1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brilliant Marketing?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I just received a catalog from Connecticut. Their new 20Ga Inverness (O/U with 28 or 30 inch barrels)will retail for $8,995. The first 500 people to order can have it for $4,995. Current customers get $1,000 off and get another $1,000 off by paying in full. That computes to $2,995 for a gun they expect to sell for $8,995.

The question remains... Is it actually worth $2,995 or $8,995? I think so.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Well what is worth???

How much did it cost to design?

How much did it cost to produce:

Labor (labor taxes paid to Fed, insurance, compliance)

Raw Materials (wood, steel, other)

Capitol (land, building, machinery, insurance, utilities, office furniture and materials, including computers.

Incidentals, (attorneys, lawsuits against gun makers, deaths, injuries, shipping costs, taxes on land and assets.

How much has it cost to market?

What much must the company sell their product for to make a profit and pay the stock owners, investors, etc?

Why would anybody buy a SxS when O/U dominate the market?

Perhaps they are in trouble and must bring some money back in, even if it means selling some product at a loss.

Worth is a relative term, what is priceless to me can be worthless to another.

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

This ain't a KX-6. CSMC has made three such offers: The RBL Launch in 20Ga SXS, the A-10 American O/U and now, the Inverness. I took Mr. Galazan up on, and have taken delivery of the RBL and the A-10, and am anxiously waiting for delivery of the Inverness. Both of the above guns were purchased on the pay up front and wait discount and were worth every penny, as both are sensational guns and worth considerably more than I paid. Here's the A-10:Sorry about the feet(s)

mikepoore_2008_270828.jpg

mikepoore_2008_270831.jpg

mikepoore_2008_270830.jpg

4. GrandpasArms

I have one of the SxS RBLs in 12 gauge and it is a delight to own and shoot (skeet and sporting clays) - in spite of the fact that the O/Us dominate the market.

I suspect a new Inverness will also find its way to my collection.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Do they regulate the barrels to your desired POI?

6. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

You will pay that much for a Browning and have a gun that is not as mass produced.

Please note, the re-sale on the RBL has not been as strong as what some of the speculators thought they would be.

But, you will have a shooter at a good price.

IMHO

OB

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

There is the real value or worth, if it is something you are willing to spend the money on it and are happy with it,

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

They had their trailer at the side by side exhibition at Deep River Sporting
    Clays in Sanford, North Carolina. The guns on display were beautiful and nothing
    around close to those prices.

The had a full boat trap/sporting model with all the bells and whistles: adjustablecomb, adjustable high rib, etc. and a sidelock to boot. Felt like
    a Kolar.

9. GrandpasArms

The barrels are regulated just fine for me. The horizontal is spot on equal. I didn't test with a rest, but offhand the two shots almost overlapped at 35 yards. Vertically, they are dead flat, making it difficult to shoot trap - not impossible.

I'm going to try adding some foam to the comb - just for grins as I have no plans to cut that pretty wood.

I enjoy the "feel" of a SxS and (probably) enjoy the looks I get when I'm shooting one. At this stage of the game I know I'll never be a competitive shooter. That means I should enjoy what I do and how I go about doing it.

The RBL 12- Sporting Clays Model might be an alternative to getting "just another O/U". I know the quality of CSMC first hand and this sporting clays gun is at approximately the same price point as other quality guns. Maybe.... At least I can dream (lust?). I was able to handle and trial teh RBL before I ordered it. I'm hoping to find someone who will allow me to do the same with a
    RBL 12- Sporting Clays Model.

10. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

There is apparently still some debate as to whether this gun will sell for a normal retail of $4995 or $8995 - or somewhere in between. It is hoped it will fill a niche below what the A-10 sells for.

No, for $2995 they do not regulate the barrels to shoot at your personal point of aim. This is a very, very nice scaled frame 20-gauge over-under. It is not a 100% custom made gun. The stock dimensions will be 1-3/8 x 2-1/2 x 14-3/8. You can get either a high-gloss hand rubbed oil finish or a satin oil finish. No upcharge.

There really are not a lot of options. Why? Because the more options offered, the more production is slowed down, which increases cost per unit produced. You can choose among the following options:

28" or 30" barrels.

pistol grip or straight stock.

standard pad or leather pad ($550 upgrade).

standard bottom tang or long tang ($700 upgrade).

Of course, there are wood upgrades. In American black walnut those would go $350, $600 and $900.

The gun comes with five tru-lock screw chokes, accessories and a nice leather/canvas case. That is about it. After the first 500 are sold, the $2995 price goes away. At the end of the N.C. Side x Side event 364 had been pre-sold.

Whether or not you are a current customer, you can get one for $2995 now, if you pay in full up front.

I will say this: With 30" barrels it is a sweet swinging little gun which you can carry ALL day long while pheasant hunting. But for the fact I, personally, need a little more comb height, it is a gun I will buy.

Maybe, just maybe, someday (several years) it will be offered in 28-ga.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.