1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brinkman smokers /Electric

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have two smokers, both the black "can" type, one is electric, the other is charcoal fired. The charcoal fired unit has a water drip pan above the coals, the electric one was given to me and has never been used. IT has a pan with a HOLE in the middle, I am not sure HOW to rig this up? Sit it directly on the Element? What is the point of the hole in the middle? Where do the wood chips then go??? Any help appreciated....Frank (the fisherman) C.

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Try the link above. Anything is available on the net.

3. Frank C

I DID download a manual, but my unit has GOT to be `15 yrs old, and is not the same design as the one in the manual. I think I have got it down to the fact that I will need a small metal tray to lay directly on top of the heating element, this tray will get the soaked wood to generate the smoke. I also saw something about a tray for lava rocks on another brinkman site.....I think the smoke and heat from the chips will suffice for now....I'll let you know how the Salmon fillets turn out tomorrow....

4. Chris

Chris TS Member

On my electric brinkman, at the bottom is the lava rock tray along with the heating element. This is where I put my wood. Just lay it on the rocks.

Above this goes the water pan. It has 3 hangers that holds the water bowl. This bowl is gray in color, kind of like a porcelin bowl.

Above the water bowl goes two grates for the meat. The bottom grate goes just above the water bowl. The other grate goes about 10" above the bottom grate.

Hope this helps!

Chris

5. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Soak your wood chips in water and put them aulm foil, place them on heating coil.

6. drucker

drucker TS Member

save some money, buy a cookshack and never look back.....that and the Big Green Egg are the best smokers, outdoor cookers made...

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Chris is correct. Mine is set up same way. But it's about 15 years old.

8. Frank C

I managed to kluge two old smokers together (parts) found a small metal tray and am enjoying some nice Lake Winnipesaukee (nh) smoked Salmon with a cold beer....thanks all....hic

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

drucker stated buy a Cookshack and never look back. Well here's a chance to own one. I have for sale a Cookshack Smokette three shelves fully insulated used very little. They are a good electric smoker and easy to use. Located in S.E.Minn. If you want the ultimate in a smoker buy a Stumps or a Superior gravity feed and then you will never look back.

Soaking your wood in water isn't a good idea. Wet wood seems to create a heavy white smoke that tends to be to strong and could give your meat a bitter taste. Keep in mind you want to create a more clean blue smoke and you need air and some fire to do that. Instead of using charcoal switch to lump charcoal you may find you will get a better flavor.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buy a Traeger

11. Chris

Chris TS Member

You know, I just did buy one. I'll probably sell my smoker at a garage sale.

Absoultly love the "Traeger".

Chris

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I don't grill with the Treager even though people swear by it for that. I smoke salmon, steelhead, pork for pulled pork and ribs. I have a shoulder raost in today for some pulled pork. What model did you get Chris? I bought mine 7 years ago when they first started out- went to the factory in Mt Angel Oregon and picked it up, added the digital temp, wheels, frt tray and smoke rack. It is a Q75 seven years old and going strong. Once a year I clean it out good, nothing else needed.

13. Chris

Chris TS Member

I bought the BBQ075 with the 180 degree digital thermometer. Probably the best thing I have fixed was boneless pork ribs! Delicious!

I love doing burgers and hot dogs on this. Just set the temperature for how quick you want things done. Nice thing is stuff doesn't burn or char.

Wonderful taste!

I've spent money on cheap BBQ's that last about a year and a half, for around 200.00 each. Grates rust out within this time.

Time will tell but for now I love it!

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.