1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning 425 Light Primer Strikes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by greg2648, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg2648

greg2648 Member

I was shooting a Browning 425 and out of 75 shots I had 3 light strikes. I am shooting a reload with Winchester 209 primer. I have not had a problem with this gun ever doing that. I put the same shell in the top barrel and it fired. This only happened on the bottom barrel. I know that the primer seating depth is okay. I dont know that much about Brownings, but can someone tell me what to try to fix the problem? Thank you. Greg.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

When was the last time the stock was removed and the action cleaned and oiled?

ss

3. greg2648

greg2648 Member

SS--I had the stock off and cleaned the action about 200 rounds ago. Thanks. Greg.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Citoris are famous for light hits on the bottom barrel. Replace the firing pin springs with aftermarket springs and carefully examine the tip of the pin to make sure it hasn't gotten chipped.

5. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

The lower firing pin hole if famous for getting filled with gunk. You need to remove the retaining pin (drive from left to right) and take a cotton bud and clean it out.

The lower firing pin has a sping in front of it, the upper one does not. I thing that having the sping holding it back from the hole allows more spent powder, etc to get into the firing pin cavity.

Good Luck!

Bob

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Good advice, but firing pin retainer pins go RIGHT TO LEFT, going toward the muzzle. The retaining pin is knurled on the left end, and you will have grief if you try to go left to right.

New firing pin, Browning # B1334157, new firing pin return spring, and lower mainspring, Wolff #30217. I use the Browning factory spring for the top barrel, and save the left over Wolff spring for the next annual.

Brownell's has these parts if you are to replacing them yourself. If not, where do you live?

7. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Sorry Shooting Coach, Right to Left is correct. The upper pin is Left to Right. Bob

8. greg2648

greg2648 Member

Thank you for all of the great answers. It looks like I need some new parts. Coach, I live in central Illinois. I am very mechanically incline, but I have never taken pins and springs out of an O/U. I would love to do this myself, but I am a little nervous. Is it fairly easy or should I find a 'pro'? Thanks, Greg.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The job isn't hard but you do need a tool to compress the main springs to remove them. Brownells sells a tool that looks like a screwdriver and works sort of OK, but unless you are careful (read "practiced") with the the tool it's easy for the pin to slip out of the tool and fire across the room like an arrow.

I made a tool from a small diagonal wire cutter by grinding a small notch near the end of each jaw to form a round hole that captures the end of the firing pin when the jaws are closed; much more secure and better control of the spring. The hole is slightly larger than the pin so the pin is not damaged. The tool is not used to pry the pin out of the hammer; rather, the pin is simply pulled/pushed back to compress the mainspring so the end of the pin can be removed from the dimple in the hammer.<center>
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    </center>

You need either a spring tool or a gunsmith.

MK

10. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

If you are using AA hulls for reloads you will notice there is a step down from the ejector to the base of the hull. The rim on a AA is thinner than most hulls and creates a pseudo headspace problem that further contributes to the bottom barrel misfire in Brownings. Try a Remington hull in the bottom barrel and it will aid in a remedy.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.