1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BRING BACK THE GOOD OLD DAYS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

when i first started shooting we did not have adjustable stocks, choke tubes, adjustable ribs, floursent beads, screw on weights, etc. you took your shotgun out of the box, cleaned it, and shot it. if the stock was to low, you added duct tape, or the other stuff you put in shoes, can't remember the name. if you owned a pump or semi auto, you could also re inlet the stock to the receiver. if the barrel shot low, you wacked it or placed in on a car bumper or in a crotch of a tree until it shot were you looked. this was trapshooting at it's finest. if i paid the amount today for guns with all the bells and whistles and i stil could not break a good score, i would quit and take up golf. the younger people today expect all the bells and whistles on guns. nothing wrong with that, infact i encourage it. reason being, i can purchase guns at a lower price on the used gun rack with fixed chokes at somewhat a reasonable price. only problem is if i want to trade in a gun with a fixed choke, it's usually worth nothing, and i hear the story of how the gun will die on the shelf. thats a load of mule muffins because no matter what you have to sell, someone will want it. also, i don't like to shoot at fancy pants gun clubs with computers either. i don't have cable tv, it would kill me to pay to watch tv. i still use an old fashion rabbit ears, i have a black and white tv, if i want color, i put pink cellephane over the screen. on saturdays i visit area clubs, on sunday mornings i go to church. after church i go to shoot. when i get home i have the kids over with their families, have a nice meal, and make home made ice cream. my life is as simple as it gets. i don't need stress, don't need alot of money. at Christmas, we have the old fashion type. everyone gets only one gift. some are made by hand, some are purchased. all gifts are under $10.00. we have a family meal, go to midnight mass, and then have a family breakfast around 2am. everyone seeks happiness, in my life, i am happy, have a good wife, great kids, great grandkids, great son in law that shoots too. by the way, i still use hoppe's #9, love the smell. when you clean a gun with hoppes, the smell brings me back in time from when i first started shooting. i guess i am an old coot that is stuck in his old ways, but i love my life the way it is. if i could just find my first car, a 1955 chevy belair, two toned in blue and white.
    take care,
    steve balistreri

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

$.25 a gallon gas......$.05 pack of smokes!!!

tony

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I was reminded once about "Bringing back the Good Old Days"....

The reminder was.......turn off my air conditioner when the outside temperature is 95 degs.

Be careful what we wish for!!

Curt

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Things were never as good as I remember them being. How many farm boys remember the square bails before round bails?

Pat Ireland

5. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

The bells and whistles of today will be memories someday as well. I bet some trapshooter in the future might even someday say something like "Heck, I recall when we used to adjust ribs, combs and change chokes to help break targets but that was way back when we still used gunpowder and lead shot."

6. k810329

k810329 Member

great post

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

"Things were never as good as I remember them being. How many farm boys remember the square bails before round bails?

Pat Ireland"

I do and made really good money putting up hay during my high school years and in the summers between college. Bought my cars, gas and dates (can't say girls as that would be illegal). The round bales put me out of business. I hated the round bales, but I was lucky and had another job.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I remember the days when premium shells were only $9 a box; you could buy a good trap gun for under $ 10,000; if you wanted to adjust the point-of-aim you had to put little plastic washers under the comb; and you used a little allen wrench to adjust the rib; cars ran on gasoline, and you had to fill up the tank every 300 miles at stores that sold gas called gas stations; TV sets used a cable to get pictures; or a big dish put up on your roof..

The simpler times.

9. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

The "good old days' were also called the apple-selling depression days. The old timers recall twenty five cent beefsteak but can't remember not having a quarter. Don

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I didn't live in it but the 30's were a crap sandwich for many.

People have a habit of remembering the good things. In 1944 I found a book of ration coupons, my mom got so excited she cried.

Dad took the bus to work because he didn't want to wear out his tires. He walked a mile and a half after he got off.

The best part was Mom was always home if you got hungry or scraped your knee or got in a fight.

We forget the bad and remember the good. That's the way it should be.

HM

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Pat, I must really be old.

I remember putting hay up in the haymow when it was loose and not to many people baled hay way back then.

Hauxfan!

12. senior smoke

those were the days!!!!!
    steve

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Pat, one of the most miserable days I ever spent was in July back in Michigan in the late 70s. It was close to 100 degrees with high humidity. I was helping a friend who had a dairy farm pick up the square bales from the field, then stack them in the loft in his barn. I've always been very susceptible to hay fever, and the combination of heat, humidity, and pollen in that loft made for one miserable day!

14. willing

willing Member

Pat
    We used a mower, side teder rake ,hay loader and finally a fork that rode on a track in the peak of the barn. Square bailers were few and seldom seen.
    late 30s and early 40s.

Bill

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Me too Pat...I spent summers as a kid baling hay, hauling hay and stacking hay...all small square bales....and my Ljutic doesn't have anything on it that adjusts....and it works just fine....

16. senior smoke

now be honest, if anyone can tell me this country is better today than in the 50's, i would like to know what you are smoking? people for the most part were kind to each other, jobs were plentiful, employers and employees were loyal to each other. most people were proud to work for a certain company. we still had family values. when most kids came home from school your mom was waiting for you. i would not trade in any of those things for air conditioning, better cars, etc. was life more difficult, maybe, maybe not. i see people working 2, 3, 4 jobs to try to make ends meet. the husband works, the wife works, and som e still can't make it. years ago if you had a tv, a car, you were happy as heck. nowadays, people have tv's in almost every room in the house, nyumerous cars, work morning to night. are we really better off? today shooters spend a years salary on a trap gun. most can't afford it so they pay for a gun on time payments. what is wrong with a working man shooting with an 870, a model 12, an 1100? to me, we have become a nation that we feel a need to impress others. if you didn't live in the 50's i understand that this lifestyle is hard to comprehend. i sometime think we are becoming a country of fat cats and want to bes. this country as a whole needs to get back to basics. maybe i am wrong, but i don't think so. i will get off my soap box now.
    steve

Bluedotman thanked this.
  17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Amen to SS last comment!

18. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Ya, I remember the "Good Ole Days", when we came back from South East Asia and hit Travis Air Base and the locals just spit on us. Now, when I meet my son at the Airport after he has been to Afghanistan I can hardly talk and stuff seems to get in my eyes for a few minutes. Ya, I dont miss the old days abit.

19. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Got paid a cent and a half per square bale to stack 'em and rack 'em. A good day would pay fifteen to twenty dollars, way more than I'd make working in a grocery store for $.75/hour.

Gas was $.28, and $.75/hour meant I could get three gallons for an hour's work. I don't work now so I guess it was cheaper then. (Just before I retired, however, I could buy ten gallons of gas for an hour's work, and gas was $4.00).

The defining "best" part of the good old days to me was that America was more of a democracy than it seems to be now, the president (Ike) loved his country and had experience in running a big organization (the Army). You could get a job most anywhere, few people felt entitled to start out with the best and you worked up to whatever you could. We didn't have zero interest loans, new college graduates didn't buy quarter to half million dollar houses and have two or three new cars and a Harley, all bought on time. Fewer bankruptcies also...but then a bankruptcy was a shameful event. You paid your bills and tried your best to have the cash before you bought.

Government encouraged you to work, encouraged business to grow, stayed mostly out of the private sector.

What has changed? Pretty obvious.

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Remember when Fri day night meant something special. Weekendss were used for something else before I discovered trap shooting. You felt richer with a few hundred bucks in your pocket than having a $---------. in the bank. Trade it all to turn the clock back.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.