1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brownimg XT misfires

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by willing, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willing

willing Member

I don't know if this applies to all XTs, but with my XT Trap Combo it does.
    I have read all the threads on misfires and finding mine also had the problem, bottom barrel unsingle for the most part,not always, never knew when it would happen. Just a small dimple in the primer, not enough to fire.
    1. I took the firing pins out and thoroughly cleaned both the holes and the pins. Still had the misfires.
    2. Set the primer as high as possible when reloading. (MEC 9000GN) Still had the problem.
    3. Installed Wolf heavy springs. Still had the problem.
    4. One day I stopped at my gunsmith to chat about something else and noticed that he had a jewelers lathe. At that point I asked if he could turn the shoulder on the front of the firing pin to let it protude farther and he said to bring it out and he would take a look at it. A couple of days ago I took my extra firing pin out to him. He looked and said I think
    your problem is the length of the cutout fot the retaining pin. He placed it in a vise and removed
    about half of the material between the cutout and the end of the pin with a file. It took him all of 2-3 min. I went home and replaced the old pin with the modified pin. Yesterday I went to the range and tried it with a shell that wouldn't fire after several attemps before and BANG it fired and every shell therafter. There is a good deep dent in each primer, much deeper than before. I guess it would be possible to remove too much metal so if anyone does this be careful, it might be possible to pierce the primer. Let me know if it works.
    Bill

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has shot Brownings for years. He is a machinist by trade and has made some firing pins that are a little bit longer than the factory ones. As you noted it is always the bottom firing pin. As I understand it, they hit the primer at an angle. Bill Malcolm

3. willing

willing Member

Yes, they do, the hammers are side-by-side so they go in at a small angle.

Bill

4. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Willing,,I had the same problem. Browning does make a longer firing pin, that can be ordered from them. I went the springs (replaced both hammer springs), cleaned and ect. nothing helped. Then last July I was shooting in Utah, and it broke, but good,,,the hammer and mounting pin broke off. The brake was old, so it was cracked for some time. The gunsmith there at the shoot, sent it back to Browning for me,,,Browning warrantied it and sent me a complete NEW GUN, RECEIVER, AND TWO NEW BARRELS. The turn-a-round was 88 days, from day it broke, to the day I got the gun back. Pull the stock, and take a close look at the lower hammer assy.
    Norman

5. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I tried the modify lower firing pin, the same as you did,,with no effect, on the problem,
    Norman

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Bill,

The bottom firing pin has a return spring around the pin while the upper firing pin does not have a return spring. One thing I've done to cure this problem of light hits with the bottom firing pin is to snip about 2 coils off this return spring.

Since the return spring is working against the hammer spring, weakening the return spring slightly will increase the force delivered by the firing pin to the primer.

It has worked for me. You might consider giving it a try.

Easystreet

7. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Well known problem with Browning Citori/Miroku, fixed it here in Australia with a new locally made firing pin slightly longer and gold nitride hardened with a J and P hammer spring, gun has done 3000 rounds with a mixture of cartridges and no missfires

Argus

8. FLIP

FLIP Member

I have the same problem only with fiocchi primers in a winchester hull, works fine in a remington hull same primer. gun is new have opened the firing pin retane slot,any other fixs out there

9. bill2

bill2 Member

Snglfoot, Do you have and will you share the part number of the new longer lower barrel browning XT firing pin. Did you try the new pin before you tried the fixes you explained? R/ Bill Clymer

10. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Bill,,,I don't have the part no., Browning service said to just parts for it, that it is a stock item,,I didn't get a chance to order, Browning parts was closed for inventory,,and the gun broke before I could complete the order. There is a Sub Jr. shooter in my area that did install one,,his Father said it cured the problem, and he had on more problems. I am about to order one tho, I had a "failure to fire" on my 915th shot with the new replement XT. I am hoping I won't, I have 2400 ahots since, with no repeat (fingers crossed).
    Norman

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

B1334157 is the part no. for the 12 ga lower firing pin. Use the Wolff Extra Power mainspring for the lower (right) hammer.

Make sure there is no flash in the firing pin channel which would bind the firing pin and cause misfires.

Using the Cheddite and Rio primers generally give flawless performance.

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

just replaced my pin with a new one, same old part # b1334157, this one i have had for about one year,the top of this pin is not as rounded as the old pin, will let you know how it works,

13. bill2

bill2 Member

I thank each of you for your information. I will be glad to hear reports on the installations of a new standard Browning pin B1334157 from both flip and Norman.
    Coach, In the meantime I may cut firing pin spring and/or install wolf hammer spring.
    Easystreet or Coach, either one of you gents have the P/N on the firing pin spring?
    Argus Tuft I believe your contact has the correct idea and I'm glad to here from you. Is he marketing in the U.S.?
    V/R Bill Clymer

14. FLIP

FLIP Member

sorry new pin DID NOT take care of my problem with fio primers in a winchester hull, still ok in a remington hull. this is starting to get to me,

15. bill2

bill2 Member

Flip, purchased my gun used out of town 16 months past. Took it to the local Browning dealer yesterday and there is absolutly nothing these folks could have done to make shipping the gun to Browning easier. I told them the story, bottem barrel won't fire reloads , they logged it into the books. Told me they have a special shipping container and they would call if info was required or when the gun was returned. They did say it would be a while. I said ninety days and they didn't disagree. Bill Clymer

16. shootsome

shootsome Member

I've had the light hit problem using Fio primers from time to time with my Perazzi. I've only had the problem with Fio primers. These primers seem flat compared to Win or Remington primers. To cure the problem I backed off on preprime station so the primers set a little proud in the brass. Now don't get carried away and set them so high you leak powder or get back flashing. Just adjust it a little at a time until the problem goes away. Good luck.

17. FLIP

FLIP Member

so far i have found 6 guns that this has happen to 3 are mine, with winchester hulls and fio primers misfires.looks like i will load remington hulls for the lower barrel

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Stock No. 30217 - pak of 2.......$ 10.99

Use one for the bottom (right) hammer, and a standard Browning spring for the top. Save the extra Wolff spring for your next service.

I have found some Brownings with a little flash in the firing pin channel. This will bind the pin and might cause misfires.

My Browning Unsingle Combo is remarkably trouble free. It has a minimum chamber and does not like some brands of hulls, but my Perazzis will eat anything.

19. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I have made no mod's to my new XT, and only the one "failure to fire",,,Mine were red Win AA's, reloads, (7/8 and 1 oz). The shell would fire in the top barrel or any other gun I tried. When mine broke I was at a shoot, and a gunsmith there had just replace both hammer springs,, He also sent it back to Browning for me. Yes the Browning turn-a-round is not the best, mine was 88 days from broke, to back to me.
    Norman

20. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

My first XT fired flawlessly. I'm anxious to see how the new one will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.