1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning 525 for Doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I have a Browning 525 with 30" barrels that I use for Sporting Clays. I shoot singles & caps with a BT-99 but have not yet tried doubles. Would my 525 be a good doubles gun?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Probably about the same as my 525 in doubles. Works fine for me. Although I am not the best doubles shooter out there. I use my BT-l00 for singles and handicaps. I have shot a XT Trap for doubles as well. They seem to shoot about the same for me. So, I say bring it to the range and give it a whirl!!! Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was looking for feedback from someone who has used one for doubles.
    I was all set to buy an XT but the more I looked at them the more they looked like my 525.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I shoot a 32" XT and my Ultra Sporter 30" seems light and whippy to me by comparison. I prefer my XT even for sporting clays. Try it. If the difference in weight and handling charactaristics doesn't bother you, you just saved a bunch.

5. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Hello Hunter 44.

I shoot a Browning XT 34/32 combo gun. I use that gun for singles and Handicap but find it barrel and front end heavy for doubles.

I use the browning 525 for doubles and it works fantastic. Not real heavy in the front end fairly flat shooter and highly manageable. I have tried to change over to the XT several times, but the gun shoots higher than I am accustomed to shooting and once the swing is begun it is hard to slow the gun down if you over correct on the second target. I like the small forearm on the 525. The gun does tend to get very hot if you are shooting in a short squad of 3 or less you do get some heat waves off the barrel and can get a nasty burn.

For the money and the results, I will probably always use my 525. I am not the best doubles shooter but sport a class A 92 average. Average with the XT is under 81.

Hope this helps
    Mark Stevens
    Buffalo, MN.
    ATA/NRA coach

6. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have one and used it a lot for doubles it worked great. I shot a few high 80's with it.

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have two 12 gauge ones (grade I's)I use for doubles and sporting clays. One has 30" barrels the other 32" barrels. I like them both very well. I don't get the chance to shoot a lot of doubles but hold my own with the rest of the guys around here when we shoot doubles.

I have been thinking about trying the 32" barrel one for singles, just for the heck of it.

I also have a 20 gauge 525 sporting with 32" barrels, that little gun is totally wicked :) I need to try it on doubles once for kicks.

I currently use a bt-99 for singles, that I get along with well.

For me the 525 is the best fitting gun I own and shoots where I look.

I owned an xt for a little while and did not like it. For me the xt has about as much graces as swinging a railroad tie.... no thanks. I know other folks like them a lot and that is just fine.

8. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I use a 30" B425 for doubles, but I did end up putting a Wenig trap stock on it to get the point if impact high enough to suit me

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I did shoot a 32 XT for doubles. Now I shoot a Gaesar Guerini for doubles because it lighter. I also like the CG better.
    I do have friend that shoots a 525 for doubles. He will only shoot the 525 because it light and quick for him.
    So if it works use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.