Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Bird and Score keeper ??

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Recoil Sissy 
#1 ·
A freind and I were talking today about the pullers we saw at a recent shoot and the mistakes they were making and I relayed a story about what happened to me a few years ago, what do you guys think?

While at a large shoot in the fall in Missouri I was shooting my 16s with a group of shooters that I did not know and somewhere in the second 25 I called for my bird, shot at my bird and broke my bird. Just before the next shooter called for his bird, the shooter on post 1 yells out, "that was a broken bird" I looked back at the scorekeeper with raised eyebrows and he said "I didn't see it but shoot it again" I shot again and missed, I checked with the other shooters and none had noticed that the bird was broken

What is standard protocol on when a bird is called "broken" or "no bird"

What should I have done?

#2 ·
I beleive you made a mistake. If you thought the bird was not " a broken bird", you should have asked other squad mates for their input and called a line referee if necessary.

#3 ·
I think your biggest mistake was not breaking the bird the 2nd go around. Then you would feel better about the whole deal. I think the score keeper did right although you have a right to protest at the time of the incident. Just remember to not raise your voice. The score keepers have a tough job already. I hate guys/gals that try to belittle a score keeper. Not saying you did that, just say'n...............

#4 ·
"I didn't see it but shoot it again"

At that time you ask, what didn't you see? If he says he didn't see that the target was broken coming out, call for the line ref., you've already broken your target. One shooter on a squad can create problems as well seeing pieces that are invisible to others? If the broken chip was so small that no one else seen it including the scorekeeper, no harm no foul, dead bird.

I saw that same thing happen at the WV state shoot too. The man smoked his clay, another saw a piece fly off to the right side. What he saw was a black butterfly land about 4 foot to the right side of the house!! After the commotion, the guy called another and smoked it also! So much for Super Man eyesight?

Hap

#5 ·
9point3:

You asked or implied several questions.

1. Mr. Waalkes is correct. A scorekeeper's decision is final and subject to review only by designated shoot management. The opinions of others (including shooters on the squad) isn't a factor unless the scorekeeper allows them to be.

2. If a broken or incomplete target comes out of the house, it's a no target. The result is not scored whether you shoot or don't. If you shoot, it matters not whether you hit it or miss.

All no target examples are covered by ATA rules. Standard protocol means following those rules.

3. If "I didn't see it..." is an acknowledgement by the scorekeeper that he didn't see evidence to support a 'no target' call, you could have appealed his "... shoot it again" instructions with shoot management. You would have likely prevailed in that appeal.

4. "What should I (you) have done?" It was your choice - appeal the call or shoot it again. Having shot again, you made a decision and bought the results.

As a rule, I assume my squadmates (whether I know them or not) are sportsmen. I further assume when a squadmate questions a scorekeeper's call on one of my targets, they are doing so in the interest of fairness. As such, I accept it and act accordingly.

sissy

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.