1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning 500R

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TN Man, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TN Man

TN Man TS Member

Looking to buy a Browning 500R. Don't see many and Browning did not make for very long. Any opinions about this gun?

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Great Sporting gun,you may be disappointed if your going to shoot trap with it,shot very flat for me.Jerry

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought my Browning A500 brand new in 1988 and it has worked flawlessly in the field and duck blinds ever since. Mine later became known as the A500R after Browning made a gas operated model A500G. The recoil operated gun does kick more than my Winchester Model 50 but most guns do. My gun has a POI about 6" high at 35 yards and I have shot much better with it in the field compared to the flat shooting 870 I owned before. These semi humpback guns were never popular and were replaced by the nicer looking Browning Gold.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

the recoil ones had a lot of problems mechanically

the gas ones are good guns and had some innovations that still are amazing- great pointing guns

Again- avoid the recoil ones unless you have a lot of money to spend on repairs- An A5 is hands down the better recoil gun

The gas gun is one of the best pointing 12 gauges ever made as well

I think all the problems with the recoil operated ones did the gas one in by association

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

They shoot good enough for hunting, but keep in mind it's only a shorter-recoil version of the A5, and it kicks accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning a500 gas or recoil
browning a500gas production years

browning a500r 1988 value

browning model a500 gas or recoil