1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Britt Robinson confused the scorekeepers.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ljutic73, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I remember that happening at the '90 Montana State shoot in Great Falls....Britt shot post 5 on my squad for the week....scary fast!

Ron Burr

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Years ago, while flyer shooting, I was told that Britt hit them so fast they'd fall back into the box.

milt

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I heard clubs had to put steel plates in the traphouse roofs. He was so fast he'd shoot them on the arm..

4. drgondog

drgondog Member

Britt was very fast on Box birds. Homer Clark and Richard Smith were faster.

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Yes he was. I shot pigeons with both of them in the early 70's. Homer was getting of pretty good age at that time. Larry Gravestock was the one who used to shoot pigeons so fast they fell back in the boxes. If you never knew Larry you missed a real character. He and John Hall could have made a good living as stand up comics. Jimmy Borum

6. drgondog

drgondog Member

Jimmy you are right about Gravestock (and his Model 31).. The last time I shot with Homer was in the late 80's at the Dallas Gun club - and he was still faster than everybody except Richard Smith...

As to being so fast that the birds fell back in the box - when Barnaby traps replaced the Fall Away boxes that stuff didn't happen often except for middle box. We always had a 10-20 mph blowing for all directions and I have seen Gravestock, Robinson, Smith, Materrelli, etc lose 20% of the birds - it just happens to the best no matter how good they are.

Bill Marshall

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

What happened to make Britt basically quit shooting? I know he was giving clinics on a restricted basis a few years ago - took one myself. Very good clinic.

But I never asked him why he quit shooting at a relatively early time in his career, whereas Ray Stafford, Dan Bonillias, Leo, and others have kept shooting at some level.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

slow pulls???

9. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

vision!

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I used to shoot around him in Oklahoma. He could break a target before most could focus on it! Simply an amazing and gifted shooter!

11. ljutic73

As I understand it, Britt suffers from a congenital vision problem that his Mom also had. He realized he couldn't compete at the level he set for himself so withdrew from competition. And our sport is the worse for it. A very nice man, incredible shooting coach and the best trapshooter I have ever had the pleasure of shooting with.

Ron Burr

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I attended a clinic of his many years ago for double help. For I shoot fast too, but we never got around to doubles.

Britt and I hit it off really well. I shot 300 27 yard targets with him behind me on every shot. I believe I ran 2 100's in between his remarks about "You're fudging" and a tap in the back of the head with the cord he was holding!

At the end of the day he, Susan, their grandson, and I went out for dinner. He told me to head back to Rapid City, pack a suitcase, and get back to Wyoming the next day cuz we were going to shoot live pigeons down south. He sait to me that he'd never seen anyone shoot as as as he did until "today" day. He even gave me a pair of cowboy boots; never could figure that out, as I like shooting in sandals.

Unfortnately, I had two children at home and just couldn't see fit to leave for a couple of weeks shooting, even tho Britt told me we could make some big time cash.

He and I became pretty good friends and I have had him up here in the Black Hills a couple of times since them. He's a pretty down-to-earth Texan and easy to like.

Whiz

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have read many posts about Britt but never had the privilege of seeing him shoot. Does any video exist of this legendary shooter?

Charlie

14. ljutic73

Great interview. And what he says about every pupil being different and working on each shooter's individual strengths and problems is exactly how Britt teaches a clinic. He does not try and turn you into another Britt Robinson because, well.....that's impossible...but take his clinic...do what he says and you'll be a better shooter. I'd love to take another clinic from him...oh and watching Britt shoot doubles or hard rights from 27 yards on post 5 is a religious experience!

Ron Burr

15. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I ask Britt one time why he shot so fast , and in his good west Texas humor he said, LESS ANGLE. For him it was just that simple. Bob Roberts Wellman, Tx

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

His words for me shooting fast, was "God didn't have as much time to play with the target!"

17. drgondog

drgondog Member

IIRC Britt shot a 32 in MX8 IM/F, Billy Perdue shot a 30" Purdey 3/4 and F, Richard Smith shot a 28" Broadway M/F and then a 28" Marocchi M/F, Homer Clark a 30" M/F SO3EELL. Stafford shot several but I remember a 30" IM/F MX8

18. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

A lot of nice things said here about a real gentleman. As was said, I attended one of his excellent clinics, and given the chance I'd take another one.
    Jerry in Oregon

19. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

He put on a clinic here in Boise about 5 years back, I took it and haven't shot since. He was sharp. Still have his handouts and remember everything he said. I enjoyed his humor and seriousness. Smooth, smooth, smooth, he said, smoother,smoother, smoother.

20. ljutic73

Britt came to a couple of Montana State shoots at Great Falls, until the Texas State shoot date conflicted with it.

Ron Burr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
brit robinson trap shooter

britt robinson

britt robinson trap clinic

britt robinson trap shooter

britt robinson trap shooting instruction

britt robinson trapshooter

great shooter britt robinson

homer clark trap shooter