1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brittney dogs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by razor, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razor

razor TS Member

We had our Brittney at our gun club. We got talking with a guy who mentioned the long hair on the back of her hind legs. He called it her panties. We had never heard that before. I have looked on the internet to find the names of the long hair on the back of all her legs but can not seem to find anything naming this. Does anyone out there no what it is called??

Ellie

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Well if she had a tail like a true bird dog (English Setter) they might be referred to as "feathers". ;) You might ask some show people as they groom theirs and they are especially long.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When they get cockle burrs in them, they're called a royal pain in the ass!

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't know what you call it but I sure love my Brittney---sjb---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Panties? Why not bloomers?

On a bird dog we call them "feathers"!

6. rooster59

rooster59 TS Member

Feathers

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter what you call them .... a Britt is a clown of the pointing dog world according to my GSP.

Now if that cast doesn't bring something to the top nothing will!

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

That GSP ain't much better. None of the "Continental Breeds" are worth feed'n. I don't see the attraction to dogs that would rather piss than point and cover about as much ground as a three legged pig.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here is a true 'gun dog' - resting on her laurels.

Notice the feathers...
    hslds_2008_0303.jpg

10. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

this is Ann, Brad's wife. We love our brittanys they tug at the hearf strings and really look into your eyes when communicating with you. I trim my britts to 3/4 to 1" on their feathers at the beginning of hunting season and use a light weight vest but you have to watch for them overheating. Buy the time the hair grows out most the cockle burrs are gone. In the cold weather I use the neopreme vest. I had a britt that went into hyperthermia shock. He is fine but a GPS had one the same day on the other farm. We shoot @ around 5000 pheasants a year with my dogs. The harvest average is around 75% unless I have trapshooters out then it is 100% and maybe a few extras. We have a great time here. Importantly the time it takes to brush them out is worth it because it also give me an opportunity to check their eyes and flush them out with saline solution and check for injuries. I have 15 britts, oldest 14 yrs, youngest 4 months. Here is a small pile.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good come back Bridge, my good hunting buddy runs the Britts and we constantly go back and forth on who has the better dogs ... of course I do but none the less it is fun to hear him brag about his little clown dog. Funny thing is we don't have a clear winner based on bag counts ......

Seriously I like all bird dogs, even the Britts

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had three brits during my quail hunting days and they were the best there was.

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I'v had all the bird dogs(English pts)I loved them but you need a chain,or a elect collar,or a horse to keep up with them---I had the best---won many field trials with them but to hunt them you better be young and in good shape---I had GSP's---They were great---killed many quail---I now have a Brittany and he will find most game that I can follow and if stops to take a piss I take one with him---so what---We have killed so many over the yrs that if we miss one,tomorrow will be another day---The Brits are a pleasure and I love mine---
    gL---sjb---

14. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

As an owner of a French Brittany I can Say that they are by far the best dog I ever owned. She hunts close and would chew her own foot off to be by my side. What more could you want from a companion. For the record my brother owned 3 GSp's and stated to me on many occasions that he wouldn't hesitate to own a britt. This is an old pic but how can you say no to a puppy. P.S. no matter what kind of dog you have< all of them show love unconditional. Good luck Chuck Hrosik
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. razor

razor TS Member

thanks so much for the info & pics guys, feathers sound better anyway. ellie