1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brought new Life to my Rem 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

About 2 weeks ago I disassembled my 1100 for an overhaul. My dad got the gun for me when I was 11, it has been through years of duck/goose hunting and target shooting at the trap field. I put the gun away in storage for a few years when I moved to NC. I sprayed it down with (LP #7) and sealed it in a VAc Lock heavy bag. Well unfortunately the bag ripped over time and moisture got into the packaging. :cry: I had considerable pitting and seasons of wear and tear that I could not let stand.

I worked over the course of several days using fine grit sandpaper on the receiver and barrel in an effort to get to good metal. It wasn't working to well, the pitting was deep. I decided to take receiver to the local sandblaster to help speed along the process. We taped the areas not to be disturbed and used a fine grain blasting material on the rest. It came out looking great. The sandblast finish was a bit coarse as it was.

I took the parts to a local gunsmith (Ron Fisher across the street from Silver Dollar) that has hot tanks for hot blueing in his shop. Mr. Fisher used steel wool to knock down the sharp edges and it would also make the finish a little shinier. He looked it over and told me he would give me a call when it was done. Today I picked the parts up and started reassembly. I have a new stock with a kick eez and Cra Coil yet to be installed. I'll be working on that over the weekend. While I was at the gunshow over the weekend, I picked up the Hi Vis fiber front sight to replace the white bead. I can't wait to get it complete and go try it out. Btw, Mr. Fisher if you read this, thanks it turned out better than I hoped.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/terrorsquad/?action=view¤t=Rem1100Refinish009.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/terrorsquad/?action=view¤t=Rem1100Refinish008.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/terrorsquad/?action=view¤t=Rem1100Refinish003.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/terrorsquad/?action=view¤t=Rem1100Refinish016.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/terrorsquad/?action=view¤t=Rem1100Refinish020.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v144/terrorsquad/?action=view¤t=Rem1100Refinish012.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

So far, so good!

Don't forget to post the finished pictures.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Looks like you got a nice matte finish. Looks good.

4. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

And it is left handed! I want one!

Doug Allison

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Nice.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nicely done. And nice left hand gun. Pity Remington isn't still supporting left handers. A friend of my son is left handed and could use one.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I wonder why they don't knock off the sharp edges at the factory? I'm going to knock off the sharp edges on all my guns first chance I get. Nice left hander there. They are getting hard to find.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Looks like a new trigger too. Good job. How much $ do you think you have in the overhaul?

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

the gun looks nice. i am a left hander too. keep your original bead should you ever decide to sell the gun. most people want the gun original. i have had numerous 1100's in left and right hand. everyone that i had with the step up rib was a low shooter for me. if it is for you too, consider an adjustable stock. you have a great gun. to me, the l100's recoil less than all the other semi auto's.
    steve balistreri

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Really nice left hander. Ron Fisher (Fisher Arms, Odessa, FL) Comes highly recommended by many at the Silver Dollar Club. A nice guy as well.

Did anybody notice the trigger assembly on this sleeper?

Once again, a nice gun. Too bad Remington and many other gun companies fail to acknowledge the fact that there are many lefties out here that would appreciate a gun designed for them, myself included.

Shoot well,
    Marc

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get rid of the WD-40, and use Breakfree to lube the 1100. WD-40 tends to gum up the internal parts of the 1100. Breakfree will keep the gun lubed an will not gum up the works. HMB

12. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Wolfram,
    I have almost $100 into the cra coil and kick eez, fiber optic was $23. The reblueing job was very reasonable. Another option I almost tried was a finish called Cerakote from my local powder coating shop. Cerakote can be done for near $100. Trigger is a Timney, I have had for quite awhile, the new stock is the one that came with the gun years ago. I cut 1 inch off the stock when I was a kid for fitment (hence the cracoil).

Thanks for the tip hmb on the wd40. I usually use Rem Oil, but I don't think I'll be letting any residue remain on the internals this go around.:)

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Good looking shotgun. Nice that you could save her.

-Gary

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Looks great, I have two 1100a a 12 and a 20 shoot the hell out of them.Mine could use a rework and your pictures hav motivated me. Thanks

15. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

If you have the need to replace the receiver in the future, I have a new 1100 LH receiver that I might consider selling one day.I have it as a backup. You have a nice setup there. I, also have a timney in my 1100 which does alot for the 1100's prformance.
    Sam

16. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Sure Sam, I would be very interested in picking up that receiver. :p

17. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

PM sent.
    Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ron fisher gunsmith