1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning 28" field - good for skeet ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

There must be some skeet shooters here - I hope ! I like to shoot some skeet in between trap practice. Right now I have a Cynergy 30" composite sporting - its nice - but I am not thrilled with the grip feel. I prefer the grip shape of older Brownings - before palm swells and tight radius shape came to be standard. Having trouble finding a 30" brl ... so am right now considering a beautiful 28" field model (Invector chokes). Will this perform almost as well for skeet .. as a dedicated Browning "skeet" gun ? Look forward to your opinions.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Browning 28

I would not go out and buy a field grade gun to shoot any of the target games, but if you already have a field grade, by all means take it out and shoot it. Shoot what you like and have fun. break em all. Jeff

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Browning 28

Stock dimensions will be very close to a Skeet gun. The older style Invector Chokes should keep the price down, but the gun will work well until you decide you need to "upgrade". LOL

4. bluskyshooter

Browning 28

Jeff - thanks for the reply. Curious to know why you say that ? If it is because of reliability .... isnt a Browning Citori .... a Browning Citori ?

5. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

Browning 28

If the gun fits you it will be perfect for skeet. gun fit is key, not much matters beyond that. Jack

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Browning 28

I mention that only because I don't like to have to remember to slide the safty off after every loading. Also field guns tend to be lighter in weight than a target gun. A heavier gun kicks less!!! Sporting Clay guns make great skeet guns as well. Have fun and break em all. JEff

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Browning 28

I just took an older field grade Citori Hunter, that was a fixed choke (Mod/Full) 30" barrelled gun, and had it reamed out to Skeet/Skeet. I shot skeet with it today, and it felt really good. I think it will be my new 12 gauge skeet gun. A 28" field Citori would work just fine for skeet. Mark

8. bluskyshooter

Browning 28

Oregunner - do the Browning Citori field models have an auto safety that needs switching "off" for every shot ? I wouldnt think they do - but I've never held one.

9. N2deep

N2deep Member

Browning 28

Brownings are popular at the skeet range, they are a solid gun and extremely durable. A 28" barrel makes a great skeet gun, although not the popular trend, most prefer a 30 or 32..

However, we have a lot of guys shooting older 3200s and Citoris with 28s and they are quite successful..

A smart man said its not the bow its the shooter

Have fun Art

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Browning 28

Every Citori I have owned, has had a manual safety. Mark

11. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Browning 28

28 inch is great for skeet. For years 26 was the norm.

Skeet is all about a smooth swing. You can always add a hang on barrel weight to improve stability and smoothness of swing.

Add same amount of weight in the stock to balance. The weight will also cut down on recoil. Softer pad may beneficial. Depends on yourself and the loads
    you shoot. Most hard core skeeters are shooting light 3/4 to 1 oz loads to soften the recoil and save on component cost.

Trigger pull can also be lightened to preference. porting can be done to
    reduce jump on doubles.

If you find it shoots low, you can add a cheek eze pad to raise the comb or have an adjustable comb added later.

I would "test drive it" and make improvements based on your results.

For casual use it will probably do you well. If you get real serious about
    skeet you will have to get into the other 3 sub gauges which means tube or barrel sets and $$$$$.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Browning 28

I've got two skeet guns and don't use them, the gun I use is a 28" Beretta Whitwing field gun, great for skeet. I would bet the Citori would be just as good, and you don't have the auto safety like I do.

Wayne

13. mcdakine

mcdakine TS Member

Browning 28

My 28" Cynergy Field is great! I put a thicker "Cheek-Eeze" pad on it to raise my eye level though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 gauge browning cynergy for skeet

browning field model 28 for sale

is browning cynergy good for skeet