gun. I carried a AA-27-A class with it and made a handicap shootoff at the Grand one year with it. I would buy something different if I though I could do better with it.
    By the way Mr. Pilynski did the rebuild and I was most happy with his work.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Jim

Larry does great work. I wish he still came to Tennessee!

I know what you mean about the Browning. Years ago, I performed warranty service and repair for the Browning, thought a lot of them, and shot the Citori. Eventually, I went to the higher grade guns, and wound up with an obscenely priced high grade K-80 combo. Earlier this year, I shot a friend's new Unsingle combo, and that was it. The humble Browning felt better than the Krieghoff. Yes, the Krieghoff fit me. The fixed stock Browning felt better to me. I live alone, and I am the ONLY one in my family I have to please! After buying my own Browning Unsingle combo, I sold the K-gun. I do not miss it. The Browning simply outshoots it, and I have already shot my lifetime best off the 27 (98-97) with it.

Being an old Browning gunsmith, I can service the gun myself, and parts are very reasonable. The K-gun needed to go back to Ottsville for annuals. SHIPPING and insurance was about $150 to get the gun to the shop, plus the repair and return shipping. Being a Gunsmith and having to send my gun out for repair damaged my fragile ego!

For return shipping on the Krieghoff (around $40), I can do a "DELUXE" annual with replacing most springs and both firing pins on the Browning. In about three hours, in front of the television, with the shop and air compressor outside in the shed, I can totally obssess on servicing this firearm. No shipping.

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I had mine "tuned-up" so to speak, at the CA State Shoot. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it (that I knew of), however, it was a good thing I took it in as my firing pin had a lovely chip in it. All the springs were replaced, new firing pins, total deep cleaning $190. Worth every cent for piece of mind. I've had my XT since March '07 and have used all different kinds of loads. James Flynn in CA did my work - he's worked on my other Browning as well. Highly recommend him.

8. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Had James look at mine at the CA state shoot,,he could not find any thing wrong with it,,,it broke later, big time. Could not fix my B2000, but a smith in OR, got it right the first time.

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've owned my Citori Plus for about 15 years now. I have had problems about three times now with the lower pin and spring and twice with the top lever spring. I just had the same thing happen with the bottom barrel pin and spring as well as the top lever spring. when it goes the gun breaks open on its own after the shot. I had all the pins and springs replaced this week. Gunsmith and friend charged me $36.00 total. Good friend I'd say.

10. Dave P

I forgot to ask if anyone has had their top lever and related mechanism(s) redone or replaced by Browning or anyone else. What was the cost and turn around time?

11. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Yes,,James Flynn did my Citroi, two years ago,, very good job, have had NO problems, cost about $200.00 He also serviced and cleaned and new springs, ect.
    Happy with work.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, I just had my BT-100's top lever spring replaced by Pylinski Arms this past Feb. at my clubs big shoot. He charged me $30 for the job and did it over night. I did not even give him the gun until the miss and Out was over at about 8:00pm that night and needed it the next morning for the handicap shoot. Thank You Pylinski for your fine work and always doing your best to make shooters happy where ever your at. PS I think that is all the work this gun has ever seen, in 10 plus years. break-em all. Jeff

13. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

My smith recommend that the annual service be done about every 5-7 years on a Browning if it is not dropped in water or every 150,000- 180,000 rounds. Shots that is, not 25 bird rounds. I clean and lube regularly.

Mike

14. Dave P

Thanks Gents.

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Dave P. Every year I take my XT to the Grand and have the Browning factory reps do their service on it; I shoot about 4 - 5,000 shots (shots not 25 target rounds) a year through the XT. Browning said that as a matter of routine, they replace the firing pins and springs as well as the top lever spring in addition to a thorough inspection and cleaning inside and out. Well worth the $30 they charge - dropped it off at noon - picked it up at 2:30 p.m.
    A guy at the club today said I was an idiot with too much money ($30 is a lot of money? - dinner for two at Applebee's is over $30) - his advice: Brownings will shoot a long time before they break down; wait for this to happen, then spend the money. Brilliant! Right in the middle of a shoot I am going to disrupt a squad - and my concentration - with a breakdown - then cough up more than $30 to get it fixed. Thanks, but I will keep it in good working order. Best Regards, Ed
    PS the XT is the best gun value out there.

16. Dave P

Is the top lever spring unrelated to the top lever's position? I ask that because I had the spring replaced and the lever is still left of center. I would suspect that the piece(s) that lock the gun up may be worn. Anyone have any further information about this? Would anyone send their gun to Browning for repair?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.