1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing out the Auto-5...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Opening Day for Pheasant starts in Illinois in just a few hours and I'm breaking out the Auto-5. Going traditional this bird season...

Wishing you luck on knocking down a couple roosters...

jay

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

In the marsh an A-5 is commonly referred to as a "Boat Oar".

Curt

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Or a single shot...

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Curt and claybrdr, I shouldn't own up to this, but with you guys knocking the old reliable humpback, it brought back a memory. My Father had an old Rem model 11, they were the same as the Brng. I was still a teenager and out in the marsh with a fellow I grew up with for the evening flight. All of a sudden the gun developed an ejection problem and the hulls wouldn't clear the port making it claybrdr's single shot. After a half dozen manual removal's I finally noticed that I was shooting 3" mags that had been left in my coat pockets from a previous hunt with my model12. Yes Curt, it was a 3" mdl 12,LOL.
    So I can appreciate Jay's use of a vintage gun. Shoot often while we can, Bob

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I will take the A5 over anthing being made today. It is one of the best water guns made.

6. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I waterfowl hunt with a newer Japanese A5. The gun hits em hard and cycles flawlessly. Not sure of the exact number or exact verbage, but I think the owners manual said the gun would have to be shot 500 times to break it in. I remember thinking most hunting guns probably don't get shot that much in a lifetime. Shot a couple rounds each week till I felt it was broke in. Made me more familiar with the gun. My Lab may not agree, but I think I shoot it pretty well.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have a 1959 light 12...same year I was born..I wouldn't trade it for anything.....with in reason!!

tony

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

One of my "go to" favorite all time guns after 45 years of hunting is a Sweet 16 Browning A5 with a plain barrel. Other "go to" is a Browning Double Auto Twelvette. Then either a A5 Magnum Stalker or a Winchester Super X3 for waterfowl.

The only time I ever had an A5 not kick out shells was on one dove hunt where it rained and a 1967 Sweet 16 with bright green streaks in the stock and the forend had the forend swell. Took it home, dried it out, used a little sandpaper on the inside of the forend and it never did it again. A5's, if reasonably taken care of, is one of the most reliable hunting guns ever made.

DoubleAuto

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Bought mine, used for $75, for ducks in 1959. The first two shots of three dropped two green heads. Never had a hitch with it.....Bob Dodd

10. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

In the field, I always go retro with the one of my Browning Double Automatics. They are a pleasure to carry,shoot, and they look so good.
    Doug Allison

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

What if you were an engineer or product designer and your boss gave you the following assignment?: Design and build a product which will not only redefine the high end in its product class, but will continue to sell well, virtually unchanged, for nearly a century. Can you think of a product developed in your lifetime which will still be selling well, in its original form, 90+ years from its inception?

That, my friends, is what John Moses Browning accomplished with the venerable Auto-5 (and his 1911 pistol). If it weren't so costly to maufacture, this high quality and innovative classic would still be in production today. But it doesn't need to be... because the ones made decades before we were born will still be operating decades after we are gone.

Hats off to JMB. Let's show a little respect:)

-Gary

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Wow Dbl Auto, that is unusual engraving on the Double Auto. What is the grade and history of that one?

13. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

ou.3200, I see by your call sign that we are impressed by the same shotguns, as I love the 3200 too! The pic of this gun is a story of one that just got away from me last week. It was for sale on gb.com by a gunstore calling it a B80-Twelvette. It is neither a B80 or a Twelvette. It is an early lightweight DA and after doing some research it is believed to be a presentation model and rare. It sold for $650. I couldn't tell from the auction pics what it was. The seller sent some close up pics the day the auction closed and by the time I got home from work it was over and sold. I bet some DA collector got it and it won't see the light of day for some time. It is very beautiful IMO and had the recessed rib on it.
    Doug Allison

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Seen this thread and it made me think about a very dear friend . He past away three years ago and before he died he gave me his Auto 5 sweet 16 . This was one of many guns he had but the Sweet 16 was his favorite . He bought it new in 1956 and hunted with it for years . About ten years ago he had Browning redo it to as new condition . I,m thinking of giving it to my son a hunter that would use it as it should be used .

ALF

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

break in 500rds. guess mine is after 500,000 from1950 and havent put one of those prazzzzzziyy spring kit junk that come in the vino land yet

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Dbl Auto - Thanks for the information on the Twelvette. I looked at the closed auction on Gun Broker. It is an interesting variation with the engraving and figured wood. You are probably right on it being a presentation piece, at any rate it is not an ordinary Twelvette.

17. gold40

gold40 Member

My old A-5 dates from 1951, and has a 12 ga. factory solid-rib CYLINDER bore barrel.

It never malfunctions and attends many bird funerals.

gold40

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

687EELL

My Auto5 was the first Gun I was able to buy with out having a parent sign for it.

I have no clue how many thousends of rounds I have shot at quail dove rabbits and a few ducks, but for the last 6, and just starting the seventh target year of ATA, it has been my gun of choice! It has busted a couple limits of those dove a few quail, 99 of 100 in practice and 467 out of 500 registered trap targets since the August 1, with a 100St thrown in.

Set up for heavey loads is very pleasent to shoot even with super handicaps!

And all those shells I have had to hand eject(ie save), have made really good reloads! WIN WIN and yes it is winner at trap also.

Also Someone said the A5 is out of production because of cost! No it is out of production because the wheels at That B company, thought they would sell more of the their other models if they dropped it! I think they have been proven wrong! BUT ARE TO HARD HEADED TO ADMITTED IT!

Al Lingham

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My '54 Light Twelve (28/M) is a joy to shoot and carry afield. Even though I've shot it plenty, I've kept it nice.

Saturday in NCI, it was still too wet and the corn still in, but we had a great time stalk hunting regardless, although we only a saw a few skittish birds...

The birds won that day, but then it is called "hunting"... as soon as the corn is out, we'll have our real "opening day".

regards all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.