1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

browning 28 gauge..advise on buying

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

Hello all,

I have been saveing my money for a browning 28 gauge. The one I have my mind set on is a 425 from millers. The price isn't bad for what you get, my friend thatI shoot skeet with has one in .410 and thats all he shoots. I have shot it many times and hit quite a few with it. I'm still not ready for a .410 I do have a bps in .410 but I still have a desire for a 28.

I
    I'll get to the point of my thread. AS nice as the 425 is I have seen browning advertizse a 28 gauge upland field special. I have seen some pictures of them and they look to be of great quality, double bead, nice wood. The price of the gun is about 600 cheaper than the 425.

Woudl this gun be alright for skeet and would it shoot and last AS LONG AS THE 425. I just don't want to buy something and them have to but something else because it just wasn't up to the task.

I know it's less expensive to buy what you want the first time....but if you could save some money and something of great quality it may be worth the purchase.

any help would be greatful

2. John391

John391 TS Member

I can only answer half of your question. I have seen and used a Miller 28ga. Browning. They are beautiful and handle very nicely. Might suggest you get the 30 inch barrels. The 28ga. is a hoot to shoot. John

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a number of fine looking guns and they stay in the house. I bought a second gun just to shoot. With high grade guns and very nice looking guns you will cry if you scratch them. The 28 is a great ga to shoot. I did not have the money for one that I saw years ago. What caught my eye was the great wood it had and it turned out to be a 28 ga. The guy who owned it did not want to trade and I did not have the money. I pointed it oput to a friend and he bought it. Evry time I see him I ask him if he wants to sell it. He smiles and says no. I smile back and say OK. Have fun with what ever gun you decide.

4. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

dolphin 62

Go to gunbroker.com. They have 28 ga synergy classic field models for $1195.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a browning 28 gauge XS with 30 inch barrels and I use it for skeet, sporting clays and even trap. I would highly recommend buying a used one versus buying the miller 425. FWIW. jm

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dolfin, two things come to mind on your question. One how heavy is the upland field gun. They are probably lighter and would not have the same feel and balance as a target gun. and Second does the safety go back to that safe position every time you open the gun? This can be a problem when shooting targets. Both of the two small bore guns tend to be a bit on the light side. I like the the feel of a heavier gun when shooting alot of targets, even with the lighter kick of the smaller guns. If you have a 12 ga. or 20 ga. skeet gun now maybe you might want to think of having Briley tube it with both small bores. Or for the price of a new 28 ga. you more than likely can find a used tubed skeet gun around one of your clubs for sale. I bought and tubed a 525 and love it. I too looked at the Miller guns (very nice) but they are made on reciever that browning stopped makeing two generations ago. I too say look for a 30 inch barrel which you will not find in a field model gun anyway. Hope this helps you out. OH Yeh, you will love shooting the 28 ga. as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Get the 30" 28 ga target gun. You only buy it once. EVERY TIME you pull the trigger on that short barreled broomstick field gun, you will wish you had spent the extra coins.

8. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

dolphin62

Look for the Ultra XS with 30" barrels, you will not regret it. I have never shot the Miller 425 but that it what I also was going to buy until I happened on the XS.

Jack

9. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

i like the 30'' bbls, but if your buying it with 28'' bbls go with the field model and save , its the same action.

10. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

I have a 525 upland dove in 28ga. It is a great gun and shoots oh so sweet. Fits like a glove. I have lots of people that want to buy it. This is my wifes favorite gun to shoot. I think you would like it. 28" screw in chokes. neat gun! Try it and if you don't like it sell it...

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Buy a reloader too.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

As between the 425, XS, and 525, they all aren't going to fit the same. Get the one that fits you the best.

13. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

yes buy a reloader is right.....I have one and 2 flats of new shells aa's and about 800 hulls.

all I need now is the gun.

14. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Truly a novel way to approach reloading. How many shells do you want to have loaded before you shop for a gun?

15. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I won't be shel broke When I get the gun....besides I bough the shells aa's and sts for $6 a box why would I not buy them.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The actions are the same so as far as which will hold up longer it is a non-issue. I have owned 4 different Browning 28's from 26" barrels to 30 inches. I had no trouble shooting any of them but i was shooting starlings with them. I would get 28 or 30 inch barrels for a couple of reasons. they do help a bit with follow through but if you want to sell the gun the buyers will want 30's. everybody thinks you need to have 30's. the best shooting/killing 28ga I have ever owned had a 25' choke tubed barrel and was an 1100 sporting 28ga before they came out with the new 27" barrel. That gun with a 25 was just about as long as a 30" browning since the receiver on the 100 is 5 inches long.

The millers guns are nice but really look a whole bunch like the old 425 series as the wood is kind of that beech/birch looking wood. I am not a fan but it's about personal choice. Incidentally you buy 28ga stuff when the chance presents itself. Normally the hulls are 20 cents each anymore so when you get a chance to buy hulls or shells at the old price you are smart to do so. The lightning series with 24 inch barrels is the only one I would stay away from. I liked my Brownings because the hulls never wound up in the cow shit shooting starlings but in the end I went back to what I shoot best and that is automatics in the 1100 28ga 25-inch barrels persuasion. 28 shoot harder and farther then they should. beware Briley's full choke Browning tubes are a joke. If you need a full choke tube and want it tite you have to pay extra to have one custom ground as Brileys Idea of full choke in a 28 in about light modified. Jeff

17. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Another vote for the XS sporting model with 30" choke tubed barrels. This 28 is one of the finest shooting guns I own and like it so much I restocked it in Exhibition grade feathered crotch English walnut.

13 grains of unique behind 3/4 oz of shot and you have a very economical shooting target/bird killing machine! None better! Phil Simms Stockmaker in Colorado!

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hey Phil, how bout a pic of your gun? AND,, a pic of your sons big bull too? Hap

19. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Hi HAP, I need to post both but I've been bugging Nate to post a photo of the big bull he got a couple days ago---360+ bull elk--shot not over 1 1/2 miles from my shop. If the thing hadn't been so old I'm sure he would have scored much better. You'll see when he gets around to it. Thanks Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.