1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Broadway Rib model 12 ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dirtyharry357Mag, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Any one know who installed Broadway Ribs on model 12's.. looking for more info on a gun I just got from Biff.. If you search f/s model 12 you can see pic,s of the gun.. or search Biff ..
    also need some info on getting some checkering done on it too.
    How much is a gun like that worth for insurance only not going to sell it..
    Maybe I can get biff to post the pictures ..
    Thank you for your help

2. biff

biff Active Member

Harry, here's a picture of the Model 12 Broadway....maybe someone might recognize it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that will help. Biff

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Herters did a bunch of these

Remember Herters?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Boy, that's a nice gun!! I do remember Herters. Old George C Herter invented everything known to man according to the catalog. I'll show how old I am--There was a time when I started reloading that you bought a tin of primers that was only the explosive cup. You punched out the center of the primer and kept the anvil, wiped it off and put it back in the shell. I did this!! Fiber wads were all that was available (George C also invented plastic wads)I can also remember buying a ton of primers as we know them today for $5.00 for five thousand. Hertres had some of the best wood you would ever see and for good prices too. I always looked forward to the catalogs and spent many hours looking through them. Loaded on a Super 250 Mec single stage.
    Kid form North Alabama

5. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Has anyone ever seen a rib like that on a Model 12 before ?? I think I did when I was just A kid, thanks for the help and info.. Harry

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I saw Herters ribs on Model 12s like this and other guns as well- seems like when one guy would get one- someone else would have to try at the gun club

Dont know if this is a Herters rib or not- could be

There is a gunshop up in Minn that purchased Herters stuff- forget the name but it begins with an A I think that if you sent them this picture- they might be able to help

Gene

7. C1

C1 Member

I don't think this is a Herters rib. If I remember correctly Herters had the outside rows of hatching running at an angle to the center straight lines (to guide your eye to the center of the rib). I sold my last Herters catalog a few years back so I can't look it up.

Gary Riecke

8. philk

philk Member

In the pics it looks like the outside serrations are angled to me.

9. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

When I was in high school back in the last century, if you were a shooter you HAD to have one of Jacques Herter's catalogs. If you saw something in the catalog you "needed" you could go to Leslie Edleman's and buy it off the shelf "right now" so you didn't have to wait.

Herter's was sold to Art's Gun Shop and he still makes most of the Herter's stock finishing products along with Herters Belgian Blue.

I think I just dated myself?

Jere Cossaboom

10. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I had one of those ribs put on my Model 12 Field Grade, by Herters. That Rib & some Moleskin, made a fine trap gun. The gun & rib are still in great shape. I use to wait for their catalog, like I did for Santa & The Easter Bunny. They made the world's best of anything they sold. Products were good,service was excellent & they guaranteed everything they sold. I even shot their Sonic bullets in my rifles, as well as their Precision Quality Jacketed 30 cal bullets in my 30'06. I am stiil using,thankfully not often, their stuck case remover.
    Joe Jordan

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Any of you guys remember the Herter's "long range" un-slit wads? Heaviest wads I ever loaded and shot, killed outa one end and crippled on the other! Those things musta weighed close to 60 grains!

I shot my first 25 from the 27 with one of those broadway ribbed model 12s!!

Hap

12. biff

biff Active Member

Hey Hap which end were you on? I'm sure you crippled a bunch of birds! Biff

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I called both ends the receiving end when shooting those wads Biffer. I got smarter after the first bag of wads were gone! Didn't buy or shoot another one. The phrase "kicks like a bank mule" gave one first hand experience. Yeah, I crippled a couple.

Hap

14. C1

C1 Member

Philk, the way I remember it was that the angle was 60 degrees or so. These look to be 90.

Ok guys do you remember the name of the wads that were not slit to the end?

Also Herters made a wad with a rounded bottom on the shot cup. Remember the name?

My favorite name that George L. used for some of his products was "Model Perfect". Darn I miss that company.

Gary Riecke

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Chalise. jeff

16. biff

biff Active Member

Hap, I'm glad I didn't have any of those wads when I was shooting the KS5, as it was even the lightest loads staggered me like I was hit in the head with a brick! Biff

17. philk

philk Member

C1, this is very interesting to me, I`ve never seen this before. Now if I could only find a RKLT A5 with a Broadway rib.....

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Oh Hap, you broke me up about the wads. I know they traveled further than any other wad on the market. I always attributed the wallop to the base design. Remember they were straight and fairly soft and I think they sealed real well heading out. But your right they were heavier and that sure had to help. I restocked a model 12 with their wood, and enjoyed a lot of their products. I also believe that's a Herter's rib, and the old chalice wad was also correct. Great times! Bob

19. C1

C1 Member

I still don't know about the rib. If someone on here has an old Herters Catalog maybe they could do a little research.

The wads that were not slit all the way were called Vandalie and the ones with the round bottom were Chalice and further the Chalice wads were produced later by a company first in Minnesota and then in South Dakota if my memory is correct. They were black and a lot of targets were mistakenly called dead because of the confusion of the wad being seen as a piece off the target.

Gary Riecke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.