1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

broken collor bone and shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by max nimrick, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max nimrick

max nimrick TS Member

hi i was wondering if anyone has ever broken their collar bone on their shooting sholder. im a 18 year old high school senior and i have a pretty good wreck on my dirtbike, i broke my collar bone, cracked my sholder blade, and also broke 6 ribs and punctured my lung all on my right side. but my main question is will i b shooting where i was at befor i broke my sholder and collar bone and will it ever give me trouble.

thanks max nimrick

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I suspect that AFTER you heal you will be just fine. Hope you give up motorcycles.

Charlie

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I think you will be just fine. I broke my collar bone at age 15, and I can't remember it being any problem after healing quickly. I am having a slow, steady time recovering from rotator cuff surgery on my shooting side shoulder...but the inside of shoulder was a big mess from accidents (yes, one on a motorcycle in the dirt) going back as far as '73. So it still hurts to lift a trapgun. One other important thing is to watch your posture after all is done...if you end up stooped, out of wack, so to speak, be sure to see a physical therapist/conditioning coach and get strength and straight posture back so gun will fit you correctly and move with you correctly. For the past five years, for example, I've had to shoot "out of wack" and couldn't quite straighten up...and scores so, so, so much worse than in early 90's when I shot trap for a bit, then quit for about 14 years until retirement.

Yup, make sure you heal in a way that doesn't change your for the worse and you will be fine. Good luck!

David

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

you will have trouble..............When you get to be about 60 or so. For now, you are made of rubber. Enjoy it while you can.

HM

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Yep Halfmile is correct I raced dirtbikes for 30 years, broke 9 bones and have torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders, about 5 years ago at age 50 the arthritis pain started cropping up. One of my Ortho Drs told me I would pay for the fun of my youth, I just had Tron fit my BT99 with a Graco. Hopefully medicine will have something for you when and if the time comes. Those broken ribs are fun huh? Can't cough laugh and if you sneeze you jump out of your skin

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well...I'm 65 now, can't believe it. "If I'd known I'd have become this old, I'd have taken better care of myself"...paraphrasing Mickey Mantle.

But...over the years, I have broken my left arm twice, once badly at the elbow. Broke a collarbone once at age 15. Cracked a bone on the right side of my right leg that also left big bone chips floating around. Now recovering from rotator cuff surgery, right side. All injuries due to having fun and being a klutz.

But...none of the aformentioned bone breaks bother me nor have for years and years, and the leg break was oh, 1982 as I remember when I kinda fell off my Honda. On that one, I did limp for a year 'cause there was nothing a Dr. could have done to reduce the fracture nor speed up the natural healing process.

So...injuries when one is young don't always bother one when he/she gets old. It depends, one supposes, on the person and on the injury.

Keep the Faith and Get Well!

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

after 6-8 weeks.

8. max nimrick

max nimrick TS Member

thanks guys for all the comments i thing you all answered my questions. thanks again everyone

thanks again
    max nimrick

9. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Just one last thing, I'm curious are you still riding? With a injury like you just described Id guess you came up short on a double

10. max nimrick

max nimrick TS Member

o ill deffentally ride again my dad asked me that when i was in the hosiptal but ive been struggling on corners and keeping my rpm up and speed and was trying so hard on probably a 70 ft table top i didnt stand up when i went off the jump.

11. dukcall

dukcall Member

Max I dont know about you, you will be lucky to make it to your 19th birthday Dave R.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds familure - I broke my collar bone when I was 19 by falling off a street bike and sliding into a road sign. Took about 3 weeks until I would get back to my job and even then it was limited mobility on the broken side. You are probably looking at about two months before you will want to shoot a long gun. If you try it and it hurts - don't do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.