1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning 99 opening real hard

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

A freind of mine's BT 99 is very difficult to open. Do any of you have any ideas.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brownings seem to all have a problem with galling of the metal between the forearm and the receiver. Gotta keep it lubricated.

Ed Yanchok

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sorry Ed, but grease alone is not the answer. I have four Brownings and all have done it even with plenty of grease. The last was my BT-100 which didn't gall up so bad. I'm thinking now since it has loosened up is to have the receiver damascened (sp?).

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If the receiver has not galled, you have a chance. Have somone relieve the fit by removing som metal on the barrel tang, the side toward the gun.

This is discussed here almost every week. Use the search function for "Galling"
    or "tang" in th body of the post.

HM

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Need to clarify...is it just tight breaking open or hard pushing the lever over...once fixed a friends whose lever was extremely hard to push right..found a sheared piece of a lead pellet jammed next to locking bolt track...how new is this gun??

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

New BTs are generally tight. If it is not a stuck pellet of lead shot .... then lube hinge pin surfaces with gunslick and keep working it.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have three well used Brownings, no galling on mine. I also have a nice BT100 that halfmile or one of his buddies worked on. It needs to be tightened. Don't file on the "barrel tang".

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Johnny: What's wrong with filing on the tang? I've done this a couple times very slowly using a rat-tail needele file and I've had no problems.

-Gary

9. halfmile

The underlug is the locking part of the mechanism. Barrel tang a non issue with mechanics, it just holds the forend on.

The hard opening is caused by the forend iron being pushed into the receiver by the barrel tang.

Look at it. think about what I said. If you are manually illiterate take it to a smith.

HM

10. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Charger, If it opens easily WHITH OUT THE Fore arm on, then it needs a couple of strokes with a fine file on the back of the barrel lug. Hope this helps. George

11. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Filing the barrell tang is absolutely the answer on many Brownings, especially new ones....

Some are waaay too tight, on those if you wait too long and it will quickly gall regardless of how much grease it has on it.

Unfortunately I learned that the hard way...never again. Two of my last three new Brownings needed to be filed a little.

Happy trails...Stan

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Get a tube of CMD Grease.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Dr. Longshot, where would one find CMD grease. Thanks, Mike....

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Mike, ShootingCoach here on TS.com use to sell it, maybe send him a PM? Best stuff I've ever used.

Wayne

15. halfmile

Lubing a gun that's fit too tight from the factory requires eternal vigilance.

Fitting it properly only needs to be done once.

Do whatever fits your personality.

HM

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

To say; "Fitting it properly only needs to be done once." is not true. They will continue to get looser regardless, then metal needs to be added to the end of the forearm iron to tighten it back up. That is, unless the monkey has a hammer and a punch. Then he will peen the action tight again.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Wow I did not know that you all have gunsmithing degrees, LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.