1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Broken 11-87 piston seal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman Member

I had the piston on my 11-87 break tonight. I had ordered a piston/piston seal kit from Sportsman Guide a while back and tried to use it and it didn't work. First of all it looks completly different than my original and second it jammed up in the barrel hanger.

Is the old "original style" piston/piston seal available? If not how is the new style supposed to work?

Thanks

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Typically, some will accept the one piece ring with no problem. Your is likely not one of them. Google Brownells' and get the old hard chromed two piece set and a new barrel seal.

3. linkerman

linkerman Member

Hey Coach.....

The one that i have is a two piece however it looks nothing like the original. There is a video on Brownells web site that shows how to install the seal and it looks like they are only using one piece.

Thanks

4. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

Brownell's is definitely the way to go. They have both versions of the seal assemblies. I have an old 1100 and two 11-87s with the old 2 piece system like you and then I have a new 1100 Competition that uses the two pieces fitted together. I would call Brownell's because I have ordered the older two piece style on occasion and received the newer setup instead. I've never tried to substitute the newer version for the older 2 piece setup.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you call Remington, they can help you get the old 2 piece seal. They still offer them. I usually find that when a seal does not fit in the hanger, there is a lot of caked on crud from years of shooting, or you are using a Hastings barrel. It is very hard to see the fouling and even harder to remove. I use a special brass brush that has been formed to do the job. A Dremel with a brass brush on low speed can help after a good soaking in Shooter's Choice Bore and Choke cleaner. Brownell's makes a special brush to clean the hanger, but it also seems like an expensive alternative.

6. gkinla

gkinla Member

Brownells piston 767-153-840
    Brownells seal 767-153-850

Remington piston F15384
    Remington seal F15385

7. JTEA

JTEA Member

I always carry an extra set with an 11-87, even when hunting. Not having them can ruin the day.

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 barrel seal activator

11-87 gas piston maintenance

11-87 old style piston seal

does the new style gas piston remington 1100 need activator

f15385 piston seal

remington 11 87 premier one piece gas piston

remington 11-87 piston and piston seal

remington f15385