1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning A-5 20 made in 1928 (what's it worth?)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by One Eyed Left Handed, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Browning A-5 20 made in 1928 (what

This is an oldie but goodie that my deceased father and I traded back and forth for 35 years. Gun is standard weight 20 and I'm gonna put my wife in the dove field with it this year after curing in the safe for the last fifteen years.

From Browning records, with serial number 63,897 it looks to have been made early in 1928. It's had an Old English pad added prior to us owning it going back 50 plus years but stock is original length. Nicely figured close grain walnut, clean as a pin inside and out. No rust but a little bluing gone on the tang. Gold plated trigger looks like new. 26" vent rib, fixed improved cylinder choke, middle bead and front original ivory bead intact. Bluing is 97% plus and wood is about the same with a couple minor dings. None of the screws have marks. Trigger breaks at a crisp four pounds.

I'll always own it but just wondered what it might be worth? Eddie Quire

2. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

C'mon guys! Lots of hits but no posts. You won't hurt my feelings, I just need some experienced opinions.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You and your dad traded it back and forth for 35 years.

That makes it priceless in my book.

-Gary

4. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Pix would help, but the "priceless" valuation is a valid estimation.

Books don't buy guns, and a "What's it worth" can only be answerd by selling it.

It probably has the "push-pull" inside the trigger guard safety, which is "undesirable". (Mine has one)

A good new autoloader, with factory support and warranty is how much? That's the max that it would be worth as a "shooter".

The sentimental value is more than the retail.

If you wnat to sell it cheap, let me know! ;-)

Enjoy the momories.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Only rare guns or limited runs fetch top dollar.

I have two Belgium A5's they have about a $500 value a piece. I've seen them in Stores for up to $1000, Still sitting in the stores.

Mine were purchased with my dad when I was a teenager, I passed them off to my kids. That's the real value of them.

In today's world, the biggest complaint is, they are too heavy to pack all day.

Work horse's usually are!!

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The 20ga A-5 was introduced in 1958. The lightwieght models will have a year number followed by Z ,1958 to 1974. The magnum 20 will have the year followed by X , 1967 to 1974. Courtesy of the Browning Collectors Association. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1928 browning a5