1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Target question????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dan S., Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I might have missed it but can anyone tell me if a target does not break right after the shot, but breaks before hitting the ground does it count? I don't think it should but technicaly does it? I refer to radical examples like targets thrown into the wind that were rising rapidly. The shooter fires and obviously missed as the target continues to rise and go away unscathed but breaks in two before hitting the ground. Is there a clear rule on this?

2. Jay Adams

Jay Adams TS Member

MasterBlaster,

If the target had a visible piece separate from it while the target was still in the air, the target is a dead target. I seriously doubt the target was missed, but rather hit by one or two pieces of shot and cracked enough that the centripetal force caused the hit target to separate into pieces. I have seen this several times on all orange targets. I'm not sure if the paint holds the target together after it is cracked or what. Whatever the reason, the target is dead.

SECTION VII
    OFFICIAL SCORING

B. BROKEN OR DEAD TARGET
    A target (called “Dead”) is one that is fired upon and has a visible broken
    piece from it, or one that is completely reduced to dust. The referee/
    scorer shall record a target dead when it is broken in the air.

Jay Adams

3. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

Jay is correct "Dead". Why do you say you don't think it should be considered dead?

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have seen this twice. Kind of like a delayed reaction to the shot. In fact I was pulling for a squad once this year and I actually started to say lost, had the lo out, when the target seaperated into two halves. Dead. John

5. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

You see it a lot in sporting clays, where the shots are longer.

Thinking is that you get a couple of "golden BB's" into the rim, and it takes a while for centrifugal force to break it. Dead.

The one's that are are a bear to score are rabbits. They are tougher, and so you get more delayed breaks, but the ground breaks a lot too. Breaks go to the shooter.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have seen delayed breaks and they should be scored as dead birds.

But, I did something unusual, and that will surprise no one, when shooting doubles in a very strong cross wind. The second bird was blown far to the left and landed in the top of a 10 foot cedar tree. It stopped there for a second and then began tumbling down, so I shot it. I broke the target before it hit the ground.

The club manager was shooting on my squad and he did not know how to score my target. As always, I tried to help by suggesting that we allow the state delegate to make the decision according to the rule book. That was not accepted because I was the delegate at the time. The club manager, a very close friend of mine, decided that if the target would make any difference on me winning a trophy, it would be counted lost. And, if the target would not make any difference on who won trophies, he would probably count it lost anyway.
    But, the target was broken before it his the ground.

Pat Ireland

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- I thought that trees and grass grew up from the ground. And, sometimes the ground gets blown up into the air. If a target goes into a dust cloud is it on/in the ground?

Pat Ireland

8. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Ducks, While the ref is part of the field, if a forward pass hits him the ball is still live. In your analogy it would be considered an incomplete.

If you were to use the referee analogy I would think the conclusion would be Dead target.

Maybe the better question would be did Pat break the first target? If so he could/should have shot the pair over.

Tom

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

We changed target brands once to save some money and just the spin alone would cause the target to split in two. According the the rules it's scored dead if you shoot at it before it splits whether you hit it or not. A lot of these targets came out whole but split apart before the shot was fired. What a mess.

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Well-Known Member

"...landed in the top of a 10 foot cedar tree. It stopped there for a second and then began tumbling down, so I shot it. I broke the target before it hit the ground."

That was a dead bird, Pat.

11. Jay Adams

Jay Adams TS Member

code5coupe,

I disagree in Pat's example. The target was not broken "in the air" if it was hanging stationary (however momentarily it may be ) from a tree branch. I believe the second bird was lost.

"In the air" implies that the target is in it's uninterrupted flight path.

Interesting situation, but there's my $.02.

Jay Adams

Just out of curiousity...Pat, where were you shooting registered targets that a doubles target landed in the top of a tree??

12. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

here's a scenario i have encountered recently. I am mainly a doubles scorer so i have to make decision rather quick. i have had a hard right target from the house to the left that was broken and the pieces were scattered within the lefthanded bird of my doubles trap. When it is really hard to decide if the original target was broken or not with all the debris littered in the air and you have about 1 second to decide before you have to look at the right handed bird. What do you score that???

Most times i give the shooter the benefit of the doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dead target question -being hit