1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bronze statute of Leo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gundog, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gundog

gundog TS Member

There should be a bronze statute of Leo created and place in font of the main doors at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta. It would be greeting all who come, with its hand out as to give a hand shake and his gun resting on his shoulder. It would cost alot but i would contribute. What do you think?

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

WOW, one of the greatest Ambassador's of trap, wouldn't that be something. Scott

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I'm working on it. No response from ATA yet.

Will probably need approval from ATA, IDNR/Sparta, and Karla.

Stay tuned...

milt

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The sculptor who did my project, also did the Chris Kyle Statue--If you need info --PM me

Phil Berkowitz

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

What about a wax figure in the HOF?

6. kcbevman

kcbevman TS Member

I agree with Pulldude.I will also contribute. RIP Leo

Kevin Conrad

7. RAD

RAD Member

I also agree with Pulldude.I'm sure most trapshooters will contribute.

Bob Dobbs

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There will never be another Leo no matter how great they are ... This man was in a class all by himself and deserves to be memorialized as such ... This would of course be with Karla and the Harrison family's approval ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. rw993

rw993 Active Member

I didn't know him, but I watched him. Count me in.
    Ron Wilson

10. mette56

WPT, IMO, not only will there never be another Leo, but there has not been such a shooter in past history. Plus, his honors were gained during the years of numbers of registered target shooters which exceeds days of old and may never be seen again. Mike, you're not comparing apples to apples. Yes, there are many greats from our past, some are personal friends of mine. When the final count appears, if it ever does, his amount of 200 straight singles, amount of 100 straight doubles and amount of 100 straights from 27 will be staggering. Not to mention the amount of first All American team placements, captainships and Grand, Satellite Grand, state and zone wins.

History has recorded many exceptional athletes in various sports. Considering his amount of wins, how many competitors Leo shot against, the amount of years he competed and remained on or near the top, I don't think there has ever been an athlete in any sport to compare with Leo Harrison III. If one comes along in the future, I'll vote for another statue at Sparta.

milt

11. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

Bronze statue of Leo -

Leo was the greatest trapshooter that ever lived, and the most humble man I've ever met...an incredibly rare combination indeed.

Knowing Leo like I did, I don't think he'd like it...

peace.

12. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

I agree on a statue of Leo, but with his and Karla's support of raising funds for the Hall of Fame. I believe it should be welcoming people to that building when it is built. And yes I will contribute also.

13. JT 27

JT 27 Member

PerazziMX2000, You beat me to the punch, if it had not been for Karla & Leo, the Hall of Fame auction would not have returned to The Grand this year. Remember last year, no auction!

14. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Boys:

He was a great man. But, he was just a man. Be careful who you make into your idol.....

Mike

15. Ted Alsteen

Ted Alsteen Member

Rebel:

I think you could have just kept that to yourself. No one is suggesting anything but honoring Leo for his accomplishments.

Ted

16. Kimball

Kimball TS Member

Perhaps......he was that great, Mike. He might not have wanted to be an idol, but he certainly is an icon of this sport.

Dick Egolf

17. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

You know, Leo and Karla were real active in trying to raise funds to get a hall of fame building built. I would say I agree with Carl Chadwell, Leo likely would have wanted the money to go to the building rather then a statue of him. Money for a bronze is nice but the building would serve a better purpose and could still be a memorial to the man.

Mark Zauhar

18. mette56

Mark, and others,

You know, I'm just a friend of Leo's and admirer of who Leo was, his accomplishments , yes, but more the man.

Carl, I agree that Leo would not vote for personal recognition.

But consider this please. Leo was a giver. To youth, to anyone he met for most of, if not all of his life. Especially to trapshooters and the sport.

So why not try to perpetuate his influence by utilizing his likeness or name to perpetuate what he was trying to perpetuate...improvement of trapshooting via encouragement, sacrifice, teaching, support and all else he stood for.

Leo might not like the light shined upon his likeness, but if that light gives back to trapshooting...well, that's what he was all about. I think he'd be proud of, not his likeness, but what lasting effect it might have on the sport he, and the rest of us love.

My intentions, if I'm worthy of helping to inacting them, is to add a perpetual fund, youth support, HOF building fund or any of the best ideas we,(Karla, shooters and the ATA) can invision. So it's not just a statue...it's a foundation with explicit intentions.

It might seem opportunistic to make this proposal, but opportunity is what our sport needs...desperately.

For those na-sayers, I welcome your input. Whether it's a statue, an award or any constructive idea to benefit trapshooting, I'm all ears.

Any proposal made to Karla, ATA and/or IDNR better be a good one.

milt

five seven three-317-9687

miltpalasota@aol.com

or PM me, please

19. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

The last thing Leo would have wanted was
    Negativity! So lets just not even acknowledge
    Rebel ! Now i dont know what Leo would have wanted, but Karla would. If she thinks he would want the statue well lets do it , great idea ! If not lets honor him in a way she thinks he would have wanted! Leo was a simple man. Got enjoyment out of helping others. I think in time we will find out what he would want. But i know whatever it is , it would be some way some how a way to help others. Just as Leo loved to do.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Any fixture on state property would probably require INDR and/or legislative approval. I believe anything movable, not permanent, that could be displayed within the HOF and then rolled for the Grand and/or AIM, the US Open, etc. might be workable...

Respectfully, there are also other considerations. Leo was not a son of Illinois and WRSC is not just a trap venue. While the ATA is a major tenant, it is just a tenant and not the owner...

There was some talk of a traveling HOF display... consider whatever you conceive in that light...

Jay

Search tags for this page

trapshooting concrete statues of a trapshooter