1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bring back the poll tax...!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Don Steele, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

How does ANYONE think our nation can prosper and regain it's leadership position when our voter rolls are flooded with the names of individuals who have NO STAKE in the outcome other than how much the winner will give them...??? We'd get a better class of leaders up there in D.C. if there was a requirement that in order to vote, you must either be a property owner, or pay a 500.00 poll tax. I'm seriously worried about the long-term affect of all these quick-vote schemes...instant registration, motor-voter, no-I.D. check voting, etc,etc. Out national elections should be a sacred time. A day off for everyone to line-up, identify themselves, and proudly make their selection. Heck, that seems like a more worthy reason for a national holiday than some we have now.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ALL FOR VOTER ID. no tax though. thats just not right. I am a property owner, I would have to give up shooting to pay the tax.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

IN order to cast a ballot you should have to bring in your last years tax returns and a photo ID. If you paid no taxes you get no ballot.

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Finally, we are getting to the root of the problems in America! Universal sufferage is bs and will destroy America just as bread and circuses destroyed Rome. "Me first" is now the rule. "America first" is now a myth.

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

IQ test. If you don't know anything about what the candidate wants or how they want to lead/serve, then you shouldn't be able to cast a vote for/against the other guy.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Voting Rights should be afforded to every citizen....

but

All persons wishing to vote must take a test, pass it and then must apply for a photo ID. To obtain the ID, one must submit citizenship papers, a current tax status and be able to pass a background check (no felony record).

Curt

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Very good should we add all of your names to the roster of the communist party.

Personally I though that in a democracy all citizens had the right to vote not the right to pay for the privilege or pass a test to prove you are worthy.

To require what you people are proposing would go against the 15th and 24th amendments to the Constitution. Which as far as I am concerned should not even be thought of by anyone that says they believe in the Second Amendment.

I say if you believe in one Amendment you have to believe in all of the Amendments.

Bob Lawless

8. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

This little ditty dosen't say anything about Democracy.

I favor the last years tax return approach myself.

Bill

9. ivanhoe

XT Bill how right you are Billy "This little ditty dosen't say anything about Democracy." your right it just doesn't have the clout the Constitution has now does it.

BTW nothing in the Constitution say you have to have an income or property!!!
    There for no tax receipt or return necessary!!!

Bob Lawless

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

As much as I hate for stupid, uneducated people to determine the outcome of elections, the U.S. Constitution, as well as English common law, protect the rights of people to vote.

However, the U.S. Constitution doesn't specifically address the right to vote. It wasn't until the XV Amendment was adopted, that the right to vote was enumerated, and even then did not address the issue of poll taxes, etc.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965, and subsequent revisions, has broadened voting rights, eliminating literacy tests, poll taxes, and the like. The downside is that the votes of the ignorant and uneducated are easily bought by those who will promise these folks other peoples' money and property. The reason that 90% of all blacks vote for Democrats is testament to the ignorance of that voting bloc. Look at pre-dominantly black cities like Detroit. There is absolutely no second party opposition to the Democrat hierarchy, and the result is a long list of promises, no delivery, and the steady decline of quality of life and economic growth for those cities.

This is the price we are now paying for the truly uneducated.

Dennis

11. ivanhoe

Very good should we add all of your names to the roster of the communist party.

Personally I though that in a democracy all citizens had the right to vote not the right to pay for the privilege or pass a test to prove you are worthy.

To require what you people are proposing would go against the 15th and 24th amendments to the Constitution. Which as far as I am concerned should not even be thought of by anyone that says they believe in the Second Amendment.

I say if you believe in one Amendment you have to believe in all of the Amendments.

Bob Lawless

12. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

This little ditty dosen't say anything about Democracy.

I favor the last years tax return approach myself.

Bill

13. ivanhoe

XT Bill how right you are Billy "This little ditty dosen't say anything about Democracy." your right it just doesn't have the clout the Constitution has now does it.

BTW nothing in the Constitution say you have to have an income or property!!!
    There for no tax receipt or return necessary!!!

Bob Lawless

14. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

As much as I hate for stupid, uneducated people to determine the outcome of elections, the U.S. Constitution, as well as English common law, protect the rights of people to vote.

However, the U.S. Constitution doesn't specifically address the right to vote. It wasn't until the XV Amendment was adopted, that the right to vote was enumerated, and even then did not address the issue of poll taxes, etc.

The Voting Rights Act of 1965, and subsequent revisions, has broadened voting rights, eliminating literacy tests, poll taxes, and the like. The downside is that the votes of the ignorant and uneducated are easily bought by those who will promise these folks other peoples' money and property. The reason that 90% of all blacks vote for Democrats is testament to the ignorance of that voting bloc. Look at pre-dominantly black cities like Detroit. There is absolutely no second party opposition to the Democrat hierarchy, and the result is a long list of promises, no delivery, and the steady decline of quality of life and economic growth for those cities.

This is the price we are now paying for the truly uneducated.

Dennis

15. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Dennis said it well...
    From 1776 to 1965 this new nation managed to become the most powerful, most successful, richest country on the planet. THEN we became "enlightened"... voting rolls WIDE FREAKIN' OPEN...Universal suffrage etc...
    How's THAT been working out for you...????
    The fact is, that through the formative, struggling, building years that made this country into what it is ( or at least....what it was ...) There was NO "universal suffrage".

16. ivanhoe

pendennis

"It wasn't until the XV Amendment was adopted, that the right to vote was enumerated, and even then did not address the issue of poll taxes, etc."

You are correct it did not address poll tax. The first 24 words of the amendment eliminates everything else.

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State"

Wouldn't you say or am I just imagining it?

Bob Lawless

17. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I always thought there should be a "Personal Qualification Card". It could be a simple "PQ" stamp on a driver's license or ID card.

Want to vote? Need the card. You want to get gold teeth rather than plain plastic? Need the card. Want to buy beer? Need the card. Lottery Tickets? Need the card. New car? you get the idea............

To get the card? You can't be on public assistance. No welfare. No food stamps. No WIC. No section 8 housing. Need to have filed a tax return last year. bla bla bla.

I know it's impossible, but I just came from the grocery store where there was a woman, 3 bratty kids in tow who bought the milk, eggs, and formula with her WIC coupons and pulled out the $100 bills for the steaks, beer, and cigarettes.

Obama's spread the wealth plan........it's enough to piss off an honest man.

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Just think for a minute...The popular vote is virtully meaningless..The Electoral College will determine the next president. A completly outdated, antiquated form of election that should have been dismantled many years ago.
    We have instantanious electronic capabilities of counting ballots (disregard Florida) The thought of illigals possibly casting a vote for the president of our country as the "O" boy wants is completly unsatisfactory. We don't need a poll tax or Acorn or all the rest of the groups that are out to enlist all the unintelligent voters that will cast a ballot for race or religion without knowing what and where the cantidate truly stands. In the last few weeks I have read so many diparaging items regarding OBama, his beliefs, his plans for America. If even a small portion of these items work out to be true and happen he will be impeached or worse.

19. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I fully agree that the Electorial College is a very poor method. It too often fails the will of the people. Popular vote regardless of the outcome should prevail for the system to be fair and impartial. I have thought this since my first Civics class way back. J.Woolsey

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I am not smart enough to explain how constitutional scholars have ruled that the right of every citizen to vote is not guaranteed by the constitution. It has something to do with the ability of governments to put qualifications on eligible voters. I do know that a very large number of citizens are not allowed to vote because they have not meet the age requirement.

Also, I am very thankful that the founders of our country recognized that a democracy is an exceptionally poor form of government and they set the United States up as a republic.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.