1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Broke birds faster: trigger or gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RioVistaBob, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RioVistaBob

RioVistaBob Member

I shoot a Perazzi with a release trigger which is not a slow moving gun. Yesterday a good friend let me shoot his Seitz(with a pull trigger)for a round.

Besides smokeballing the targets, everyone commented that I was breaking the birds 10-15'closer then I normally do. They said it's the trigger. I think it's the balance of the gun. The weight distribution on the gun seemed to make the barrel light and fast. The Seitz is a great shooting gun.

What do you think, trigger or gun?

Bob

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I think it was just you and it had nothing to do with the gun.
    Steve Balistreri

3. atanra

atanra Member

I was always told a release will increase your speed not the other way around. Which Perazzi what barrel lengths on both guns. That is a substantial varience in the distance. Balance versus barrel weight ? May have been subcontiously shooting faster so as to not flinch with pull trigger. By The way Seitz release is hands down favorite of any I have shot. Never shot one with a pull.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Never shot a Seitz but I have been told that they have an extremely fast lock time. Whether or not that accounted for your speed I have no idea.

5. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I have actually had the same comments when I was lucky enough to try a Seitz. I did notice it swung to the bird and then seemed to "lock on" to it. Yes the trigger is faster and that will make a bit of a difference but I don't know if it would be noticeable to the human eye. In my case I believe it was the balance of the Seitz. Not sure again if this would make a difference but the one I shot was set up to shoot very high, 28" to 30" high (140% or so).

Greg

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Just a "maybe" but perhaps you were concentrating more, you know really looking hard for the tgt. etc. due to it being different ie pull vs. release--fit--weight--feel--borrowed--etc. The old adage, a new broom sweeps cleaner. They are both mighty fine guns. Ask if you could "try" the Seitz a couple more times, if that GOOD feeling continues I'm thinking Mr. Seitz will be smiling. Ross Puls

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I agree with Ross. I would add that I think speed has a lot to do with how well you are seeing the bird and how aggressive you are at your set up. Individual guns do play a part but your eyes play a bigger part.

JMAC

8. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

To Ross,

I agree that it could be, mostly likely is, the "new brrom" factor. In fact it's one of the reasons I never posted about it myself. I just found it very interesting that someone else has had the same reaction. I was picking up the birds very quickly and hitting them much sooner than I normally do. I've tried other guns, P, K, Blazer and none of them had the same effect, it was just the Seitz. You're also correct that someday the folks at Seitz will be getting a call, from at least me. But first there's that little issue of funding...

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All of the above. HMB

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have shot several SS but have not yet owned one (but I probably will). True the trigger is faster than greased lightning but I doubt that will make any noticeable difference in where the bird breaks. I have found that the gun goes to the target faster and straighter than any gun I have. In short I like the Seitz. Marc

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Obviously the gun fits you perfectly!

But ... it is the old "It will shoot great until you pay for it" syndrome!

If I were you, I would ask to borrow the SS long enough to take it to a good stockmaker and have him alter your P gun to the same dimensions.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think it was bs...was the gun for sale???

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Marc, you should try my special Infinity,its trigger is 3 x faster than a Seitz.

Can make to the $,this weekend still on the mends.
    Phil

14. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

How do you know a trigger is faster than the next???? Show me some factual stats on this speed test.

15. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Ask Dennsi Devault. He has tested the triggers and can provide stats.
    Pat Haskins

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Per Dennis DeVault's tests

Lock time on a Seitz.005 sec

Lock time on an Infinity .0015 sec.

Phil Berkowitz

17. RioVistaBob

RioVistaBob Member

I shoot a DB81 with the release trigger. The Seitz I shot felt like the weight was more in the back which made the barrel seem very responsive and quick to the target. The fit is exactly the same as with my DB81. I wasn't trying to go faster to the target. Very impressed with the gun. Whether I can ever afford one is another question. Out here in the west coast we don't see many infinity's, bowens or ts2000's to compare.

18. bigben

bigben Active Member

Rio vita Bob, you have experienced what many of the shooters feel and comment when shooting a Seitz, with me, my Seitz, trigger is set at 5 1/2 # and breaks like glass! after shooting mine, at our little club, 7 shooters are now Seitz shooters, Pat Mcarthy has sold the guns, set all our triggers and the group is very happy! All the shooters still own p-guns and others but prefer the Seitz way above all! incinerate em!

19. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Both!

20. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

was this a stainless or titanium frame was poi set at 100% this could be helpfull in basing how you shot so quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.