1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browing XT failed to reset on the second shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by billn, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billn

billn Member

I have had an Browning for a couple of years now and it worked fine, I shot doubles yesterday with another person, it failed to reset for the second shot, I finally got it to work about when the bird was on the down hill side. Not sure what caused it. I was shooting 1 oz loades with 700x and never had the problem before when haveing two shells in it. I have shot it before at games with two shots, but never as shooting doubles. It finally went off after pulling the trigger several times.

The Browning factory is about 30 miles from me, but it might take a long time, or ic an wait until the Grand starts, its not too far from me also, I can take it there and maybe some one there could look at it.

Any suggestions on what could have caused it to not fire on the second shot until after pulling the trigger several times?

thanks,

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Sounds as if you need to remove the stock and give your trigger assembly a good cleaning. Followed by just a dab of oil to lubricate everything. Just my thoughts though.

ec90t

3. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Like 90t said, remove the stock and if you have a compressor carefully give your trigger assembly and your recoil block assembly a shot. Then lube. Another thing to do is change the firing order of your barrels and see if it still happens. I have also seen where a slight burr or material on the recoil block can also cause this. Dan

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

EC90T I believe has the solution. That is what cured my Citori. I had not used it in a while and it would not reset for the second shot. I cured it for the day by bouncing it hard on the pavement, it reset after that. Yes, the gun was unloaded when I bounced it.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It sounds like you were trying to diagnos the problem as the second bird was still in the air...

"I finally got it to work about when the bird was on the down hill side."

I'm guessing you didn't fully release the trigger after the first shot. You were "short-stroking" the return of the trigger, not allowing it to set up for the second shot.

Was this the only occurance during the event?

Doug

6. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Its amazing how well a gun works when you clean it.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

SR1, That was my dads first fix fir all gun problems, gotta say most of my Dads guns have never been to a gun smith. Also when you think its clean clean it again. If you have the adjustable trigger, I need to set mine all the way back, when rushing the second shot I was not releasing the trigger fully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.