1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning 725 vs. Berretta 686 ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Folks, seeking opinions and reviews:

I will soon be taking the step to make a trade for a new trap gun. This morning after our weekly practice shoot, some of the scholars I shoot with and I went to lunch and I told them I had narrowed my choice down to one of the new Browning 725 Traps or a Beretta 686 Onyx.

Opinions were varied on which would be the best...for me! I am already shooting a Browning XT and like it very much. (I also have a 1992 Citori III that I think the world of.)

So....what do you folks think? Since the prices are close enough that money will really not be a consideration...which should I shoot for?

I appreciate you all! Martinpicker

2. Jhise67

Jhise67 Member

It sounds like the choice is obvious with your experience with Browning. I don't think you can go wrong with either as both are fine guns. I would shoot both if available and then decide. Either way goodluck, Browning, Browning, Browning!!!!!!!

3. len loma

len loma TS Member

I was he bouncing back and forth whether to go Browning or Beretta. I asked a gun smith which one? "Both are good guns but one company has been in business for over 500 years and it shows. I love how the 686 points and swings. If you can shoot both see which on fits you best. Len

4. Fish Springs

Fish Springs Member

725 because it fits me.

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

We cannot tell YOU what gun to use. Shootem' that is the only way. I have shot my XT for 12 years and have over 130,000 registered targets with it. I worked for Beretta for a short while and greatly respect their guns. I had a 686 combo and a DT 10 combo. Beautiful guns, beautifully made. I did not shoot them as well as the XT. Scores came down about three targets per hundred over the year. Back to the XT, back up on scores.
    I am a big guy. My first discipline was as a rifle shooter and I have a tendency to stop my gun and aim. The Browning is heaver on the front and harder to stop in the swing FOR ME.
    All this to say---you have to see what works for you and in my humble opinion, you cannot go wrong with either gun as far as the gun goes. How you shoot it is a whole different deal, and VERY personal.

One final thing. If you have shot the XT and field Citori and are now thinking about a 725, proceed with caution. The 725 has a whole different feel than the XT! I have a kid on my college team that bought one and it is markedly different in feel to my XT---AND I LOVE IT!! It fits me better than any gun out of the box I have ever sholdered. Shoot one of those too!

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I shot a 725 sporting model as a demo a few weeks ago at the grand. I normally despise the flat rib sporting models but I smoked all but one traget with it. I am shooting more skeet and SC, and much less trap. I think this winter my XT will be replaced with the 725 high rib sporting that has yet to hit the market.

KevinNE thanked this.
  7. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Berettas shoot flatter to me but my averages between a browning citori skeet 4bbl set & a 682 skeet tube set gun where identical thru 500 rds. I prefer the high post Brownings I guess cause that's what feels best to me.. I have no clue how many thousands of rounds I've put threw the Brownings & I've never had a problem... From 94 til 01 I'd shoot 8-12 rounds practice twice a wk then league shoots Monday & Tuesday nites, trophy shoots on weekends along with registered shoots too.. Browning been good to me

8. Martinpicker

Thanks guys. I realize that I couldn't ask you to tell me which gun I would shoot better, I was really asking your opinion as to quality and durability. What I am hearing is that you think, as I suspected, that a person could not go wrong with either gun.

Like a couple of you, Browning has been good to me, but I have never owned a Berretta. I am going to Cabela's to look and swing both of them today.

Thanks again. Martinpicker

9. Martinpicker

Major disappoinment! Just got back from Cabela's....My local store did not have a single Berretta 686 Trap left in stock!! They did have a couple of Browning 725 Traps, at almost $500 more than the dealers were asking at the Grand American!

The 725 still feels great. but they have a rib which is considerably higher than the XT. Can't tell if I can hit with one. Will have to try again at the Missouri Fall Handicap. Martinpicker

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

Look at the 687 trap model that Joel Etchen puts together. A little more money than the 725 - but JE has done a lot of upgrading on them.

John

11. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I second what Skeezix has posted. I bought one of the Joel Etchen combo 687 silver Pigeon III and really like the feel and how it swings for me. It replaced my Browning XT which feels heavy and cumbersome to me compared to the Beretta.

John

12. Slugo

Slugo Member

I have both. A 686 Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting and a Browning 725 Sporting, both with 32" barrels. The Browning is the better gun, in many ways. Better balance, better triggers, better fit and finish, etc. But then it should, it's a more expensive gun. You pretty much get what you pay for...

DSC_0005.JPG

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I love mechanical triggers...so should my Superposed ST-100 ever give up the ghost, a 725 would be a gun I'd try out.

Ron Burr

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Typacilly Cabella's are not known for their pricing, shop the Missouri Fall Handicap, Guns Un limited may be at Missouri Fall Handicap. Or contact Indiana Gun Club and talk to Chris or John Harden

GB
    DLS

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Indiana Gun Club $2795 new lots of them Browning 725 no new Berettas

Jaquas lots of them Browning 725 but no prices must call for a price.
    not posting prices on new guns

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Slugo

Slugo Member

you'll never regret buying the B725 Sporting. Ya' gotta' shoot it to appreciate it...

DSC_0012-001.JPG

17. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but does Beretta make a trap model in the 686 Onyx? I have thought this was either a sporting or field gun and not conducive to trap shooting, ie flat shooting. It was my belief if you were to purchase a Beretta Trap gun it was either a 682 series or the 687, no?

Some of the photos depict sporting guns, but the OP is asking about Trap.

Food for thought, the new Browning 725 trap only comes in a top single barrel while the Beretta has both the unsingle and top single.

Bryan

18. Slugo

Slugo Member

although I own a B725 Sporting, I have shot the B725 Trap model. It is an exceptional gun. Balance, weight, sight picture, etc.

19. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

When is Browning going to dump porting? I'd buy an new 725 tomorrow if it didn't have those damn ports.

20. Slugo

Slugo Member

I've been thinking the same thing. I've owned a ton of Brownings, ported and non-ported. Only time the noise bothers me or other people is when we are shooting with a roof overhead, like a weather protected 5 stand or wobble trap. Otherwise, not an issue. But, I wish Browning would cut it out...

Search tags for this page
beretta 686 vs browning 725

beretta 692 vs browning 725

beretta silver pigeon vs browning citori

beretta vs browning over under

browning 725 vs beretta 686

browning citori vs beretta silver pigeon
browning vs beretta
silver pigeon vs citori 725