1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BRITT ROBINSON Tahoka, Texas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

People, this is the second thread, recognizing out standing shooters in Trap Colorful past, this fellow Britt was a traveling partner at times With Dan Bonillas, I am sure you fellows have some interesting stories, please feel free to entertain us, I will start with a story from Britt himself of an interveiw he did, talking about shooting in the wind, here is Britt:
    In the late 90’s some friends got me in to shooting bench rifles. They have the national bench rifle shoot in the middle of Odessa; it’s about 120 miles from us, south. Okay, the wind blows right here about ten times more than it does anywhere else. The people from back east and out west, they’re used to shooting without too much wind. I won one of them, I should’ve won both of them, but the dirt was blowing so bad you couldn’t see .

(In trapshooting), they used to let you test fire in the ground, you know, you could shoot one before you ever started the round. One time while at Tucson, there was a direct cross wind from right to left and from the 27 and I know about where I break a target. Boom, you can shoot the ground and I could see how far the pattern moved. It drifts. The wind’s going to move a shot pattern, I already knew that when I got to the rifle shooting.

Anyway, we were there shooting one time and Kay Ohye was shooting with us and one of the guys from Amarillo. All of them were 27 yard line shooters. We shot the first trap and it’s about a 40-something mile an hour wind, I mean straight right to left, one of them good old days when you wish you could go in and play hearts. Anyway, I think I had like a 23 or something on the first trap. All of those guys, Kay Ohye, all of them, they all had something lower. Well I know our lead off guy had a 15, Kay Ohye and them might have had an 18 or 19. (One of the guys) walked over to me and said, “what are you doing?” And I said, “what do you mean?”. And he said, “well how do you shoot that, what are you doing different?”. And I said, “well like if I’m on five and you get a straight away, you gotta shoot to the right side of it, because if you shoot at it you’re going to be way to the left”. They said, “aw that wind’s not blowing that much”, and I said, “ok, well you asked”. So I said, “if you’re on post 3 and you get a straight away you better shoot to the right side of it or you’re going to miss it”. Anyway, I ended up with a 94 that day, Kay Ohye had a 69, that guy had a 55. I think after I showed Earl (Scripture) and told him what was going on he had like a high 70. How do you explain that to people if they don’t shoot in it all the time

2. Scott Johnson

I know a lot of you have taken classes from Britt and or shot with him, please pass on any interesting stories and opinions. Scott

3. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I saw Britt, Larry Gravestock, Gene Sears, Myron Willowby(Sp), Bufford Bailey,
    C.E. Barnhardt, Frank Little, and 3 others (can't remember) shoot in what
    was called the Blue-Grey Shootout at North Platte Nebraska. Even though Frank
    Little broke the first 100 in doubles that I had ever seen, Britt and Larry Gravestock just seemed to stand out. Both were very friendly and always smiling. Britt shot so fast it was hard to believe. I believe this was in 1973.
    In 1974, I went to the Grand. I watched all the good shooters that I could.
    Britt and Larry stood out above the rest, I believe that Britt won HOA and
    Larry HAA. Some shooters that I knew little about also really impressed me
    (Bonillas, Stafford, and Leo), but at that time it seemed Britt was at the very
    top of the heap. I won $260 in a handicap, Britt was ahead of me in payout
    line and won $2800. He treated me like a friend, even though I had only met him
    once. Outstanding guy. I do not remember any of the above mentioned shooters
    turning down any targets, if they did it was very rare.

Gary Owen

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had Britt come up to Pocatello at least a couple of times to give classes. What an outstanding teacher and person! One of his good friends was Louise Benners. It was really something to hear them talk about live bird shooting.

5. Scott Johnson

This is why I started these two threads, I could sit and listen to trap stories all day long. This is history that needs to be repeated and remembered. Maybe next week we will start another one? By the way, I can personally say what little I have seen of Leo and Ray, Great guys, true ambassadors of trap, but that may be another thread later. Scott

6. Scott Johnson

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of having Britt on my squad for most of the '90 Montana State Shoot in Great Falls. I'd been told he was going to be there and had no idea I'd be so lucky as to shoot with him. What a class act! First, I had to get over my astonishment at how fast he could smoke a target. I shoot reasonably fast but Britt is a whole different matter! And then we were shooting the class doubles and I got a chip on a target that was called lost and Britt immediately brought it to the puller's attention. It gave me a 50 straight on that trap. I think Britt shot a 49. Then in '94 I attended Britt's clinic in Great Falls. What a wonderful experience! Classy all the way and he worked on my strengths and not trying to create another Britt. My next 2 registered doubles scores were a pair of 98's. I guess I was listening. Unforgettable!!

Ron Burr

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Some decades back there was a good prize/money shoot in Leos neck of the woods. Britt called Leo to let him know he was coming up and of course Leo invited him to stay at the house. Of course I was there as usual. Back then existed less sophisticated video games and one such was called B51 Bomber. For whatever reason Britt and I played that came to no end. Poor Leo never got a chance to watch the downstairs tv all week. Also I don't know how timely Britt was getting to the trap club and his squad prior, but he never made it that week. Leo n I was already famous for being late.

Same shoot, we went to Pizza Hut one night. Ordered a couple and when they came Britt asked the waitress to bring him some Heinz ketchup. Oh but sir we don't have ketchup. Well ole Britt was having a tough time believing they wouldn't but finally accepted it. Made Leo drive h ovrr to the grocery store to get a bottle.

9. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

When I first saw him shoot at the ole Mile Hi Trap Club, he had the Ljutic, big black cowboy hat and those Rayban style glasses. He shot the 27 yd targets faster and hit em harder than anyone I have ever seen to this day. He had style plus super talent and I met him later just briefly and was always a gentleman. The glory days of trapshooting to me starts with Britt, have seen all of them shoot in 40 years and he is still the best in my eyes anyway.

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I never had the pleasure of seeing Britt shoot. Any video out there?

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Britt was putting on a clinic several years ago in the next state. I drove over and shot 400-500 target with him right behind me on each shot.

I believe I broke 2 100's from the 27 and later that eveing Britt, Susan, his grandson and I went into town and had dinner together. He told me NOT to come back, but to go back home and pack my bags, then return because we were all going to NC to shoot live birds. He said we'd make a goodly sum doing it.

I told him I didn't want to do that as I had two young kids at home and the wife was enjoing the summer off from teaching. He said, boy you are the shooting image of me, and we needed to go.

I did not make the trip, but got all of them back up here a year or so later and they really enjoyed playing tourists here in the Black Hills. We started a long, good relationship.

He is one of the humblest and nicest big-gun guys I have ever met, along with Ray Stafford and Dan Bonillas (we sat next to each other as we flew out of Vandalia).

As mentioned above, I was fortunate to see Britt and Larry shoot in 74 and 75 at the Grand. Buford Bailey ("Mr. Singles") kinda took me under his wing at the 74 Grand and was the first to congratuale me when I broke the high score in the Vandalia Handicap.

I've never forgotten Britt's comment when I would jump at a target, because I shoot fast. He'd say, you're lucky on that one, "cuz you was a fudgin'!"... as he lightly smacked you in the back of the head with the trap cord. What a gerat guy!

WW

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Zard, Britt told me the reason behind the heavy ketchup usage was he had to eat alot of goat when he was young. I could understand. Now I use alot of ketchup as well but don't get close to him.

Charlie, greased lighting would be a way of describing Britt. Second bird of doubles was broke before most fired on the first.

13. Scott Johnson

Keep em coming Mike you are living trap history, sir. Scott

14. Scott Johnson

Here is part of an interveiw Britt did, pay attention, he is 27 yarder at age 13, wow. Scott

I’ll tell you, we were on our way home from Montana, we were up there for the state shoot, a friend of mine and his wife, and we were going to stop and shoot the Spanish Fork. I said that’d be fun but I had to go home and shoot in Amarillo and go straight to the Grand. I told (my friend), they don’t throw targets very hard there. And he said, well everybody’s breaking them. And I said I know there’s people from Texas that send 20 cases of shells up there and they go up there and pump their averages up, but I said Mr. Orlich told me when I was 13 year’s old out at Harold’s Club, we were sitting there one morning having breakfast. And I said, what can I do to make myself better? He said, how old are you? I said 13. AA? And I said, yes sir. 27? Yes sir. And he said, do you keep a score card? And I said, yes sir. And he said, quit. An average won’t win you one trophy at the Grand. And he’s right.

15. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I grew up about 30 miles from Britt in the little town of Wellman, Tx and as for Drinking Dr. Pepper That was the drink of choice in that part of Texas as when we grew up there was no Beer or hard liker so you drink Dr. Pepper and I still do. I ask Britt why he shot so fast and he reply was less angle. Sure holds to reason doesn't it. Bob Roberts

16. Scott Johnson

Here is another old post of Britt's accomplishments at a very young age. Scott

Britt Robinson, 12-year-old trapshooting whiz from Tahoka, Texas, took three prizes in 81st annual Texas Trapshooting Tournament at Amarillo, including state junior handicap title, despite fact he will not be classified as junior until his 15th birthday.

17. Scott Johnson

Betty and I want to shoot Spanish Fork once this year, lots of history there also. A lot of big names past and present have shot there. One of todays Western greats, Stu Welton has shot very well there, but Stu shoots very well everywhere also. Keep them coming guys and gals anymore Britt stories? Scott

18. Scott Johnson

19. Scott Johnson

20. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Champion ll you can contact Skip Trammel from Idalou Tx. and he can tell you how That Ljutic was choked as he has it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

britt robertson tahoka tx

britt robinson rifle
britt robinson tahoka texas