1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Broke a hammer on my TMX

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AAtrap, Sep 9, 2013.

1. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I broke the hammer on my TMX yesterday at a shoot. This is a coil spring, but a friend of mine gave me a spare he had for his TM1 which is a leaf spring. He was kind enough to let me keep it until I can get mine fixed.Where's the quickest place to get one and approximate cost.

Thanks and good shooting,

Steve

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Scroll down and find Jim Flynn and get ahold of him.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't quite get it unless you mean that you used your friend's spare trigger assembly. I have a McDaniels leaf spring Release trigger for my TMX and the hammer is different from the coil spring Release trigger that is my spare. The leaf spring trigger hammer does not have the recess for the rod which is surrounded by the coil spring. I think the leaf spring trigger is Not as prone to hammer breakage. The hammer on my spare coil spring trigger was welded and has not given any more problems and this was a lot cheaper fix than a new hammer which would have required a gunsmith to cut and fit a notch for the release hook.

4. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Sure,you can have someone TIG it. That should work too.

5. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

get a hold of jim whiz at S&W supply co. and change it your self, you can do it, I did, also change out the spring.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Mike, yes I used his trigger assembly and it does not have the recess for the coil spring rod in his hammer. I assumed that you could get a hammer with that recess in it. Didn't realize it had to be drilled for that.

I shoot a pull trigger by the way. Didn't know if welding was an option.

Thanks,

Steve

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Steve, I think it is a lot easier to find a new hammer for the coil spring trigger and you can DIY if you don't need the release setup. Replacing the coil spring is a piece of cake if you have that tool like a pliers to compress the spring. There was another thread on that topic.

8. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mike,I'll keep looking and checking to see what my options are. May make it to the MO Fall Hdc. Phillips is usually there.

Steve

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of your original hammer? I know a few factory hammers from coil spring groups, maybe there's one like yours.

These are what my old gunsmith has in his box. Old sticker reads $103 each (new), he is selling @$49.95 ~$89.95 each

stevew_2008_03033.jpg

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Steve, I haven't removed the broken part from the trigger assembly. It looks a lot like the first one posted. The lighter colored one, but without the hole in the upper part.

Steve

11. BBowen

BBowen Member

I have hammers. Bruce Bowen
    605-490-1139

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Broke a hammer on my TMX

Wow you must have a really tough TMX I hit mine with A hammer dented the barrel and split the forarm hammer is still like new!!

PS Bruce Bowen makes excellent parts I would call him

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

LOL, well,Old One Eye, the hammer in my toolbox is ok, but the one in the TMX trigger group is broken. I may be going to the MO Fall Handicap. If I can't get it taken care of there;I'll give Bruce a call.

Thanks,

Steve

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I had a cracked hammer on my TM-1.

Bruce Bowen said he could put on a new one that was guaranteed to never break.

So I'm guessing the hammer has been on my TM-1 for 20 years now, and he was right. It still has not broken or cracked.

I'd say I got my money's worth.

Thanks Bruce!

Hauxfan!

15. JT 27

JT 27 Member

My TMX was about 3 months old when Giacomo found the hammer was cracked. He replaced the hammer and worked on the profile. He told me the hammer was hitting the bottom of the receiver before it hit the firing pin causing the break. 25 yr.s later I'm still on the 2nd hammer.