1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning A5 skeet?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Hi all, new to this forum. My dad just left me my grand dad's Browning A5 Light 12 with a Cutts Compensator on a 26 inch barrel. I shoot a Browning 525 for Sporting and some trap and skeet, but would enjoy trying this old gun out a bit. I have not run into the Cutts on any modern gun. My understanding is that it is an original attempt at porting and these A5's were actually popular 50 years back. Any general history or thoughts on using this for skeet would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

Use good ear protection! Cutts would ring your chime.
    Between the concussion and the beating of the A5, I think one round of skeet would do me.
    Cutts were also a way to have different chokes, before choke tubes. They served two fuctions, porting, and a way to change chokes.
    A5's were nice old guns, but not my cup of tea.
    Congrats on having Grandpa's old gun, enjoy....

3. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Thanks for the response. A couple of questions for folks in the know. I thought auto's had generally less recoil than a break open gun? Is this because it is not a gas gun? Second, is the Cutts noise comparable to the porting on barrels today? Point and advise taken, though. I will definately make sure the earmuffs have a good fit!

4. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

enjoy it, my uncle gave me one a long time ago with a spreader choke on the cutts...it is great for skeet, and yes it seems loud, but not that much..it makes ink balls if you do your part..Grubby

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Go ahead and enjoy shooting that A-5, that's what it is for. The cutts comp was the thing to have back in the day. They are butt ugly but they do help in controlling the gun. Don't worry, they aren't that loud and the A-5 doesn't kick so much that you can't enjoy a few rounds of skeet.

I'm sure your grandad would want you to enjoy this classic gun and in the process of shooting it you will be experiencing the game the way he did.

6. DocJim

DocJim Member

Shot a lot of skeet with one about 30-40 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. In my opinion the recoil is substantially less than a break gun but less, of course, than a gas operated auto. Totally reliable and would eat any reload I put in it. Doubled as my duck gun with a 30" full choke. I personally don't think the Cutts is any louder than a ported gun. Enjoy it................AJ

7. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

Jerseyshooter, I purchased a A5 in 1956, had Simmons install a cutts, as they and polychoke were about the only thing available, my barrel measured 27' with the improved cylinder or spreader installed, you won't find a sweeter swinging skeet gun, as far as recoil, i don't know of any softer, and they are no louder than ported barrels. the only drawback i have found with a A5 is they will not cycle light loads, about 1145 and 1oz is as light as you can go. Keep the friction ring slide lightly lubed with oil, and the friction ring with the concave turned toward the reciever and the ring installed next to he reciever and you will have no trouble, Enjoy one of the finest and classic firearms by the master of gunmaking, John Browning, good shooting.

8. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

thanks all, I really appreciate the information. I really like my 525 but it is kind of cool to be able to continue a tradition.....neat feeling to shoot a gun that you know has been in the family. I actually shot it once when I was twelve...felt very proud but a bit overwhelmed! thanks again.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you need to pattern the gun. I have 4 A5s and they tend to shoot high.Dont know what a sight pic is with a potato on the end

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
belgium browning a5 skeet
browning a 5 skeet choke

browning a5 for skeet

browning a5 for trap shooting

browning a5 skeet
browning a5 trap and skeet
browning auto 5 for skeet

skeet barrel for browning a5