1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Adjustable Comb, Anyone Like Theirs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rem870TB, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

These have lots of people complaining about them on forums; does anyone out there have one and like it?

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

sorry no endorsement here..since they have changed to the current style and I owned a few..any new Brownings I buy are fixed Monte Carlo and cut by a pro after the sale

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

CalvinMD

What were the problem(s) you experianced?

4. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I do not have a clue about this topic. I have a Browning Citori O/U with a factory adjustable comb. I use the gun for doubles, my average is 91 and so I ask - what is your problem. Set the gun up so you can smash targets and then stop fooling with the adjustments.

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"what is your problem. Set the gun up so you can smash targets and then stop fooling with the adjustments."

IMHO, an adjustable comb is an accessory used to get the gun fit/obtain the POI desired and then left alone; not adjusted any time a shooter has a "bad day" etc.

My question related more to, once it is set, properly, locked down as per the instructions and left alone, does it stay put where it was set or move after a lot of shooting?

6. John A. Davis

John A. Davis TS Member

Nope, buy a Monte Carlo and send it to Graco. They do the best job I've seen and they are reasonable and will turn it around in 2 weeks.

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

My comb does not loosen left to right. That is a pretty beefy screw and I can really tighten it up without fear of damage. The comb height part is different as the size of the screws is downsized. But I control that height with spacers. Yes, I can feel when it is loosening, but the spacers prevent any change to the POI so it really doesn't matter.

8. CalvinMD

mine always kept slipping up/down ..left and right..one on a XS Skeet had to have the mechanism replaced right out of the box as it would not grip both posts uniformly ..the back post being barely gripped at all..the replacement was better but never 100% reliable without lock-tite

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The adjustable comb issue was the reason I got rid of my xt. To say the least. The factory comb is junk. After you put a few rounds through it it will start to wobble no matter how tight you grunt on it. It just isn't a very stable set up. My skb has the graco system on it witch the browning system does not compare. If a person could convert there browning over to a graco they would have a much better system.

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

UH, that "big, beefy screw" you mentioned is turned down from the large end you see to a tiny 3mm dia. threaded end...they break VERY EASILY!! The combs are hard to adjust and pretty much never stay where you put them for long. The hardware is just plain junk. I have a drawer full of it that I have replaced with my own. Also, it has to be replaced to allow us the room to install recoil devices like the RAD or Gracoil. I fill the pockets in the stock with solid walnut and install my own hardware. The cut surfaces also get sanded glass smooth and nicely finished in the process, something else Browning failed to do!!

Ken Rucker....Speedbump Stockworks

11. BMC

BMC Member

The one on my BT100 hasn't moved since it's last adjustment. Guess I'm lucky.

12. Sir-Fishalot

Sir-Fishalot TS Member

Buy the factory adj. comb you will have no regrets what so ever. The reason these other guys had problems with it "loosening up" is because they didn't tighten the screw down tight enough, you have to horse down good so it’s tight. Both me and my buddy hav’em and wouldn’t go any other way.

13. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The Golden Clays uses the same hardware, but Browning cuts the comb shorter and moves the hardware forward to give enough room to get the Gracoil in. Nice cast, Fishalot.....is that a topwater or a spinnerbait?

Ken Rucker

14. CalvinMD

I had mine tight enough that the gap in the pinch collars that the pins go in was totally gone...how much tighter should it have been there Mr Mis-A-Lot...its Junk in my mind and thats the only opinion that counts when my moneys involved

15. stockguy

stockguy Member

Like most of you have said, the Browning factory "adjust through the pad" hardware is junk and will eventually not hold it's position. We can all miss targets easily enough without our equipment helping us along. I've seen some start sliding loose only 2 weeks after purchase. If anyone is still using the hardware with no problems after a couple of years, they are lucky indeed. Brownign won't admit they have a problem, so "good luck" with warranty replacement----.

Browning makes as good a gun for the price as you can find, but you'd be better off getting one without the adjustable comb and having your favorite stocksmith install one that will last a lifetime. The factory comb is a $200 option and most stocksmiths install a better one for less.

There is no reason to sell an otherwise good gun just because of the comb hardware. I have replaced many factory systems with either my system or a drop-in replacement aluminum system for even more savings. Check out my website under "Browning and Beretta Comb Conversions" if you'd like to view pictures or obtain more info.

Greg Hissem

16. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Pay $3500 for a Browning or $4500 for a Beretta and get a comb that is substandard!!! I`ll stick with my tape and sticky back foam. Or my PFS with tape!! Ruck is so right; buy a Monte and send it to him or Hissem. THEN youv`e got a helluva gun!! How long long have these companies been making shotguns!!

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Made in Japan!!

18. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Here's the custom adjustable comb I use on my XT. Can't beat the price!

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

No cp, I don't own a Perazzi!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustable comb opinion
beretta browning comb height
brown adjustable comb diagram

browning adjustable comb

browning adjustable comb review
browning comb