1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning adjustable comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I hear alot of people talk bad about the factory Browning adjustable comb, but I never heard why people don't like them. Everyone just says they are sh!tty. Are they weak and break easily? Or is the problem the way they adjust. I have never used one but I have been thinking about getting a gun with one. Please give me your thoughts - Huntinandhotrods

2. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I use spacers to achieve the height I want. Works for me.

Charlie

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

they are difficult to get to hold their settings...even when the tightening screw through the buttplate is tightened as tight as reasonble...they loosen from shooting...spacers only hold your comb height...the problem is the comb sliding left or right out of your desired position

4. neofight

neofight TS Member

I bought my browning XT trap last year, my first shotgun and ordered it with the factory adj. comb, not realizing that there were better after market combs(lessons in being a newbie). The problem is not with the comb itself since it is just a stick of wood, but with the hardware. I found this out first-hand this weekend at a shoot where i shot worse than the first day i ever shot a target.

The comb had slipped to the right about 1/4-3/8ths" resulting in my being off target some distance. With my impaired close-up vision, i can't see the center bead anyway, so was not able to see that i was not lining up right when i got my cheek down to it's usual spot on the comb.

If i had it to do again, Tron would be the man to go to from what i hear from everyone and not much difference in price from factory comb. Best of all, it's not supposed to slip.

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Huntinandhotrods,

I can speak from personal experience about this. I purchased a new XT with factory adjustable comb about 5 years ago. It had pretty wood, looked good and seemed to come up good in the gun store. Took it home went to the range, had a rude awakening. I simply could not shoot this gun with any consistency.

The buttstock was a little on the long side for me, so in order to cut about 3/8" off of the buttstock, I had to have the long threaded rod (that goes through the hardware) milled down at the back of the comb hardware to the size of the threaded portion of the rod, so it could go forward another 3/8" and maintain consistent length through the back of the pad. I had to buy a special size die to add threading to the rod, and then either cut off the added length of the threaded road at the front or drill a hole forward in the buttstock to allow for the excess length rod to go. I chose drilling the hole in the buttstock. (I still have the die to cut threads available, used one time and will sell for $5.00 and ship for free if anyone needs one. Its a metric of course) After that, the comb could not be maintain in its position due to the fact that sufficiently sized cuts in the two female portions of the comb hardware were not present from the factory that allowed the threaded rod to compress them sufficiently to maintain a constant position of the comb height. Larger relief cuts had to be made.

After all that was done thinking that the stock finally fit, I experienced some of the worst recoil from an over under that I ever have. Granted I was shooting 3 dram gun clubs and they thump a bit. However, even an 11 ounce C&H mercury recoil reducer could not take the recoil out of the gun.

I have shot XT's and Citori Traps with Monte Carlo stocks and have not felt recoil like that of the factory adjustable comb models. Plus for me the monte carlo stock models seem to fit better and put my head in a more comfortable position. Plus they do not feel as point heavy. Some like heavy pointing guns, but I don't.

I sincerely recommend that you try both with different loads and on different days to see which one shoots and feels the best. While I like Brownings, I found the factory adjustable comb model a total disappointment, and lost my behind selling mine. However, when you are frustrated you are more prone to do stupid and economically unsounds things.

Hope this sheds some light from my perspective. My vote is to consider the monte carlo model. If you need adjustment on the comb spend the money on after-market comb hardware. I think you will be pleased. The only thing I don't like about the Browning XT (monte carlo) over the 682 Gold E is the barrel porting, but thats just me. However, for the price difference, I can live with the added noise and dirty exterior barrels.

Good luck, John E.

6. CalvinMD

Just take the $200+ you save getting the non-adjustable stock ..then let a pro do it in the aftermarket...there are lots of great wood guys right here regularly on TS Tron, Ruck just to name a couple

7. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Browning stocks tend to run LONG. Also as mentioned the hardware used in the adj comb will not securely keep a setting.

8. CalvinMD

Sadly...they changed to this new style when had a perfectly good and functional factory unit.....Kill the beancounters

9. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

That long screw runs from the butt stock, through two clamps that tighten around the posts on the comb, you cannot get enough leverage to tighten everything up to where the comb does not move to the side.

I fought it for a year and ended up having after market hardware installed at one of the big matches. I have never looked back. The aftermarket is so much better and has not come loose since installed.

The stock Browning hardware will let you down, sooner or later.

I had Tron put an adjustable comb on one of my XT's that did not have one. He does a very professional job, looks like factory, is very quick on the turnaround, and is priced right. I included a link to his website. I will never pay extra for an adjustable comb after seeing his work.

Bob, (a very satisified customer of Tron's)

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This problem isn't just a Browning thing. Beretta changed to what they refer to as a "memory system" and it sucks just as bad as what Browning offers. If the gun uses other than standard style of adjustable comb, you'd be better off buying without and having one of our reputable stock guys (Tron and Ken Rucker)do an install for you.

ss

11. neofight

neofight TS Member

I just finished taking mine apart and it's easy to see why they fail. They rely upon pressure being brought to bear through a clamping action against these little "sleds" that slide back and forth in a track that is screwed into the stock. There is a single ball that falls into one of many detents and is supposed to lock in place through tension provided by the long screw.

Since i have nothing to lose and all to gain, i am thinking about setting the "sleds" in place with 10 ton epoxy or MarineTex(an epoxy). I will still have the vertical adjustment if needed, but the lateral setting will then be fixed solid. It's either this or sell the boat and buy one of those P or K guns : ) Hmmmmmmmm, i wonder if Tron or others could do a retro fit of some decent hardware. In the meantime, torque is my friend.

12. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

The XT that I have has an adjustable comb put on by Gracoil but I had Todd Nelson (the "Country Gentleman" --stockfitter) remove the Gracoil recoil unit that was on it and shorten my stock and install one of his Nelson pad- adjusters on the stock and the adjustable comb that he does uses much better(more heavy duty) hardware than the Gracoil unit..and where Gracoil cut the stock they left it unfinished, he sanded it down and radiused the stock so that it fit my face perfectly due to the extreme cast off I needed on the comb,and then refinished it where it looked like factory work (or better). I was very impressed with Todd's work..he is in NW Alabama but travels to most of the big Trap and Skeet shoots...I can recommend him and his work without reservation ...

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gracoil makes replacement hadware for both Browning and Beretta factory combs. I just installed one today for a customer. Quite simple.

Ed Yanchok

14. RRA

RRA TS Member

I have had three XT's. The first one had a monte carlo stock. It shot too high for me and I got a good deal on an adjustable comb XT, so I sold the monte carlo. I had a gunsmith replace the Browning hardware and it was a great improvement. I then bought a XT combo with an adjustable comb and had the hardware changed out before I ever shot it.

In summary: Change out the Browning hardware or get a monte carlo and make it adjustable.

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I have about 30K rounds through my factory adjustable comb XT, and have experienced zero slippage problems. I do use shims under the comb, not because the comb has ever slipped down, but because the shims give me confidence that the comb will not slip down.

I have not had any problem with side movement.

Others, obviously, have had different experiences.

bluedsteel

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A chicken s**t execution of a beautiful piece of engineering.

17. Quack_kills

Quack_kills TS Member

The easiest and most economical solution, is to buy a Kolar...

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Personally, I think that Browning had a very good idea and it's a great design, works for both left and right handed shooters....just way too weak. If they just made it beefier, it would have been great. The Beretta's comb hardware is made of plastic and is even worse!

19. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

I put washers in mine for the height. and made some small wooden blocks to fit in the track to keep it from moving sideways. I also took a Dremal tool with an abrasive disk and enlarged the groves in the clamping system. They seemed to have bottomed out before. I doesn't move now. Most gunsmiths are just cutting the adjustment rod off and cutting a slot for a screwdriver instead of the factory allen wrench if they have to shorten the stock. I drilled mine and tapped it for a allen head cap screw and loctited it in. Hope this helps. George

20. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

The comb on my XT Trap had a tendency to move while shooting but a couple small pieces of popsicle stick and some Crazy glue fixed that problem with no reoccurances. Woody Sullivan
    P.S. You just need to be smarter than what you are working with ;<)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bps adjustable comb stock
bps adjustable stock

browning adjustable comb

browning adjustable comb stock

browning adjustable stock
browningadjustable comb
how to adjust a browning xt adjustable comb buttstock
xt adj comb hardware